Archiving HD footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archiving HD footage

If I want to save an HD video and audio project out of Edius...is the best way to output as an HQ AVI?

I have seen videos to do the video and audio separately for authoring (using the Dolby AC3 coder). Should I do it all as one and output it like that?

The reason I ask, I down convert out of Edius 4.6 to put on a standard DVD...but if they want a High Def quality down the road how should I store it?
    Motion Art Cinematography

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I7 4.2ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gold Coast, Australia

If you are shooting HDV then archive it in HDV, HQ AVI takes alot of space.
    I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

What plays the file that's outputted with HDV? Edius can put it in the timeline, but is there something that can play it outside?

Also, is that file good for authoring on something like Blu Ray? I have seen a video demo explain how to do it with HQ AVI. Although I am sure that would be massive.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

I archive my HDV projects back to tape by making a m2t file from the timeline and then using MPEGwriter to copy back to tape. If you imported from tape to HQ what's the difference if you made a m2t file from HQ timeline and put back to tape. There may be a very small loss from the editing can conversions but will be hard to see. That is how I archive my HD projects.
        Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

HDV or AVCHD ? ?

Quick note! If you're shooting HD in 1920x1080, do NOT save as an HDV file, for the limit of HDV is 1440x1080. HD-AVI does take up a lot of space, but will maintain your resolution. I output in either (or both) MPEG-2 Elementary stream (for DVDitPro)or Canopus HQ.
          Cheers,
          Alan
          Alan J. Levi
          Director

SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

Comment

You can also archive to MPEG2 and EDIUS is pretty fast and uses all cores. Use a high MPEG2 bitrate...maybe around 50mbps. The max EDIUS can do is 80mbps for MPEG2 HD (from Print to File). It supports Full HD.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
              You can also archive to MPEG2 and EDIUS is pretty fast and uses all cores. Use a high MPEG2 bitrate...maybe around 50mbps. The max EDIUS can do is 80mbps for MPEG2 HD (from Print to File). It supports Full HD.
              Well I am shooting in 1440 x 1080...so is getting an external hardrive to store my HDV files a good idea? I would rather store it on that then tape. Much easier to put back on the computer.

And is HDV good if I want to do some editing ? I know not as good as an HQ AVI, but that takes up so much space.

When outputting from the quoted suggestion...is it just as a "DVD" and then up the bitrate in the advanced menu?

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post
                Well I am shooting in 1440 x 1080...so is getting an external hardrive to store my HDV files a good idea? I would rather store it on that then tape. Much easier to put back on the computer.

And is HDV good if I want to do some editing ? I know not as good as an HQ AVI, but that takes up so much space.

When outputting from the quoted suggestion...is it just as a "DVD" and then up the bitrate in the advanced menu?
                If you're shooting HDV, it's a good idea to archive back to HDV so yes you will be fine. DV tape is a cheap way to backup, much safer than hard drives. You can however export a HDV stream and backup to lets say a Rev Pro disk. Much more reliable of course.

You can edit HDV without a problem, but you need a fast computer for that.

If you want to archive to MPEG2, just hit F11 (Print to File) then choose "Generic MPEG" and it should give you lots of options. This is good for people who do Full HD (1920x1080) or for people who want to backup to something else besides DV tape and use a higher bitrate so you won't get that "blockiness" from recompressing.

Comment

I am using XDCAM disks for HD shooting, so I have an instant backup of all source footage, however, I have no idea how long they last before they fade away? one day I will know
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                    I archive my HDV projects back to tape by making a m2t file from the timeline and then using MPEGwriter to copy back to tape. If you imported from tape to HQ what's the difference if you made a m2t file from HQ timeline and put back to tape. There may be a very small loss from the editing can conversions but will be hard to see. That is how I archive my HD projects.
                    A word of warning: I've gone back into my HDV masters only to find a dropout or two (and I'm using the expen$ive Sony HDV Digital Master tapes, both small and large cassette). So I ALWAYS do two masters. Odds are astronomical that the same dropout would occur at the same moments of the tape. This has saved my tail (and reputation) several times! I have the Sony HDV deck, and just get a tape that is double the length of the show, and use the MPEG writer to copy it twice. I.e., if the show is 60 minutes, I get a 120 minute large Digital Master cassette, and copy it twice. Yes it costs a bit more, but the peace of mind is priceless.
                    Tsunami Riptide with Edius 8.53

Asus P9X79 Pro, Intel Core I-7 3930 K Processor (12mb Cache, 3.20 GHz), 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 570 CG, Windows 7 Professional, HD Spark, Adobe Premiere Pro CS6, New Blu Titler Pro 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                      I am using XDCAM disks for HD shooting, so I have an instant backup of all source footage, however, I have no idea how long they last before they fade away? one day I will know
                      Probably longer than you will need it. It's in a cartridge so it's more secure.

Comment

So just so I have this clear in my head...I should archive as an HDV file, not HQ AVI (huge I know).

That will allow me to put it back in the timeline if I need to or use it for authoring later on?

I am confused about doing it as a "normal" SD Mpeg2. Generic MPEG will allow me to change the settings and keep the HD quality? If not, then why not just save as an m2t?

So I would use MPEG (HDV)?

Also what is the difference with Program and Elementary Stream? just get two separate files for video and audio? Which is better?

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

So just so I have this clear in my head...I should archive as an HDV file, not HQ AVI (huge I know).
                          If you shot in HDV, then you can archive back to DV tapes (cheap and more secure than hard drives. 60 minutes per mini dv tape or if your VTR supports larger tapes, go for that). Make sure to pack the tapes tightly so no dust gets in.

That will allow me to put it back in the timeline if I need to or use it for authoring later on?
                          Yes you can capture it again and edit away...you can capture to Canopus HQ if you want. Basically you get the same format of your master that you shot originally with. HDV in HDV out.

I am confused about doing it as a "normal" SD Mpeg2. Generic MPEG will allow me to change the settings and keep the HD quality? If not, then why not just save as an m2t?
                          Just do MPEG2 as you've done before but keep a master HDV tape of the final project. I brought up Generic MPEG for people who have 1920x1080 HD projects and want to archive them instead of using HDV and losing resolution. Generic MPEG exporter allows you to use higher bitrates too if you don't want to use Canopus HQ but still keep high quality video you had originally.

So I would use MPEG (HDV)?
                          Yes for archiving. Read the EDIUS manual on how to write back to tape.

Also what is the difference with Program and Elementary Stream? just get two separate files for video and audio? Which is better?
                          These two are for DVD authoring...but also apply to HDV. HDV clips (.m2t) are program stream, multiplexed clips. Audio + Video are in a single file. Elementary Stream is just a demuxed version which means the audio and video are separate files.

Comment

Thanks for all the help!

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Nice email

And to whoever read this forum topic and sent me a negative email, your a coward for giving me a false email to write back and need to get a life. This isn't a place for that.

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Working...
                              X