Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Ver. 5 downconvert to SD interlaced better?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does Ver. 5 downconvert to SD interlaced better?

    Ive had problems with HD footage (720p, 24f) in Edius when I change the project settings to 480i so I can export/print/record the project to NTSC video tape or DVD. The problem I exerience is alot of stair stepping, jiggly lines, anti ailiasing when there are busy patterns or thin lines in the video footage. I understand this is a progressive to interlaced conversion problem. Problem also was there when exporting/converting via Procoder Express. Has this been improved upon at all with Version 5?
    NLE: PC, Gigabyte Motherboard with E6850 Core 2 Duo CPU @ 3.0ghz. 4Gb Ram. GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTS250
    DRIVES: 4TB raid 0 array connected to AMCC 3ware SATA controller with 518mb memory. Other Drives: Seagate & WD 7200rpm 1TB each
    SOFTWARE: Edius 5.5, Adobe Encore CS4, Photoshop and After Effects CS4.

  • #2
    Originally posted by richnation View Post
    Ive had problems with HD footage (720p, 24f) in Edius when I change the project settings to 480i so I can export/print/record the project to NTSC video tape or DVD. The problem I exerience is alot of stair stepping, jiggly lines, anti ailiasing when there are busy patterns or thin lines in the video footage. I understand this is a progressive to interlaced conversion problem. Problem also was there when exporting/converting via Procoder Express. Has this been improved upon at all with Version 5?
    Anyone compared? Or do we still need the Virtual Dub method?
    Cheers,
    Stuart.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by beachside View Post
      Anyone compared? Or do we still need the Virtual Dub method?
      Don't know yet my copy should be here this week and will be the first test off the rank.
      I keep some really problematic clips just to test this and have given then to people using other programs but no one will confirm either way, interesting
      Regards Barry
      Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
      GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
      Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

      https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
      Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by beachside View Post
        Anyone compared? Or do we still need the Virtual Dub method?
        Edius5 is the same as 4 in that regard, hopefully someone is working on something?

        Virtual Dub (free) with 2 simple filters (resize and sharpen by 8) does an unreal job and the conversion is realtime on my PC, meaning a 1 hour HD HQ clip will take 1 hour to convert to HQ SD, then I can encode to SD DVD with no artifacts
        Last edited by antonsvideo; 09-22-2008, 03:13 PM.
        Anton Strauss
        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

        EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry, but I agree with Anton. I haven't seen any big moves on this subject compared to 4.61

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
            Virtual Dub (free) with 2 simple filters (resize and sharpen by 8) does an unreal job and the conversion is realtime on my PC, meaning a 1 hour HD HQ clip will take 1 hour to convert to HQ SD, then I can encode to SD DVD with no artifacts
            Which version of Virtual Dub - the original or one of the mods? Or will any work OK?

            Panagiotis

            Comment


            • #7
              Widescreen or 3x4?

              Anton - when you do the Virtual Dub (which I too love!) conversion from HD to SD - do you usually end up with a 16x9 widescreen letterboxed SD version, or do you crop for a 3x4 SD picture? I've run into more artifacts when I crop it than if I keep the native 16x9 ratio. Even with a slight sharpening and sometimes a small amount of motion-blur. Same with you?
              Cheers,
              Alan
              Alan J. Levi
              Director

              SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                Edius5 is the same as 4 in that regard, hopefully someone is working on something?

                Virtual Dub (free) with 2 simple filters (resize and sharpen by 8) does an unreal job and the conversion is realtime on my PC, meaning a 1 hour HD HQ clip will take 1 hour to convert to HQ SD, then I can encode to SD DVD with no artifacts
                Hi anton,

                Have you tried going from HQ AVI (HD) to SD (MPEG2) in TMPEGEnc X4?
                Cheers,
                Stuart.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by beachside View Post
                  Hi anton,

                  Have you tried going from HQ AVI (HD) to SD (MPEG2) in TMPEGEnc X4?
                  yes I have, it is mostly ok but still has artifacts especially on diagonal lines
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                  EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by pgovotsos View Post
                    Which version of Virtual Dub - the original or one of the mods? Or will any work OK?

                    Panagiotis
                    latest stable download 1.8.6
                    Anton Strauss
                    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                    EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
                      Anton - when you do the Virtual Dub (which I too love!) conversion from HD to SD - do you usually end up with a 16x9 widescreen letterboxed SD version, or do you crop for a 3x4 SD picture? I've run into more artifacts when I crop it than if I keep the native 16x9 ratio. Even with a slight sharpening and sometimes a small amount of motion-blur. Same with you?
                      Cheers,
                      Alan
                      I mostly use 4:3 since my HD source footage is 4:3 (1440x1080i) (anamorphic widescreen)

                      I set destination frame size to 720x576 Pal and leave 4:3 and I tick interlaced and add a sharpen filter set to 8

                      then when I open the resulting SD HQ file in Edius or Tmpeg4, I change the aspect to 16:9 and change the field order, since Virtual Dub encodes with the wrong field order

                      the resulting file has no artefacts whatsoever
                      Anton Strauss
                      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                      EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I forgot to mention that I am currently testing to use Virtual Dub as a frame server direct to T4 Xpress for m2v and ac3 encoding
                        Anton Strauss
                        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

                        EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
                          Anton - when you do the Virtual Dub (which I too love!) conversion from HD to SD - do you usually end up with a 16x9 widescreen letterboxed SD version, or do you crop for a 3x4 SD picture? I've run into more artifacts when I crop it than if I keep the native 16x9 ratio. Even with a slight sharpening and sometimes a small amount of motion-blur. Same with you?
                          Cheers,
                          Alan
                          Alan
                          I leave the Aspect in the VirtualDub Video "Resise" filter disabled
                          and with the "Resize" filter selected but not open I select "Cropping" and in X1 and X2 Offset I set to 180 which crops in VD to 4:3
                          I then convert in the VFAPIConverter open Procoder 3 (Not 3.05) as this will not accept the VFAPI AVI file
                          Select my source and change the field order to "Upper"
                          Select the Target, for 4:3 I use Canopus DV and add the Sharpen filter in the Advanced settings with the following preset
                          Radius of Blur 1.5
                          Amount of Blend 0.5
                          Threshold 0
                          No artifacts and the results at 4:3 are as good as from a good SD camera
                          Must try Antons sharpen of 8 in VD
                          Regards Barry
                          Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                          GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                          Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

                          https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                          Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Super explanations....

                            Anton and Barry. I hope everyone has a chance to read your valuable input on these forums. Nothing like experience.
                            Many thanks...believe me!
                            Alan
                            Alan J. Levi
                            Director

                            SYSTEM: ASUS P8Z77-VPro mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 16 Gig Crucial 1866 RAM, Antec 1000W PS, EVGA nVidia 560Ti 1Gig Video, CoolerMaster CPU cooler, LG GGW-H20L BluRay DVD, SPARK card w/23" Samsung 1920x1080 Monitor, OCZ 240GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray & 3 WD Enterprise 1TB video RAID 5 HDD's. 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer2000 Audio Fader/Controller

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I keep hoping for fix from within Edius/procoder. Probably that hope is invain. For some reason, since my source is mainly 1440x1080i 16x9 and my end result is 4x3 SD DVD I have trouble with the Aspect Ratio using the Virdub method.

                              Would someone post the current up to date steps when down converting from HDV 16x9 to SD 4x3?

                              Thanks

                              Ronnie
                              Ronnie Martin
                              Kato Video Productions
                              main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X