Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which HD monitor/display do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're prepared to accept that the set isn't 1080 (look at its native res), that should work.

Comment

Right now I tried the LG Flatron L246WH with an Sony Cam HC3 via HDMI. The problem with the croped preview is the same like with the HD Storm. So it´s definitly the monitor making the problems.

I´m going to contact the german LG Support and will report again.

Markus, Austria

Comment

After a short call with the LG support it is clear: the LG Flatron L246WH applies overscan via HDMI!

But my experience is that the overscan is applied just on video signals and not on computer signals!

Comment

Correct, overscan on computer signals would **** people off. :)

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_hd View Post
            Eizo doesn't do overscan.

Andrew
            NX/SP users beware: the Eizo lacks analog inputs!

Comment

Analog inputs :)

Andrew
              Sorry Andrew but I was referring to video inputs. The Eizo doesn't have composite, s-video or component.

Comment

Here in Austria and Germany the Eizo costs around EUR 1.000,- incl. vat. You can get the HP under EUR 600,-.

Comment

I don't understand, but I assume you will.

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test...o-hd2442w.html

UK- 999 Pounds +VAT !!!!

Andrew
                  Sorry, have been mixing up two threads. I' m referring to the HP LP2475w in my 'found a perfect display' thread:

http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ead.php?t=8386

999 Pounds is extremely expensive. Hopefully you can order your stuff from a dealer eg in Germany.

Comment

Analog inputs ?? :)

More important problem is colour reproduction. All "home" LCDs will have wrong colours- mostly oversaturated.
                    For proper monitoring I would go for JVC broadcast monitor- very good for it's price.
                    Eizo is good, because has lots of settings (like saturation) and can be calibrated.

I've compared few monitors with brodcast monitor and colour difference is huge.

Andrew
                    Yes. However you can calibrate it to come as close as possible to how the original color is. Also depends on the panel. For example higher end Samsung and Sharp/Sony panels are very good.

I wouldn't trust the JVC monitor...only good thing they have are broadcast standard options such as underscan and SDI. Other than that these panels are not that high in resolution. A better monitor would be a Sony Luma.

Never seen an Eizo so can't comment.

Right now I do HD work on the Bravia (custom configured color settings). SD work I do it on my Sony broadcast CRT monitor, but sometimes preview on the Bravia to get the "big picture". I wish HD CRT monitors were as cheap as SD CRT monitors. Hopefully LCD technology gets really close to CRT in terms of proper reproduction of colors for video work.

Comment

" Hopefully LCD technology gets really close to CRT in terms of proper reproduction of colors for video work."

Yeah but there almost no CRT HD in people home, only LCD, Plasma or DLP, I sitll have an old HD CRT rear projection and it is about to die, so we might as well use LCD with proper calibration and use them as our editing monitor.
                      I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

I thought about that...but higher end post facilities still use the huge Sony CRT HD monitor for color correction. There has to be a standard somewhere...But since most of us are not doing the next Gladiator, I guess we'll stick to LCD :)

Comment

Yeah I saw one, I believe it was a Sony 17" or 21" 1080i, can't remember, I'm sure the color was very accurate but I was not impressed with the resolution, I thought my LCD was much sharper than the CRT.
                          I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

Upgrading to HD

Hi all,

I'm getting a whole new studio, upgrading to HD, and I've been pulling my hair out at the expensive prices of production monitors on the B&H website. I plan to use HDSTORM, and is it really, really true that I can use a good (multisystem) HD LCD television as a production monitor? Because if so, that is a brilliant solution. Sizes are bigger and prices are way, way lower.

If you all can confirm this then I am binning the previous idea and buying a 32" Sony HDLCD . . .

Waiting eagerly!

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Barnard View Post
                              Hi all,

I'm getting a whole new studio, upgrading to HD, and I've been pulling my hair out at the expensive prices of production monitors on the B&H website. I plan to use HDSTORM, and is it really, really true that I can use a good (multisystem) HD LCD television as a production monitor? Because if so, that is a brilliant solution. Sizes are bigger and prices are way, way lower.

If you all can confirm this then I am binning the previous idea and buying a 32" Sony HDLCD . . .

Waiting eagerly!

Chris
                              If your absolute color grading is not Super super critical yes you can. Just got back from HARPO and they have Panasonic HD TVs between 50-55" in their edit rooms. Be advised that some of your SD work may not look very good on it.
                              Last edited by pjsssss; 01-10-2010, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Thanks pjsssss!

So what is the best recommended colour grading solution to a semi/pro amateur who has never colour graded anything (I've just been shooting very small tourist weddings for the last 8 years!)?

I was thinking of getting a good 32" Sony or something like this Samsung:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

Excellent - thanks again for the help!

Chris

ps no probs with the SD footage!

Comment

Working...
                                X