Reserecting Storm2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserecting Storm2

I presently have a rockstable Storm2 system ; P4 3.06 , 1gig ram, with a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4800SE card. Running Edius 4.62. This is an AGP machine

I would like to bring it to life for a little longer,

What do you think of this video card upgrade?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...381&CatId=2234

Is it worth spending the $ on this or saving for a new computer?
    [COLOR="Teal"]
    Main System:
    Edius WG 8.53, Alienware Aurora R7, 8th Gen Intel(R) Core i7,256GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive,(Programs ),2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage), 1TB Samsung SSD (Storage)16GB DDR4,NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X' 850W PSU ,Windows 10 Pro
    2nd: Asus Republic of gamers Rampage 3, 6 gb, nVidia gtx, i7, win7, Edius WG 8.52 /w Spark card.
    3nd: Dell precision mobile M4600 workstation i7, nVidia 2000m, Edius 6.08.

I would go for it as it is AGP and their isn't a big selection these days,
    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

Originally posted by George_S View Post
      I presently have a rockstable Storm2 system ; P4 3.06 , 1gig ram, with a nVidia GeForce4 Ti4800SE card. Running Edius 4.62. This is an AGP machine

I would like to bring it to life for a little longer,

What do you think of this video card upgrade?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...381&CatId=2234

Is it worth spending the $ on this or saving for a new computer?

Here is the newegg link.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D%203850%20agp

also read the customer comments. Couple of hints in there.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I hope this would help with Xplode Pro effects rendering.
        [COLOR="Teal"]
        Main System:
        Edius WG 8.53, Alienware Aurora R7, 8th Gen Intel(R) Core i7,256GB M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive,(Programs ),2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s (Storage), 1TB Samsung SSD (Storage)16GB DDR4,NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X' 850W PSU ,Windows 10 Pro
        2nd: Asus Republic of gamers Rampage 3, 6 gb, nVidia gtx, i7, win7, Edius WG 8.52 /w Spark card.

Comment

Unless you want the card for other things other than Storm use, a X1650PRO is a cheaper card and gives good performance with Storm, whatever card you use be sure to uninstall the nVidia drivers first before shutting down the system to change the cards
          GA-EP45C-DSR3,Core2Q3ghz,8gig1066,260GTX,2x 20"AOC,22"Vizio1080pTV, Edius5/HDspark,PC3,Imaginate, CS5ProdStudio/IntensityPro,Win7_64
          HPdv7t 17"notebook,8gig,2 IntHD,9600GT512M,17"extmon, Edius4.61,CS4Prodstudio.Win7_64,MX02Mini
          DAW,HPdv9000,x2Turion,4Gig,2IntHD,Audition3,Cubase 4,XPpro,Alessis F/Wmixer,M-Audio F/Wmixer,BCF2000, BehringerMixers, Fender sound sys
          Numerous Ext eSATA drives & Raids shared between systems

Comment

Put in more ram as well.

Comment

StormDave is correct, put more ram in as well, 1gig is not enough these days for really anything.

Steve
              Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

OK, I,ve also decided to upgrade the power supply, Sapphire recommends at least 30 amps for the 12 volt supply , so I found a deal on a Corsair 650w, I know it may bea little over kill.
                [COLOR="Teal"]
                Main System:

Comment

Since you're on your way of upgrading all this stuff, I recommend building a new PC instead with a new C2D processor. You can still use the Storm with 4.x, and when you're ready to upgrade you can move to the HDStorm and still use the same PC.

Comment

I agree with StormDave. Barring a broken video card in an otherwise good system, if you're going to spend money on things, spend it on a new system.

Comment

Thanks for the advise, however I went ahead and did the upgrade on the old box . I am writing to thank you and to report on the results which a few of you already know. All went as planned with the harware install, and I installed the latest drivers and software for the Saphire ati 3850. It has so many features and settings , including over clocking, if you want to go there, that I decided to play it safe and leave all at default.

Rendering a xplode album transition seemed to be slower than before the change, so I tried the Excellerater Fix that has be posted here, And to my surprise, IT WORKED! Not total realtime but the same Album transition went from requiring a 3 minutes render, to playing using the buffer down to 3 or 2 on a 3 second transition.

The problem that I need help with is, I have a problem with the overlay in the record and play windows. I only see a still frame of the timeline (no movement) If I go to the Capture menu and select DVStorm , it update the overlay window with another still frame. The output from firewire is fine.
                      Please Help if you can.
                      [COLOR="Teal"]
                      Main System:

Comment

Ah ha...you got that too....there was a fix posted for that some time ago....you may have to do a search for it.......let me see if I can find it for you......it is something to add to the INI file in windows....dont want to try to remember and put you wong, so I will try to find it, and post it, but do a search in the mean time.....think it may be found under 'real time'....not sure,

Comment

I will try to find something on the realtime issue, I would appreciate any assistance.
                          [COLOR="Teal"]
                          Main System:

Comment

here is the files to add to the ini files........
                            [DVStorm-RT.stmcore.conf]
                            OverlayMethod=1

[DVStorm-RT.stmdd]
                            OverlayUpdateMethod=0

But this time the overlay remained black. So I searched my notes and found an old Edius V2.5 setting:

OverlayMethod=1

[CtsHal]
                            OverlayUpdateMethod=1

if the overlay dont work, just change the numbers from 0 to 1 and visa versa

Comment

Originally posted by Alade View Post
                              here is the files to add to the ini files........
                              OverlayMethod=1

[DVStorm-RT.stmdd]
                              OverlayUpdateMethod=0

But this time the overlay remained black. So I searched my notes and found an old Edius V2.5 setting:

OverlayMethod=1

[CtsHal]
                              OverlayUpdateMethod=1

if the overlay dont work, just change the numbers from 0 to 1 and visa versa
                              Thanks for this info, I got it working by selecting (refresh Overlay). Where do I find this INI file ?
                              Also, I keep my Edius 3.62 operating just for the Photo Album effects; where can I find the overlay option for that program and in addition, its INI file.

George_S
                              [COLOR="Teal"]
                              Main System:

Comment

Working...
                              X