X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    This thread is going around in circles. So I'm stopping it here.

DVStorm won't receive any further updates, and that's final. You'll always be able to use it with EDIUS 4.61. There's a number of different options and paths to take, and we've done our best to offer as many possible directions for everyone, but at the end of the day, we cannot please everyone.

The fact that the DVStorm lasted some eight years is a rare thing in modern computing. I'd like to think that even the last DVStorm sold in 2004 has more than made back its price, in terms of productivity-earning revenue.

Leave a comment:

• bobbyd
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    EDIUS 5 will operate, but will not use the DVStorm hardware. If you plan to run both EDIUS 5 and EDIUS 4.x on the same system, I highly suggest running a dual-boot, one booting with EDIUS 4.x and one booting with EDIUS 5.

OHCI mode doesn't use the hardware, no matter what hardware you have.

I really don't understand the disappointment here. You support us on software, but don't want to support us on hardware?

I'm not trying to be combative here, but I really don't understand. Hardware purchases are a fixed purchase.

I don't complain to AMD when the newer CPUs are no longer Socket 939 and now are Socket AM2, which means I'd have to get a new motherboard to use a newer CPU...
    We support the company in both hardware and software. It's just some folks are not ready for the new hardware either because they cannot afford it or their productions do not require it. I have been doing weddings, events and corporate stuff for over 20 years and have not recieved one request for HD even though it is availiable. So why force people into new hardware when they do not need it?

Writing a driver for the storm to work with version 5 is not a big deal. You know it and I know it. So why not write the driver. Sooner or later all of the Storm users will upgrade. Some are just not ready right now.

Leave a comment:

• jimjohn
    replied
    DvStorm2 output in Edius5

Originally posted by Case View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted already, but I didn't see it after a pretty thorough search.

I'm wondering if the Storm2 card will function with Edius 5? I understand that it isn't "supported," but we all remember how long the venerable old RexRT card worked with Edius despite not being supported (up through 3x if I remember right).

We have our dual quad core NX machine, but we also have a couple of older Storm systems running Edius 4x. We still like to run SD work through these things, and they help us multi-task a lot with the little side jobs that come through here constantly, and our secondary businesses. The old Storm systems make us money, and I'd like to milk 'em a little further.
    Hi! I have done this:
    Installed Edius5 and than Edius4.5...
    DADA.. now I have both ... and also...
    Storm2 output in Edius5! :)
    Try and let me know!

Leave a comment:

• Slamaxe
    replied
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the thoughtful comments.

About the HDMI issue. We use an old CRT monitor to check color accuracy etc. We use it because of the latency issues one finds with LCD. For fast moving stuff, at an editing level, a CRT is hard to beat. I know Plasma is quick and an HDMI/plasma monitor would be ideal.

With all this discussion I'll most likely just sink the bucks into a 40 inch Panasonic Plasma and use my 2nd DVI output to provide that signal. I can do that for only $799. Much less than messing around with a new Canopus card. I can still use the Storm to capture the DV.

BTW, donating is a great idea. The local college is opening an editing class and they might like my DV Rex system.

Life is a bunch of compromises.

Thanks all.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• cybertrix
    replied
    Storm drop

I was a bit frustrated with the Storm2 card drop, but when you look at it, going to an HDStorm really has it's advantages. The main one (which I'm surprised no one has mentioned here) is the fact it interfaces to screen via HDMI. We have a digital interface peoples - no more D>A then A>D when running to an LCD/Plasma. We can now easily switch between HD to SD using the same video output and with DVD players and even video cameras moving across to HDMI - we are using the future format.

Edius is built to run with video preview hardware - always has been - and it gets an image to "the outside world" as quickly as possible. That's why we all use it (I assume). WYSIWYG in realtime. If the new core (for v5) is built with the same intentions - but has to drop Storm2 support in the process - then I'm cool with that. As long as V5 is as snappy and instant as with the old cards. PCI is rappidly becoming the "new ISA"; so I can understand it's hard for GV to continue supporting the old Storm.

Version 5 opens 4.x projects with no issues, and you get a V5 dongle in the box with the new HDSTORM card, so you can continue using your old Storm / Dongle in a 2nd system. My only frustration is that you can't export a 4.x project from version 5.

For Roman: We have 4 x Storm cards. Our plan was to slowly migrate across to NX cards (done with 2 machines) and now to HDStorms for the other 2 machines. It's just a matter of updating one machine at a time. What you end up with, however, is a pile of old Storm & Edius 4.x machines that are handy for capture and conversion - but rarely get used. I've donated one of ours to a film student (who loves it)

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Ron I am no expert programmer, but I bet if they made a driver for EDIUS5 it would be more of a liability for them and DVStormRT is not supported anymore (End of Life item). Also I don't think they want to release "as is" drivers, the Japanese engineers are very picky with that from what I've seen throughout the years.

You won't be missing much if you skip EDIUS5 for now anyways. 4.61 is perfectly fine for many people and it's pretty solid. Maybe by the time 5.5 comes out you will be going HD (at least HDV)?

Who knows maybe HDSpark might be a good deal for you (You can get a HDMI to Component adapter, about $150 I think...then go from Component to SVIDEO if needed), but it's a PCIe card and if you are using older P4 systems then you will be out of luck since most of those mobos have no PCIe slots.

Also remember that EDIUS 4.61 projects can open in EDIUS5...my second editor works in EDIUS 4.61 on the Storm system (SD projects of course) and then I open it in EDIUS5 and online it. It can't be the other way around, though.

Leave a comment:

• Slamaxe
    replied
    Thanks Jim! That was a reality check!

I too still have my DV Rex. We have it installed on a spare machine along with Rex Edit. (I think we have Storm edit on there too). It's sort of a back up to the backup. If the SHTF we know that there is one piece of gear that always works for editing jobs w/o the need for high bandwidth effects.

Dave, We can afford almost anything we want but want and need are different. We run a company too and our mission is to keep expenses down and income high. If GV needed an investor, that is one thing. If they obsolete good gear that they can keep in the stream with a simple driver, that is another. I will buy every update they produce because I want to support them.... Not because I must.

There is no question that at some point we will buy a new card. I will do it out of guilt, not because we are being forced.

Shueardm, I have ONE of those. KNUJ <JUNK>. Cool looking BO box but as you said....

Guys, I don't want to take up any more of your time, or mine. Just because another company obsoletes stuff every year, or makes unstable or useless junk, Canopus GV is not off the hook. They make great stuff with a life. That is one of the selling points. Gear that works and keeps on working and is supported until tape disappears, HDD's stop turning and solid state is yesterday's news. That's a great company.

All it takes is a driver. How bad is that?

Ron

Leave a comment:

• Jim N
    replied
    Hey Slamaxe,

What do you mean the DVRex is obsolete. I have a DVRexRTPro that I use everyday with Edius 3.62 that is still helping me kick massive goals. Just like Storm. Now if I had any amount of Pinnacle stuff or Matrox stuff that would be different. You should have read their forums over the years with countless posts from customers that had even more expensive cards than RTPro orphaned very quickly.

Compared to me you are able to use 4.62 so you are better off than I am. Having said that I still have fantastic functionality (much more than I paid for with REX Edit) and so do you. So we are both still doing well. My advice is to uninstall Vs5 and live with the cards you have until you see the need to move to HD then HDStorm will be great for you.

The time is comming for me to upgrade soon, but untill then the REX RTPro will still be working (in it's third PC!)

Jim

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Times have changed. PCIexpress is the new standard < One of the many reasons why GV had to drop support for Storm2 was obviously it was discontinued and that there was no room for quality control for the drivers as well as the additional support for Vista.

Not to mention that GV is a company and needs to make money.

It's time for an upgrade. Pentiums are out the door and have been for the past 4 years. I build my P4 system in 2004 or 2005 and it has worked as much as it has.

Paying for the HDStorm will put you in the same position as you would have if you bought the Storm2 when it came out ...until the next big thing comes out, which will be probably in 4 or 5 years.

If you can make 50,000 units per year then no doubt your company can afford the HDSTORM.

Leave a comment:

• gameroja
    replied
    my Storm2 has four years; I use Edius since two years ago (when started to be more "professional" with the 3 version). And now, when I'm used to Edius, Grass Valley says I have to buy another card if I want to upgrade to Edius5. I don't agree with this policy. I like very much Edius and Storm, but customers need a certain stability to use a system for years. And a new card every four years is too much for me.

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    I don't know, maybe you should just be thankfull you didn't buy 8 AVID Liquid Pro hardware/software's? Not even the software has anywhere to go.

Leave a comment:

• Slamaxe
    replied
    Guys... (GV guys)... This isn't about "supporting" you. I object to the implication that we owe GV some sort of loyalty. I only owe loyalty to my customers who I attempt to satisfy even if they still have our original videos in VHS. We have a very deep discount for "upgrades" from VHS to DVD.

We sell about 50,000 units a year. We can afford the swap out if it's worth it. The HDStorm is not.

This thread is about a useful and effective tool being made obsolete because you are too stuck to a marketing plan to offer drivers that allow it to be used for it's original purpose. We all know that stuff becomes obsolete and I for one don't need a lecture on that. The Storm is not obsolete, it is a good tool that works. It's replacement does not offer enough value to make it worth the expense of the "Upgrade".

The DV Rex is obsolete. THAT was an easy decision to make. I don't need to hear lectures on that either. Ancient history folks.

The "Upgrade" price is no deal if you already have V5. What if I want the HDStorm with BO box and have V5? Will you take off the cost of the V5 and sell me the new card?

I was happy to upgrade to the original Storm from the DVRex, when it came out... I then upgraded to the Storm2. We have two of them. I object to this insider forum chatter that suggests that everyone knew about support being dropped for the Storm. I didn't know, I don't hang out here as I have a business that takes my time. I simply expected that since all versions of "Edius" supported Storm, the next iteration would as well.

Keep in mind that this forum does not represent your entire customer base. It only represents a marginal, vocal, portion. I only use it to solve the very occasional problem.

FWIW V5 is a winner. It is stable, strong, fast and capable. I wouldn't give a whit about the Storm card were it not for the fact that I no longer have access to the big monitor that I use to judge the quality of what I do. That monitor is critical to QC on projects.

I can just bet that there are quite a few fence hangers whose mind was just made up for them.

Publish Drivers for output for the Storm and I would be a happy camper once again.

I know nothing about the HDSpark but if it gives me back my monitors and isn't an expensive under qualified replacement for the Storm... I'm all over it.

Ron

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    HDMI lets you pass anything from 480i to 1080p, so I don't see why it wouldn't do SD over HDMI.

The Intensity Pro displays SD without a problem through After Effects and FCP through HDMI.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    1. Not 100% sure here, but I don't think so.
    2. Don't know on this one yet. It definitely is used for HQ file export (Print to File) but I'm not certain about Bin conversions yet.

Leave a comment:

• Raja
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
    Slight clarification here... Analog in/out requires the HDSTORM Bay.

The HDSTORM Bay is included in the HDSTORM Plus package, or it can be purchased as an add-on later. It is not, however, included in the basic HDSTORM package.

Or in other words, for analog input/output on HDSTORM, you need to buy HDSTORM Plus, or HDSTORM and the HDSTORM Bay.
    Yep, I did mean the Plus pack, just forgot to mention it. Thanks for correcting.

2 questions

1. Is it possible to view a DV timeline (as an SD preset) via the HDMI output to a monitor (with no lag)?
    2. Does the onboard HQ chip speed up file convertions to Canopus HQ in the bin? (for XDCAM HD file transfer workflow)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X