Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit

So now that Edius v5 supports Vista 64-bit ,
    what would be the benefit of installing Vista 64-bit & Edius v5?

Do we just add more ram to our PCs to help Vista 64-bit...
    I'm about to buy Vista now because of Edius v5,
    just want to know which way to go...32 or 64 bit & why.

Sorry for the questions but I have no idea about 64-bit PCs.

Thanks guys :)
    GESTOS PRODUCTIONS
    www.gpvideo.com.au

Edius 5 isn't true 64bit software, so why go 64bit vista, as far as I know it just runs on it but is 32bit code..........

Steve
    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

There is still value in having a 64-bit OS (provided all the devices you use have 64-bit drivers).

With a 64-bit OS, each 32-bit process can get up to 2GB of memory (or even more if the application supports Intel's PAE). A 32-bit Windows system is limited to 3GB of RAM in total, with the same 2GB per-process limit. If you run several memory-hungry processes at the same time, being able to use more than 3GB of RAM can speed up your work considerably.

Comment

Yeah, But do your self a favour and find some true 64bit software and see the difference, I have been using 64bit systems for years as I was on the development side of things with Microsoft my friend.

Cheers
        Steve

P.S Really worth researching 64 bit systems and how they work
        Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

I'm well aware of the differences, I'm a software engineer who works on software that is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.

I was merely trying to point out that unless there is a compelling reason not to transition to a 64-bit OS (such as a lack of drivers), there is little reason to build or buy another 32-bit box.

In addition, 64-bit Vista is far more robust and usable than 64-bit XP. The latter has never been supported well by third-party driver developers.

Comment

I'd agree with that, Thoff. And if you go the whole hog and link up with a HDStorm card you would be silly not to move in that direction. The HDStorm will have 64bit drivers early next year. I've had Edius 5 for about a week or so now and it runs fine on Vista x64 Ultimate. See my website...

Comment

For Bill, :)

Mate, if you want to access more system RAM when using multiple programs at once, it is worth going to Vista 64 Ultimate. If you simply want more performance out of EDIUS and don't run other big programs at the same time, then there is no need. The SP card should have 64 bit drivers included in the installer (KH is that right?) while the HDStorm doesn't as of yet as pointed out. Regardless the 64 bit drivers only makes the card work in a the 64 bit OS, it does not make EDIUS run 64 bit native, it won't be any more powerful.

Comment

That's right Mark, people just don't seem to understand 64bit systems, I will say that they think they do and maybe just leave it at that, I didn't waste years of working for Microsoft and in the development side of 64bit XP and Server 64bit, and Vista 64bit for NOTHING. People who want to use 64bit systems my advice is go and do a computer course please.

Steve

Comment

I thought I better explain it a little bit more,There are essentially two reasons why a 64-bit Windows should be faster: Compilers have more options for code optimization and all 64-bit CPUs support the so-called SSEx-instructions, a command set that is supposed to be more efficient.

Some 32-bit CPUs support SSEx, too, but most 32-bit apps don’t use them because that would prevent them from working on older 32-bit processors. Hence it follows that only applications which were optimized for 64-bit will show performance gains. Unfortunately, this isn’t the case for most Windows programs, nowadays.Said in a very simple way, 32bit CPUs process data in 32-bit chunks, while 64bit CPUs process data in 64-bit chunks. Perhaps the main advantage is that with a 32-bit register one can address 2^32 memory addresses (about 4 GB of RAM), while 64-bit registers can address 2^64 addresses (17.2 billion GB of RAM). Also, a 32bit CPU must process 64-bit numbers in two steps, while 64bit CPUs only require one step.
                  The processors run in two modes: 32-bit and 64-bit. In the 64-bit mode, the memory pointers are larger than in the 32-bit mode. While this gives the 64-bit applications access to more memory, the execution contexts and data are incompatible with 32-bit applications. As a result, 64-bit and 32-bit code cannot be mixed within a single process. For example, if a 64-bit process loads a 32-bit Dynamic Link Library (DLL), or vice versa, an error results, saying that the DLL format is incorrect. Consequently, 32-bit applications cannot use the 64-bit system DLLs. Also, in-process Component Object Model (COM) objects must have the same “bit-ness” as their clients. But the standard 32-bit registry does not distinguish 32-bit and 64-bit DLLs. This is one reason why 64bit Vista has WOW86, also try your IE 64bit some sites don't like it, flash player doesn't work in it either, Anyway have fun guys.

cheers
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
                    That's right Mark, people just don't seem to understand 64bit systems, I will say that they think they do and maybe just leave it at that, I didn't waste years of working for Microsoft and in the development side of 64bit XP and Server 64bit, and Vista 64bit for NOTHING. People who want to use 64bit systems my advice is go and do a computer course please.

Steve

With CS4 shipping in October, and being 64bit, I will probably move to Vista 64bit Ultimate. Granted, Edius 5 is not 64bit. But, will work within that environment. My understanding is the entire CS4 package will be 64bit.
                    At that point, I believe moving to the new OS would be worthwhile for me.
                    (If that turns out to be false, I will just go 32bit Vista Ultimate)
                    Edius and the CS3 package is pretty much all I have on my main system.
                    Moving for the sake of moving, I agree is not a smart move. However, moving to a 64bit OS with 64bit programming is.

Is that faulty logic?
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com
                    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Folks, I would prefer we (again) not go into debate on operating system platform efficiency (32 vs 64).

To the long-time followers of our products, this release represents a huge step forward in contemporary computing. Yes, it'd be lovely to have a fully 64-bit native application, but for now...baby steps.

At the end of the day, the choice is left to the consumer. There's no place for elitism here. I don't really care who you worked for in a previous life..

Comment

Thanks to everyone who commented here :)

I think I'll get Vista 64-bit, even if Edius isn't true 64-bit yet.
                        At least when things start to slowly move towards 64-bit hardware/software etc...I will already own a 64-bit OS.

Thanks to all :)
                        GESTOS PRODUCTIONS
                        www.gpvideo.com.au

Comment

I have edius nx express + edius 5
                          on
                          quad core 2.4
                          4gb ram
                          p35 msi motherboard

which OS???
                          xp32/xp64/vista32/vista64 ?

first of all i need stable system for editing hd footage (sony xdcam ex)

Comment

There's no XP 64 drivers, either of the others will work.

Comment

Hello everybody!

I recently download the new Demo of EDIUS 5 and I tested with XP SP3, Vista Ultimate x86 SP1 and with Vista Ultimate x64 SP1.
                              I create a test project with several clips and filters on it. I save them in the video HD.

The PC specs are: Intel DG33FB, C2D E8400 (3Ghz, FSB 1333), 2Gb DDR-2 800Mhz in dual channel, GeForce 8500GT 512Mb, 250Gb SATA System HD, 320Gb SATA Video HD and DVD-RW unit.

The measure method that I use was the real time. I play the timeline until the buffer down to 0 and stops.

In my tests Windows XP with SP3 was the winner in all of them.

I don't use the Windows's factory defaults. I quit everything that use more resources of the system.

So, my questions are:
                              Is XP SP3 better than Vista 32/64bits in the edition?
                              There is some "good" configuration for Vista?

Somebody have any experiences like that?

Thank you all!

Comment

Working...
                              X