Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• antonsvideo
    replied
    go to device manager and under "sound video game", check the driver version and driver date of your HX-E1

Leave a comment:

• PaulTV
    replied
    It appears to me that there is a performance hit with each update - to be expected, but when a dual Xeon 3.4 system can't handle whats happening, I feel that GV should change their "minimum specs" to a more realistic level, I mean this is editing software, I need to be able to edit fluidly, which I could on 4.5, then 4.6 got edgy now 5 is impossible - on my system that is, it's fine on my laptop, does this point to an NX issue again I wonder, as discussed and never answered in previous 4.6 threads.

blimey, I don't know, just another mule being led by the nose to the inevitable upgrade manger - moo, baaah

Paul

Just wanna edit.

Leave a comment:

• Martin_Gleeson
    replied
    Originally posted by PaulTV View Post
    Odd, but this realtime issue appears to be being ignored by GV - no comment?
    or is it in fact a known problem? (discounting the pinp thing which is a known bug)

Paul
    I recall seeing a reply to a post regarding 3d PiP performance. The reply was from one of the GV guys and said that a performance issue had been identified in 3d PiP during beta and that the technical team were aware of it.

Thread is here (second post from Kenneally) http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...0&highlight=3d:

There has been an overhead introduced with 3DPiP in v5, however it appears to be a bit too severe than was intended. It is being investigated as per beta test reports.
    Last edited by Martin_Gleeson; 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PaulTV
    replied
    Odd, but this realtime issue appears to be being ignored by GV - no comment?
    or is it in fact a known problem? (discounting the pinp thing which is a known bug)

Paul

Leave a comment:

• tuyle
    replied
    Martin,
    You are right, only problem in real time with 3d PIP for HDV (SD is running smooth). All effects are good (including GPU).

Do you have the Audio Mixer open or close ? When I have it open, the RT is better - weird !

Leave a comment:

• PaulTV
    replied
    More on my RT issue with my Supermicro - strange how even when the timeline is dragging its feet and failing to play in realtime, my CPU usage does not exceed 70%, whilst my laptop will max out at 100% when the application is struggling - is this a difference between XP and Vista - me I don't have a clue, but it's real strange.

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Martin_Gleeson
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
    To put the tread back on track, is the RT performance due to the Graphics card or just using CPU power, from what I can see the only time the GPU is used is for the GPU transitions.
    Exactly. That is all it is used for. Vitascene and the new GPU effects will benefit from a good grapics card. The 3d PiP and other RT performance issue in V5 are a completely different issue.

Personally, I don't see the point in chaning my mainboard just to put in a 200 series graphics card when a 9800GT would probably do just as well for Edius GPU effects. Now, if the graphics card affected ALL of Edius RT playback, that would be a different story. But it doesn't.

Martin
    Last edited by Martin_Gleeson; 10-05-2008, 04:03 PM. Reason: Typo

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    To put the tread back on track, is the RT performance due to the Graphics card or just using CPU power, from what I can see the only time the GPU is used is for the GPU transitions.
    So far as RT hit is concerned I used to be able he play a clip with 4 tracks of PIP clips sitting above it in RT provided they were a max of 5 secs, now it is only 2
    When the third is added it will play for 4 secs and then stutter
    That is providing the buffer has been able to fully fill before the overlay of clips
    At 5 Secs if playback is started at the beginning of the overlays with prefill using "Shift+Space" I can play well over 10 tracks, have not reached a limit and decided this was not valid as Edius is pre encoding and 5 secs is not long enough, the more you add the longer it takes to prefill and there is no decrease in the buffer
    From what I have been reading on the forum GV are aware of the hit, perhaps we will see an improvement "SOON!"
    BUT if all you want is to have PIP then use the layout tool I have gone to 15 tracks and still plays back in RT providing there has been sufficient time to prefill
    Regards Barry
    Last edited by Bluetongue; 10-05-2008, 10:20 AM.

Leave a comment:

• swsw1550
    replied
    Nothing to do with Games, with up to 240 processor cores, Full 128-bit floating point precision. it's to do with the GPU!
    All the cards mentioned above are pure game cards, the newer 200 series cards are going both ways as I explained above,
    with rendering, phyx's, ect.
    Last edited by swsw1550; 10-05-2008, 09:16 AM.

Leave a comment:

• redgum
    replied
    Just a pity Edius won't use most of these features. Good game card though.

Leave a comment:

• swsw1550
    replied
    Yeah but if you want the performance you have got to make the Sacrifice,
    you just won't get the performance from the other cards like the 200 series offer.

Steve

Leave a comment:

• Martin_Gleeson
    replied
    Thanks Steve, but the 200 series require 2 PCI slots.

Leave a comment:

• swsw1550
    replied
    Stay away from all the cards mentionned above, do your self a favour and have a look at either a NVidia 260GT or 280GT, these cards have full 4 point floating processors on board. the new 200 series cards have come a long way with built in Phyx's Technology,Up to 240 processor cores,Full 128-bit floating point precision through the entire rendering pipeline, Microsoft DirectX 10.0 Shader Model 4.0 and OpenGL 2.1, Dedicated on-chip video processor, 1.4 billion transistors in 65nm process technology, ect ect, I could keep going on but check one out for yourself, you won't regret it.

Cheers
    Steve

Leave a comment:

• tuyle
    replied
    Originally posted by Martin_Gleeson View Post
    Sorry, but since these questions are kind of specific, I thought I'd raise a new thread. This is using Edius 4.6. For the most part, RT is ok on my system. However, I noticed with a recent project that using PiP just about cripples my system. Also with Edius 5 being installed soon, I wonder if there is a bottleneck on the system. Also, I can't play Vitascene effects in Realtime.

Clip is: Canopus HQ 1440/1080

I notice that with a single Pip, Slow motion and a Smooth blur, the system cannot play realtime. Two PiP's wont play realtime either.

My system is:

Mainboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe,I975X,Socket-775,ATX, SATAIIx7, Dual-GbLAN, DDR2, 2xPCI-Ex16
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700 2.67GHz Socket LGA775 (Quad code)
    Memory: 2GB Corsair TWIN2X 8500C5 DDR2
    Graphics: XFX GeForce 7900GS 525M 256MB GDDR3, XT-X, PCI-Express, 525/1550Mhz
    System Drive: Samsung SpinPoint T166 320GB SATA2 16MB 7200RPM
    Video Drives: Couple of 7200's with ample speed.

Seems to me that the obvious weakness is the graphics card. But I wonder if upgrading this will make any different to things like PiP performance. Although, I realise I will need something better for Edius 5 new effects.
    Many thanks
    Martin
    Martin, I have a same motherboard as yours (but a slower CPU).
    I'm using E5 with SD and won't have any problem with 3d PIPs (4 video tracks). Just tried the Canopus HQ 1440/1080i - 5 video tracks stacked up without any problem, but with 3d PIP ... it won't pass 1 track with 3d PIP and Blur filter (barely passed 1 track with 3d PIP only).

TuyLe
    notes: I think GV knew about the issue with 3d PIP.
    Last edited by tuyle; 10-04-2008, 08:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Bandman
    replied
    Originally posted by wags View Post
    O... then that Supermicro system needs to be looked at.
    I have a Supermicro system that seems a bit lacking in performance despite having impressive system specs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X