This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gameroja View Post
    One question: will it be possible to edit with Edius5 having a Storm, even if I choose for HD capture and project setting the OHCI option?
    EDIUS 5 will operate, but will not use the DVStorm hardware. If you plan to run both EDIUS 5 and EDIUS 4.x on the same system, I highly suggest running a dual-boot, one booting with EDIUS 4.x and one booting with EDIUS 5.

OHCI mode doesn't use the hardware, no matter what hardware you have.

More than 10 years with Canopus and now I'm really dissapointed.
    I really don't understand the disappointment here. You support us on software, but don't want to support us on hardware?

I'm not trying to be combative here, but I really don't understand. Hardware purchases are a fixed purchase.

I don't complain to AMD when the newer CPUs are no longer Socket 939 and now are Socket AM2, which means I'd have to get a new motherboard to use a newer CPU...

Comment

Originally posted by Slamaxe View Post
      Now I have a problem... I need to run my editing monitor so I can see what I am actually outputting, not the display on the computer monitor....

Anyone have a suggestion?
      Wait for HDSPARK?

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
        Guys, your current hardware is working in the environment it's working in. It likely has far more capabilities now than when you initially purchased it.

However, there comes a time when we need to focus on the new stuff. If everyone shot productions geared toward good viewing on black-and-white televisions, we'd have an awfully subdued production and some really odd ones too.

Continue using what you have. I'm sure you have upgraded CPUs and hard drives. The old CPU and hard drive are still viable - it's no different from your NLE hardware. At some point it's time to upgrade.
        It was posted well in advance. I have to agree with Dave on this. No matter how Dave spells. I have a Rex from 1996. I paid 3,000 for that thing. You probably paid $1500-$2000. We lost support at 4.5, I believe. Oh Well. Move on and get over it. My Rex does more in 4.5 than it did the day I bought it. I, however, do not use it anymore.
        I would assume that the Storm you own does this as well. be happy that GV supported it as long as they did. It is not a GV product. It is a Canopus product. they could have said, you are on your own.
        If it was working on your system before, it must still be working now.
        It is a thing called end of product life.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by gameroja View Post
          One question: will it be possible to edit with Edius5 having a Storm, even if I choose for HD capture and project setting the OHCI option?.
          I hope so, or for the moment I will not upgrade to HDStorm: it hasn't firewire in/out or video-out to an analog monitor. I would keep my Storm and Edius 4.61 still I can. For me this could be a big error to leave apart all the Storm users, or better, all the people who already uses DV material. Even if I edit also in HD I have a lot of DV video and I want to have the possibility to edit it. More than 10 years with Canopus and now I'm really dissapointed.
          1. All new motherboards have firewire in/out, hence why the HDSTORM doesn't need to have it.

2. HDSTORM has composite and S-video out so you can preiview on an analog monitor.

From my understanding, you can do everything with the HDSTORM as you can with the Storm2 (except firewire via your motherboard), and extra with HDMI & Component In/Out.
          Raja Singh
          Sadha Video
          UK
          1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
          2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
          3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
          Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

Use an ADVC110 for analog I/O.

It's inexpensive, no drivers required, supported in ALL OS (even Mac), connects to a generic firewire port, supports NTSC and PAL.

The only slight downfall... DV latency on output. Typically 22 frames. But who cares if you're using it for NTSC/PAL color reference.

Comment

Originally posted by Raja View Post
              2. HDSTORM has composite and S-video out so you can preiview on an analog monitor.
              Slight clarification here... Analog in/out requires the HDSTORM Bay.

The HDSTORM Bay is included in the HDSTORM Plus package, or it can be purchased as an add-on later. It is not, however, included in the basic HDSTORM package.

Or in other words, for analog input/output on HDSTORM, you need to buy HDSTORM Plus, or HDSTORM and the HDSTORM Bay.

Comment

Maybe I'm confused but someone could anwer me this questions?
                1. If I use Edius 5 with the Storm2 can I continue previewing on an analog monitor when I put project settings in OHCI (working in HDV or HQ)?
                2. If I upgrade to HDStorm how can I export via firewire from Edius? and HDStorm has realtime support for DV material or work just in HQ?
                I use Edius 4.61 normally with DV, but sometimes I edit also HDV; in this case I capture via OHCI firewire and use my Storm2 just for video-out on an analog monitor. My computer has a 6600 Quad Core processor and works well with HDV or HQ, but I would like to upgrade to Edius5 and still use the Storm until I change definitly to HD. I support Canopus hardware but I buy it just when I need it.
                thank you,
                juan gamero, spain

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_BH View Post
                  Slight clarification here... Analog in/out requires the HDSTORM Bay.

The HDSTORM Bay is included in the HDSTORM Plus package, or it can be purchased as an add-on later. It is not, however, included in the basic HDSTORM package.

Or in other words, for analog input/output on HDSTORM, you need to buy HDSTORM Plus, or HDSTORM and the HDSTORM Bay.
                  Yep, I did mean the Plus pack, just forgot to mention it. Thanks for correcting.

2 questions

1. Is it possible to view a DV timeline (as an SD preset) via the HDMI output to a monitor (with no lag)?
                  2. Does the onboard HQ chip speed up file convertions to Canopus HQ in the bin? (for XDCAM HD file transfer workflow)
                  Raja Singh
                  Sadha Video
                  UK
                  1st:HDStorm+expansion bay,i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650,Lian Li PC-A7110B Tower Case,NEC 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                  2nd:HDSpark, i7 3770K Ivy Bridge, Asus P8Z77-V,16Gb Corsair RAM,nvidia GT-650, Lian-Li case, Asus 24" Monitor,Win7 64bit,Vistitle 2.6,Edius 8.2
                  3rd:IntensityPro4K,i7 4790K,Asus Z97-K,16Gb Corsair RAM,Geforce GTX750Ti,Corsair case,Asus 24"Monitor, Win7 64bit,Vistitle2.6,Edius 8.2
                  Gigabit Ethernet

Comment

1. Not 100% sure here, but I don't think so.
                    2. Don't know on this one yet. It definitely is used for HQ file export (Print to File) but I'm not certain about Bin conversions yet.

Comment

HDMI lets you pass anything from 480i to 1080p, so I don't see why it wouldn't do SD over HDMI.

The Intensity Pro displays SD without a problem through After Effects and FCP through HDMI.

Comment

Guys... (GV guys)... This isn't about "supporting" you. I object to the implication that we owe GV some sort of loyalty. I only owe loyalty to my customers who I attempt to satisfy even if they still have our original videos in VHS. We have a very deep discount for "upgrades" from VHS to DVD.

We sell about 50,000 units a year. We can afford the swap out if it's worth it. The HDStorm is not.

This thread is about a useful and effective tool being made obsolete because you are too stuck to a marketing plan to offer drivers that allow it to be used for it's original purpose. We all know that stuff becomes obsolete and I for one don't need a lecture on that. The Storm is not obsolete, it is a good tool that works. It's replacement does not offer enough value to make it worth the expense of the "Upgrade".

The DV Rex is obsolete. THAT was an easy decision to make. I don't need to hear lectures on that either. Ancient history folks.

The "Upgrade" price is no deal if you already have V5. What if I want the HDStorm with BO box and have V5? Will you take off the cost of the V5 and sell me the new card?

I was happy to upgrade to the original Storm from the DVRex, when it came out... I then upgraded to the Storm2. We have two of them. I object to this insider forum chatter that suggests that everyone knew about support being dropped for the Storm. I didn't know, I don't hang out here as I have a business that takes my time. I simply expected that since all versions of "Edius" supported Storm, the next iteration would as well.

Keep in mind that this forum does not represent your entire customer base. It only represents a marginal, vocal, portion. I only use it to solve the very occasional problem.

FWIW V5 is a winner. It is stable, strong, fast and capable. I wouldn't give a whit about the Storm card were it not for the fact that I no longer have access to the big monitor that I use to judge the quality of what I do. That monitor is critical to QC on projects.

I can just bet that there are quite a few fence hangers whose mind was just made up for them.

Publish Drivers for output for the Storm and I would be a happy camper once again.

I know nothing about the HDSpark but if it gives me back my monitors and isn't an expensive under qualified replacement for the Storm... I'm all over it.

Ron

Comment

I don't know, maybe you should just be thankfull you didn't buy 8 AVID Liquid Pro hardware/software's? Not even the software has anywhere to go.

Comment

my Storm2 has four years; I use Edius since two years ago (when started to be more "professional" with the 3 version). And now, when I'm used to Edius, Grass Valley says I have to buy another card if I want to upgrade to Edius5. I don't agree with this policy. I like very much Edius and Storm, but customers need a certain stability to use a system for years. And a new card every four years is too much for me.

Comment

Times have changed. PCIexpress is the new standard < One of the many reasons why GV had to drop support for Storm2 was obviously it was discontinued and that there was no room for quality control for the drivers as well as the additional support for Vista.

Not to mention that GV is a company and needs to make money.

It's time for an upgrade. Pentiums are out the door and have been for the past 4 years. I build my P4 system in 2004 or 2005 and it has worked as much as it has.

Paying for the HDStorm will put you in the same position as you would have if you bought the Storm2 when it came out ...until the next big thing comes out, which will be probably in 4 or 5 years.

If you can make 50,000 units per year then no doubt your company can afford the HDSTORM.

Comment

Hey Slamaxe,

What do you mean the DVRex is obsolete. I have a DVRexRTPro that I use everyday with Edius 3.62 that is still helping me kick massive goals. Just like Storm. Now if I had any amount of Pinnacle stuff or Matrox stuff that would be different. You should have read their forums over the years with countless posts from customers that had even more expensive cards than RTPro orphaned very quickly.

Compared to me you are able to use 4.62 so you are better off than I am. Having said that I still have fantastic functionality (much more than I paid for with REX Edit) and so do you. So we are both still doing well. My advice is to uninstall Vs5 and live with the cards you have until you see the need to move to HD then HDStorm will be great for you.

The time is comming for me to upgrade soon, but untill then the REX RTPro will still be working (in it's third PC!)

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X