Virtual Dub and Edius5 HD to SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Dub and Edius5 HD to SD

after lots of testing, I am now getting superb results when downscaling using the Lanczos3 downscale filter
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...dub-hd-sd.html
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

I can confirm Antons findings, not only is this good with Z1, DVCProHD and HDCam footage, but works extremely well with EX1 material, which is the most dificult to deal with - most NLE's and re purposing software cannot handle the EX1 and EX3's huge detail.

Paul
    Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Hi Anton,

As the HD area is new to me, do you think the same is working for 1920x1080 25fps footage as well or are other settings required?
      I was not able to test it yet, but from recent checks with VirtualDub I assume you save the file as AVI after you made all settings as you described or are you using the frame server?.
      I am currently testing Edius (currently using Vegas) and so far I love it as well as the support and knowledge on this forum

Regards, Rene
      Rene van Kleef

Vista Ultimate - Intel Extreme X9650 3GHz - 4Gb memory - NVIDIA 8800GTX 756Mb - Sony Vegas - Moving to HD - Testing Edius 5.0 - Testing VirtualDub

Comment

it will work fine with 1920x1080

yes, I save the file as Canopus HQ avi, this allows me to alter all needed settings in Edius prior to mpeg export

I am not going to use the frame server method, because the result produces the wrong black level, the NTSC 7.5 IRE setup
        Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
          after lots of testing, I am now getting superb results when downscaling using the Lanczos3 downscale filter
          http://www.videoproductions.com.au/h...dub-hd-sd.html
          Anton, you might want to try using Precise bicubic(A=.60) instead of Lanczos3, Lanczos 3 is better for upscale but not downscale, it also add too much edge enhancement, use the show preview and you will see.
          I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

I tried all bicubic but in Pal at least, I get sharper looking SD when using Lanczos3

I will do more testing and try again
            Anton Strauss

Comment

Lanczos-3
              Resizes the clip’s picture using a Lanczos-3 method. Based on an improved version of the Lanczos method in order to be efficient in both enlargement and reduction. Produces a picture more sharpened than the other filters
              Anton Strauss

Comment

here is a small PAL VIDEO_TS you can burn and test (18mb)
                http://www.videoproductions.com.au/VD/VIDEO_TS.zip

workflow used

1. Canopus HQ sample clips exported to HQ
                2. use Virtual Dub to downscale to 720x576
                3. use Edius5 standard def 16:9 D1 to correct field order and aspect
                4. export with ProCoder3 mastering quality
                5. author with DVD-Lab Pro
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                  Lanczos-3
                  Resizes the clip’s picture using a Lanczos-3 method. Based on an improved version of the Lanczos method in order to be efficient in both enlargement and reduction. Produces a picture more sharpened than the other filters
                  I can only post what I saw, if you apply Lanczos3 method and then click on show preview, then change to precise bicubic=.60, then hit apply and compare you will see much more looking natural edge, much more like the original HQ AVI, Lanczos3 adds a halo on the outside of the edge and darken the edge of the inside edge, so it is like adding contrast at the edge therefore make it looking it is sharper than other filter, but it acutally not, it just seems too look sharper because the edge has more contrast, and I do see it on my big screen back when I was still using Lanczos3
                  Click on this link and you can see a few example of what I'm talking about.
                  http://www.videophile.info/Guide_EE/Page_01.htm
                  I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

let me do some testing with bicubic=.60
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

use Virtual Dub to downscale to 720x576

what about us here in the U.S. do we scale to 720 x 480 instead?

And in virtual dub after you apply the filter and scaling, do you output/save as an .avi file or what?

Using the Canopus HQ codec in "fine" mode I exported the file and then opened it in Procoder express and converted it to DV (Standard def 720x480) and it is SLIGHTLY better, but scenes where I put CG/graphics on screen the graphics look bad now.
                      NLE: PC, Gigabyte Motherboard with E6850 Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.0ghz. 4Gb Ram. GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTS250
                      DRIVES: 4TB raid 0 array connected to AMCC 3ware SATA controller with 518mb memory. Other Drives: Seagate & WD 7200rpm 1TB each
                      SOFTWARE: Edius 5.5, Adobe Encore CS4, Photoshop and After Effects CS4.

Comment

yes, type 720x480

make sure interlace is ticked

set compressor to CanopusHQ with fine

Canopus HQ = avi

open the avi in a standard def DV 720x480 project in Edius

then change field order and aspect, then export with ProCoder
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

When I use VirtualDub to downsize a 1920x1080 30Gb AVI file to 720x576 it fails always around frame 2400 (same for various other AVI files). The error messages says DLL initialization failed, video compression error, an unknown error occurred (may be corrupted data) (error code -100)

I created the source files from mt2s footage and rendered/printed as AVI. I used both Vegas 8b and Edius 4.6 to create the AVI source file, both AVI files fails when downsizing by VD.

VirtualDub setting I used:
                          Resize filter 720x576, Lanczos3, Interlaces)
                          Sharpen filter 8
                          Color depth, autoselect and same as decrompression format
                          Compression, Canopus HQ, CODEC setting fine
                          Once set, I save as an AVI file.

I tried various compression options but the same problem occurs. I am a bit lost now and I am thinking to do a clean installation of my test machine and hopefully the problem disappears.
                          Any other suggestions where I can look into ?

Used HW/SW:
                          Windows Vista Ultimate
                          Intel QC X9650 3GHz - 4Gb memory
                          NVIDIA 8800GTX - 756Mb
                          SoundBlaster X-Fi
                          Rene van Kleef

Vista Ultimate - Intel Extreme X9650 3GHz - 4Gb memory - NVIDIA 8800GTX 756Mb - Sony Vegas - Moving to HD - Testing Edius 5.0 - Testing VirtualDub

Comment

is this with the latest version of VD? v1.8.6 (stable)
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

It is version 1.8.6, which I downloaded 2 days ago.

It looks like all the memory is consumed. When I try to re-start the save as AVI, it says no memory resources. I just installed TMPGEnc on my test machine to see if this was still worning, when I select Canopus HQ here, the same error occurs. TMPGEnc is running fine on my production machine, but have no Edius installed there as I am still testing.
                              Rene van Kleef

Comment

Working...
                              X