HDStorm VS NXExpress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    Is there a specific reason you can't or don't want to use on-board Firewire or an OHCI Firewire card for DV capture?
    Before I didn't but these previous posts of Jerry are just confusing me I think.

Why should he come up with the HQ hardware encoder, anyway? What's the reason the website doesn't specifically mentions the video formats for capturing and output like Canopus DV, Canopus lossless, HDV, DV/DVCAM.

As I understand, there is no more hardware based SD MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 export possibility. What's the consequence of that?

For the moment I need a system to go with (mini)DV as input and mostly DVD (MPEG-2) and/or back to camcorder as output. Real-time monitoring will be on an analogue old Tv. Also I will be able to capture my old VHS movies. Besides that, I probably will change to a High definition camcorder within a year and a half, max 2y. So What would be the best choice. I see MPEG encoding could also be done by cards as the Firecoder(?).

Comment

Originally posted by fluppe85 View Post
      What's the reason the website doesn't specifically mentions the video formats for capturing and output like Canopus DV, Canopus lossless, HDV, DV/DVCAM.
      Because currently at least, capture using the HDSTORM is in Canopus HQ format only. You can still capture DV and HDV in EDIUS using any OHCI-compliant Firewire interface, you just can't capture it through the HDSTORM.

As I understand, there is no more hardware based SD MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 export possibility. What's the consequence of that?
      SD MPEG-2 encoding actually is better quality and faster using software nowadays. SD MPEG-4 export wasn't very popular.

For the moment I need a system to go with (mini)DV as input and mostly DVD (MPEG-2) and/or back to camcorder as output. Real-time monitoring will be on an analogue old Tv. Also I will be able to capture my old VHS movies.
      Unless you want to capture your analog and just write it back to DV tape without changes, I would go with HDSTORM Plus (so you get the bay for analog connectivity). Canopus HQ is better quality than DV anyway.

Comment

Before I didn't but these previous posts of Jerry are just confusing me I think.

Why should he come up with the HQ hardware encoder, anyway? What's the reason the website doesn't specifically mentions the video formats for capturing and output like Canopus DV, Canopus lossless, HDV, DV/DVCAM.

For the moment I need a system to go with (mini)DV as input and mostly DVD (MPEG-2) and/or back to camcorder as output. Real-time monitoring will be on an analogue old Tv. Also I will be able to capture my old VHS movies. Besides that, I probably will change to a High definition camcorder within a year and a half, max 2y. So What would be the best choice. I see MPEG encoding could also be done by cards as the Firecoder(?).
        As for SD, the software encoder is faster than real time (from timeline to mpeg file). Therefore you don't need to pay for a hardware encoder.

If you need to capture old VHS movies, you can use the NX card and use Y/C for better quality than composite input.
        Asus P5WDH Deluxe w/E6600 - 4GB Corsair - 8800GTS - 1TB & 1.5TB (2x750GB RAID 0) - Antec P180 + Trio 650W - XP Pro w/sp3 - NX PCIe w/Expansion Card - Edius 5.51
        Asus P6T i7 920 @3.6 - 12GB Corsair Dominator - GTX275 - 1.5TB & 3TB (2x1.5TB RAID 0) for Video - Antec P183 + Corsair HX-750W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 - Firecoder Blu - PC3.05.91 - BDR-203 - TMW5 & TAW5
        Asus P6T i7 930 - 12GB Corsair - GTX260 - 1TB & 1TB WD Black for Video - Antec P183 + TPQ-850W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 w/HD Spark - BDR-205

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
          You can still capture DV and HDV in EDIUS using any OHCI-compliant Firewire interface, you just can't capture it through the HDSTORM.
          But in this case, it would rely on the CPU for the capturing? Or isn't that the big deal anymore with PCs nowadays? I ask this because I've found following text: The onboard hardware DV codec, featured with Canopus realtime DV editing solutions, relieves the CPU from handling the processor-intensive task of rendering DV output without limiting the number of realtime video streams and effects capabilities .When used in OHCI mode, EDIUS’ DV processing is purely software-based, which utilizes valuable CPU power. This usage of the CPU can reduce the realtime playback capabilities of effects and multi-track edits and as such, editors may have to render sequences more frequently, if only to preview a composition. A Canopus realtime DV editing card overcomes this performance hit with onboard hardware DV processing, increasing the editing power of EDIUS systems. (text in conjunction with DVstorm 2)
          This let me presume there should be some advantage using firewire on NX. Sorry about all these questions, but i will not be disappointed after buying one of the cards.

Comment

Capturing DV and HDV is a simple data transfer over Firewire, like copying a file.

Rendering effects actually hasn't used the hardware DV codec for a long time. All is done in CPU, so there's really no difference between using the NX Firewire port or motherboard or add-in card Firewire port. That's why there's no Firewire port on the HDSTORM - most people already have a Firewire port and it would be redundant.

Comment

But in this case, it would rely on the CPU for the capturing? Or isn't that the big deal anymore with PCs nowadays? I ask this because I've found following text: The onboard hardware DV codec, featured with Canopus realtime DV editing solutions, relieves the CPU from handling the processor-intensive task of rendering DV output without limiting the number of realtime video streams and effects capabilities .When used in OHCI mode, EDIUS’ DV processing is purely software-based, which utilizes valuable CPU power. This usage of the CPU can reduce the realtime playback capabilities of effects and multi-track edits and as such, editors may have to render sequences more frequently, if only to preview a composition. A Canopus realtime DV editing card overcomes this performance hit with onboard hardware DV processing, increasing the editing power of EDIUS systems. (text in conjunction with DVstorm 2)
              This let me presume there should be some advantage using firewire on NX. Sorry about all these questions, but i will not be disappointed after buying one of the cards.
              If DV capture is your issue, both will do the same. If you capture by way of firewire you will be doing either .m2t or dv. HDMI capture allows for 1920x1080 capture with the HQ codec with the HDSTORM. This is a plus. My discussion with Brandon involves the restriction of having to use the HQ codec and not being able to capture to other codecs or uncompressed.

I'm sorry if I confused you about the 2 cards. You have to decide if the restriction of HQ ingest only with HDMI is an issue. DV capture is the same by way of your onboard firewire input by way of E5. If I was purchasing a new card at this point in time, and I did not need other codec options for ingest, I would go with the HDSTORM+. It is just that simple.
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com
              If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
              http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

OK, thank you all for the supplied information. The HDstorm it will be...As Im not editing on a professional base, I think the HQ codec will offer me more than enough if I plan to change to HD.

Comment

This advantage of NX Express hasn't been mentioned anywhere lately:

Component out is BNC.

Not a biggie though.

Comment

OK, thank you all for the supplied information. The HDstorm it will be...As Im not editing on a professional base, I think the HQ codec will offer me more than enough if I plan to change to HD.
                    That was the little bit of information that was missing. If you are going that route, make sure to get the HDSTORM+ version. That will give you all you will ever need based on your editing description.
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com
                    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                      This advantage of NX Express hasn't been mentioned anywhere lately:

Component out is BNC.

Not a biggie though.
                      It's the same for NX PCIe Expansion board. However it will need BNC-RCA connectors to use component cables for LCD TV (which has RCA component input). Unless using pro/broadcast monitor (BNC to BNC)
                      Asus P5WDH Deluxe w/E6600 - 4GB Corsair - 8800GTS - 1TB & 1.5TB (2x750GB RAID 0) - Antec P180 + Trio 650W - XP Pro w/sp3 - NX PCIe w/Expansion Card - Edius 5.51
                      Asus P6T i7 920 @3.6 - 12GB Corsair Dominator - GTX275 - 1.5TB & 3TB (2x1.5TB RAID 0) for Video - Antec P183 + Corsair HX-750W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 - Firecoder Blu - PC3.05.91 - BDR-203 - TMW5 & TAW5
                      Asus P6T i7 930 - 12GB Corsair - GTX260 - 1TB & 1TB WD Black for Video - Antec P183 + TPQ-850W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 w/HD Spark - BDR-205

Comment

Working...
                      X