No announcement yet.

Archiving HD footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best medium to archive is COMPUTER grade tapes (SDLT, LTO3, etc ...). You can get a "cheap" QUANTUM DLT tape drive - external (using eSATA) for about US$900. Then you dump the entire subdirectory of a complete project - whether it is Panasonic P2 MXF, Sony EX1 MXF, or Canopus HQ ... including the project files.

Then when your client wants you to do more work, take the tape out, restore the entire subdirectory to your working hard-drive, and ... presto - you have everything there.

DLT-V4 tapes are about US$50 each - 160GB native capacity.

http://www.cdw.ca/shop/products/defa...iew-_-Main+Tab
    TingSern
    --------------------------------------
    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

Think I might just go with the hard drive option. Get a terabyte worth and that should last me awhile. I like to save HD def footage to cut up later too, not just whole projects.

HDV MPEG loses no resolution when converted if I shoot in 1440 x 1080i? I plan on upgrading my camera next year and getting something that shoots in 25p. Don't know if that modifies things a bit.
      Motion Art Cinematography

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I7 4.2ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Obviously you'll lose some quality, but nothing much that you eye can see anyway.

If you are going with the hard drive route, at least backup to two different drives.

Comment

What I did was **** in all my HDV footage as m2t clips onto two Terra Drives in my machine here. They hold allot of tapes and the originals are kept safe on tapes in the cupboard. Once I fill up the drives I will buy another $250 Terra drive and stick that inside my computer as well.

My computer now can edit the raw clips pretty well but If I need more responsive capacity I will convert the clips I need to Canopus HQ.

I know I will one day but I am not looking forward to moving to tapeless camera's as it's going to take a huge amount of time to archive the stuff onto something safe. No hardrives are not safe.
          Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.
          www.flykam.com.au www.wagscapes.com.au

Comment

Hi Geoff,
            Steve here from the Sunshine Coast, Don't go the hard drive way, they are not reliable enough for that, What I do is shoot every thing in HD and capture and work with it in Edius 5 and when finished I keep the original tape as back up. you could also print back to tape and just keep them in a dry dark place, As I own a computer company as well on the Sunshine Coast I have seen to many hard drives die for no reason at all, Your other option is since you have a Blu-Ray burner is to store them on BD-RW disk's, just buy a few 50GB ones on Ebay, The question is how long do you really want to store wedding footage for?

Cheers
            Steve
            Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

Just out of interest here is a new BD-R drive with gold disks that claims to be archival up to 200 years!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-9316-9628

I agree with Steve, hards drives are too unreliable.

Jim

Comment

Working...
              X