Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedleyw
    • May 2007

Some clips in bin cause crash after upgrade to v5

Edius 5 is crashing every time it tries to display the thumbnail in the bin on several clips. These clips were captured from CF using the Sony utility and were handled ok by 4.61. Any ideas please? I have already tried creating a new project and re-importing the files without success.
    Hedley Wright
    Partner - Brett Vale Studios

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express
  • pjsssss
    • May 2007

If you use details only in the bin , does it still crash?

Comment

• hedleyw
      • May 2007

Originally posted by pjsssss
      If you use details only in the bin , does it still crash?
      Thanks for your response. Yes - even if the bin is set to details, as soon as I select one of the "bad" files to import, poof - no Edius :(.
      Hedley Wright

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express

Comment

• antonsvideo
        • May 2007

what do you mean by "import" when they are already in the bin?

do you mean when dragging to timeline?
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
          Mr Sparkle
          • Apr 2007

Any chance of us getting a sample file?

Comment

• hedleyw
            • May 2007

Originally posted by antonsvideo
            what do you mean by "import" when they are already in the bin?

do you mean when dragging to timeline?
            They (when I first discovered the problem) were already in the bin because I was opening a v4.61 project. Subsequently I tried importing files into a new v5 project where I found they would cause a crash on import. Hope that explains it?
            Hedley Wright

Comment

• hedleyw
              • May 2007

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH
              Any chance of us getting a sample file?
              Certainly. I've uploaded one to http://public.me.com/hedley.wright . When converted by visual hub to .mp4 I can see that the start of the file is corrupt - nothing unusual about that for files imported from a Sony CF module and Edius 4.61 handled them fine.
              Hedley Wright

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                Mr Sparkle
                • Apr 2007

Yeouch - that's a nasty piece of work with the start and end - lots of green MPEG breakage.

I think that's the issue - EDIUS 5 is simply quitting out in its attempt to read in the file. I'll pass it on to Japan and see what they say.

Comment

• andrewwhiteley
                  • May 2007

I have also encountered a similar problem. Fortunately for me I ghosted my C drive before upgrading to vs 5. My media is kept on a separate raid 10 array.

Upon opening an SD project with HDV m2t clips in it that worked fine in 4.61, about half of the m2t clips were reported by Vs 5 as being 'offline' - notably these were all files larger than 5Gb - the smaller ones all seemed to survive OK.

Using E5's restore clip dialogue, although I could identify the clips on the Raid, E5 would not allow me to relink these into the project. After an afternoon's frustration, I went back to version 4 using norton ghost. As I had not re-saved the project file in E5 I was fortunate in being able to re-open the project in version 4 with all clips present and correct.

Is Edius 5 more picky with m2t clips than version 4?

This issue is a real pain and renders Edius 5 unusable so far as I am concerned! A great pity because the ability to zoom into HDV clips in an SD project and maintain resolution was what persuaded me to buy it.
                  Last edited by andrewwhiteley; 11-05-2008, 10:52 AM.
                  Andrew Whiteley

Edius Workstation 9.51 on Intensity pro 4k, Windows 10 pro 64bit, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170, GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, i7 6700K 4.0GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 'C' drive Samsung M.2 256Gb,
                  Media drive 2 X Samsung 850 pro 1Tb RAID 0,
                  Archive media drive Hitachi 4TB

Comment

• hedleyw
                    • May 2007

Yeouch - that's a nasty piece of work with the start and end - lots of green MPEG breakage.

I think that's the issue - EDIUS 5 is simply quitting out in its attempt to read in the file. I'll pass it on to Japan and see what they say.
                    Thanks very much. Edius 5 is certainly unable to load these files where 4.6x could. Quite a lot of my files are like this if recording to tape and cf simultaneously in a run & gun environment; if it can't be fixed I've wasted my money on the upgrade :(
                    Hedley Wright

Comment

• Rusty
                      • May 2007

I've had a similar Edius crash scenario in v4.x.
                      Load the project ok and as I scroll down to the problem files in the Bin and >poof!< Edius is gone! The files would play with VLC or Media Player, but the problem was obvious.

I'd been able to scroll to where I can just see the top of the suspect file in the bin and remove it with success. (this takes some patients) Then re-capture. Mostly caused by tape errors. If you're really stuck, maybe try an analog capture :~/. I have.
                      Rusty Rogers | Films
                      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

• hedleyw
                        • May 2007

Thanks Rusty. I found the easiest way of identifying the problem files was switching the bin to list view (six files in view at any one time) so it was easy to workout the file number when Edius quit. Then move the file with Explore and delete the offline clip in Edius after restarting.

Analogue ingest is a definite last resort for obvious reasons but, other than reverting to v4.6x would be the only way. At a typical wedding as many as 5% of my clips are affected. These clips all loaded fine before upgrading to v5 so something has changed for the worse with the new version. Hopefully Keneally's post to Japan will produce a solution,
                        Hedley Wright

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                          Mr Sparkle
                          • Apr 2007

Word back is that engineering have identified the issue, and say that it will be fixed in an upcoming update.

Comment

• andrewwhiteley
                            • May 2007

Word back is that engineering have identified the issue, and say that it will be fixed in an upcoming update.
                            Does this also include the issue I identified 5 posts back of unlinking m2t files
                            from the bin? - if this is fixed I'll be a very happy man!
                            Andrew Whiteley

Edius Workstation 9.51 on Intensity pro 4k, Windows 10 pro 64bit, Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI Intel Z170, GTX 750 Ti 2Gb, i7 6700K 4.0GHz, 32 Gb RAM, 'C' drive Samsung M.2 256Gb,
                            Media drive 2 X Samsung 850 pro 1Tb RAID 0,
                            Archive media drive Hitachi 4TB

Comment

• GrassValley_KH
                              Mr Sparkle
                              • Apr 2007

Is the behaviour the same? In other words, if you open one of those M2T files in a new empty project's bin, will it dump EDIUS back to the desktop?

If not, we might need to get a sample file + project that consistently breaks for you, to test.

Comment

Working...