X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gianvito
    • May 2007

HDStorm VS NXExpress

Hi all,
    I'd like to upgrade from DVStorm2/Edius 4.6x to SomeThing/Edius 5.....I have read other topics about HDStorm etc...btw...

Can you please say me the real differences between the 2 cards? I have understood that the NX has Firewire IN/Out (that I need) and HDMI out (with the HD card) while the HDStorm hasn't Firewire IN/OUT, but has HDMI in/out...

Are these the only differences between the 2 cards!? Thanks
  • GrassValley_BH
    Demystifier/Analogizer
    • Apr 2007

No HDMI anything on NX.
    See http://desktop.grassvalley.com/products/nlesystems.php

Comment

• tuyle
      • May 2007

NX Express has expansion card with component out not HDMI
      Asus X99-A/USB3.1 - Samsung EVO870 1TB - Win10Pro - Edius 7.53

Comment

• gianvito
        • May 2007

Oh ok...that links seems to be good....btw, which are the advantages of these:

Onboard DV codec chip for hardware-assisted real-time DV editing and output (in the NX Express)

and

Onboard Canopus HQ codec chip for hardware-assisted file capture and export (in HDStorm)

In which situations could these chips be good?

Comment

• Jerry
          • May 2007

Originally posted by gianvito
          Oh ok...that links seems to be good....btw, which are the advantages of these:

Onboard DV codec chip for hardware-assisted real-time DV editing and output (in the NX Express)

and

Onboard Canopus HQ codec chip for hardware-assisted file capture and export (in HDStorm)

In which situations could these chips be good?
          If you use only one codec when you capture or import, basically all you use is Edius, then the HDSTORM is for you. It will only capture in HQ. The onboard chipset 'speeds' up the capture process to free your cpu from doing the job.

If you are starting new, I would recommend you going with the HDSTORM+.
          It is a new product and the NX has been out a few years. So the product life will extend longer with the HDSTORM.

The HDMI output is a little more vivid than with analog. However, both are good. The HDSTORM, I believe, only takes up one slot, where my NX takes up 2.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
            Demystifier/Analogizer
            • Apr 2007

The DV hardware codec on EDIUS NX/SP provides real-time DV output from the timeline over Firewire without burdening the CPU.

The HQ hardware codec on HDSTORM provides accelerated HQ codec AVI file output from the timeline, leaving more CPU power for rendering timeline effects.

Comment

• fluppe85
              • Aug 2008

I'm a little bit in the same place as you are. I also use only DV in/out for the moment, although my local reseller suggested me to go for the new HDstorm for following reasons (also see this thread: http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...d.php?t=8036):
              • Firewire in/out has no advantage being on the NX board as it is just the same as connecting on a Firewire PCI card;
              • The NX Express already stands for a couple of years, so it probably won't work anymore with following versions;
              • The new HDstorm with bay (pluw version) is cheaper than the NX without bay;
              • If you would change to HD in the next few months (maybe a year), you're directly settled with the needed connections.

Like they told me (see above), I wouldn't buy the NX Express. But are there really nothing but advantages with the new HDstorm or in which particular point is the NX Express more suggested?

Comment

• Jerry
                • May 2007

Originally posted by fluppe85
                I'm a little bit in the same place as you are. I also use only DV in/out for the moment, although my local reseller suggested me to go for the new HDstorm for following reasons (also see this thread: http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...d.php?t=8036):
                • Firewire in/out has no advantage being on the NX board as it is just the same as connecting on a Firewire PCI card;
                • The NX Express already stands for a couple of years, so it probably won't work anymore with following versions;
                • The new HDstorm with bay (pluw version) is cheaper than the NX without bay;
                • If you would change to HD in the next few months (maybe a year), you're directly settled with the needed connections.

Like they told me (see above), I wouldn't buy the NX Express. But are there really nothing but advantages with the new HDstorm or in which particular point is the NX Express more suggested?
                1. I use both firewire connectors. Mobo and NX.
                2. I think we will get at least through V6 on the NX. Unless the major rewrite for V6 changes the way the hardware interacts with the software and requires something distinctly different than what the NX has on board.
                3. I paid the same price for the NX and bay a couple of years ago as the upgrade price for the HDSTORM+ now.
                4. You are right to some extent. If you are just using HDMI and analogue RCA/S/Component inputs then yes, you do have all. If you plan on using highend professional equipment that require SDI, no, you do not have all the inputs.
                That said, there is nothing in the new product line that will handle all inputs available. Even the HDTHUNDER only has SDI I/O and HDMI out. No HDMI in or analogue in. Unless a BOB or breakout cable is made available.
                But, if all you need is what the HDSTORM+ offers, that would be a smart choice for you. It is a shame that it is tied to the HQ chip. HQ, is the only capture format available to you.
                Jerry
                Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock z690 Taichi, [email protected], 64gb ram, Lian Li Galahad 360mm in push pull, Lian Li 011 Dynamic XL ROG case, 13 Lian Infinity fans, Win11 Pro , Corsair ATX 3.0 Gen 5 1200 watt PSU, Samsung 980 1tb boot NVME, 2-4TB Samsung 990 Pro's, 1TB Samsung SSD, 1-12TB Seagate Ironwolf, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black Edius X.

Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9.55, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                  Demystifier/Analogizer
                  • Apr 2007

AFAIK, there is no "ADVC mode" on the HDSTORM, as it's oriented more toward HD.

With the bay, you gain HD Component input and still have HD Component output.

HDSTORM is the way to go unless you really have no intention of going to HDMI or you really NEED the ADVC mode or you have some other strange attachment to something the NX has. Not sure if/when non-HQ format capture will be available on HDSTORM though.

Comment

• fluppe85
                    • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Jerry
                    HQ, is the only capture format available to you.
                    What do you mean with this? That I wouldn't be able to capture DV?

And about the ADVC mode: so you can not anymore convert from analogue sources to digital content? Or will e.g. VHS being converted to HD?
                    Last edited by fluppe85; 09-30-2008, 07:31 PM.

Comment

• Jerry
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH
                      AFAIK, there is no "ADVC mode" on the HDSTORM, as it's oriented more toward HD.

With the bay, you gain HD Component input and still have HD Component output.

HDSTORM is the way to go unless you really have no intention of going to HDMI or you really NEED the ADVC mode or you have some other strange attachment to something the NX has. Not sure if/when non-HQ format capture will be available on HDSTORM though.
                      Brandon,
                      Being restricted to HQ is a little limiting for such a sophisticated piece of hardware. Especially since HDMI can capture full raster HD uncompressed.
                      If and when we get a 10bit HQ codec, would this onboard chip be able to be
                      upgraded to handle the 10bit HQ by way of firmware updates? I'm guessing that would be pure speculation on your part.

Jerry
                      Jerry
                      Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

• Jerry
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by fluppe85
                        What do you mean with this? That I wouldn't be able to capture DV?

You can judge for yourself.

Onboard Canopus HQ hardware encoder for fast, high-quality capture and export of video to Canopus HQ AVI files

Onboard Encoding Resolutions (Canopus HQ)

1920 x 1080
                        1440 x 1080(1920 2/3 pixel aspect ratio)
                        1280 x 1080 (1920 3/4 pixel aspect ratio)
                        1280 x 720
                        960 x 720 (1280 2/3 pixel aspect ratio)
                        720 x 576
                        720 x 480

Actually, HQ instead of DV, is an improvement.

Brandon can be more specific as to pure DV capture. I'm not reading it on the page at all.
                        Last edited by Jerry; 09-30-2008, 07:36 PM.
                        Jerry
                        Six Gill DV

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                          Demystifier/Analogizer
                          • Apr 2007

@fluppe85:
                          You can capture DV and HDV through your normal Firewire port.

@Jerry:
                          I agree that non-HQ capture is desired, especially as it's a loss of functionality coming from NX. The engineers haven't said it's impossible, but they also haven't given us a timeframe on enabling it yet either.

As for 10-bit, 10-bit is more data, so it would likely require a larger buffer, which would require different board hardware unless it's already accounted for, which I would guess is not due to cost optimizations. So my best guess is that 10-bit hardware support would have to be a future card, followed closely by 10-bit support in EDIUS.

Comment

• fluppe85
                            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Jerry
                            Onboard Canopus HQ hardware encoder for fast, high-quality capture and export of video to Canopus HQ AVI files
                            So a combination of both NX and HDstorm would be the best solution. Are there other additional GV cards who can take the hardware capturing of DV?

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
                              Demystifier/Analogizer
                              • Apr 2007

Is there a specific reason you can't or don't want to use on-board Firewire or an OHCI Firewire card for DV capture?

Comment

Working...