Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Premiere CS4 or Edius

Hi,
    Just had a look at the new Adobe Premiere CS4 at a trade show, (should have it soon but can not say anything at the moment) Think I will be leaving Edius and going Back to Premiere, they have soughted out many problems with it, including Encore, after effects, ect,

cheers
    Steve
    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

I would not go to PPRO CS4 at present it has had to be improved a **** sight more , PPRO2 is stables and i uses it alot and it works, PPRO3 for me was a just problems and headaches etc ...... I cannot see Adobe giving me the RT out like Edius or the speed to edit a program. Yes Edius is not 100% there are problems but for a workhorse day to day fast editing edius just cannot be beat.

So what does the new CS4 offer new or more and that is not buggy and that works ....... As for now Edius still floats my boat

Comment

Here is some info from

Adobe Premiere CS4 Premium Release with third party content | 665MB Adobe Premiere Pro is a real-time, timeline based video editing software application. It is part of the Adobe Creative Suite, a suite of graphic design, video editing, and web development applications made by Adobe Systems, though it can also be purchased separately. Even when purchased separately, it comes bundled with Adobe Encore and Adobe OnLocation. Premiere Pro supports many video editing cards and plug-ins for accelerated processing, additional file format support, and video/audio effects. Premiere Pro is the redesigned successor to Adobe Premiere, and was launched in 2003. Premiere Pro refers to versions released in 2003 and later, whereas Premiere refers to the earlier releases. Although the first two versions of Premiere Pro only supported Windows, Premiere Pro CS3 is available for both Windows and Mac OS (only Intel-based Macs are supported), making it one of the few cross-platform NLEs available. Premiere Pro is being used by broadcasters such as the BBC[1] and The Tonight Show[2]. It has been used in feature films, such as Dust to Glory, Captain Abu Raed[3], and Superman Returns[4] (for the video capture process), and other venues such as Madonna's Confessions Tour[5]. Premiere Pro supports high quality video editing at up to 4K x 4K resolution, at up to 32-bits per channel color, in both RGB and YUV. Audio sample-level editing, VST audio plug-in support, and 5.1 surround sound mixing are available for high audio fidelity. Premiere Pro's plug-in architecture enables it to import and export formats beyond the constraints of QuickTime or DirectShow, supporting a wide variety of video and audio file formats and codecs on both MacOS and Windows. Version 1.5 improved support for high-definition video content, and added new project management tools and new filters. It also included support for 24p footage (such as footage from Panasonic's DVX-100). Version 1.5.1 added support for HDV. Version 2.0 further refines 24p and HDV editing, and it is the first major NLE to natively support the Canon 24F[6] format on cameras such as the Canon XL H1, with an additional update.[7][8] Since version 2.0, Premiere Pro has required a processor that supports SSE2, which is unavailable in some older processors.[9] Premiere Pro CS3 added support for output to Blu-ray Disc, MPEG-4/H.264 and Flash-based web sites, as well as Time Remapping, an easy-to-use variable frame rate implementation. Starting in Premiere Pro CS3, Adobe Encore is included for authoring menus and interactivity for DVDs, Blu-Ray discs, and Flash projects for the web. Adobe OnLocation (Windows-only) is also included for direct-to-disc recording and monitoring. Updates to Premiere Pro CS3 have added native support for new camera file formats. 3.1 added native Panasonic P2 MXF import, editing, and export of DVCPRO, DVCPRO50 and DVCPRO HD material. 3.2 added native XDCAM HD and EX import and editing. Integration Premiere Pro is integrated heavily with Adobe After Effects, an industry-standard for motion graphics and compositing. Compositions from After Effects can be imported into Premiere Pro and played back directly on the timeline. The After Effects composition can be modified, and after switching back to Premiere Pro, the clip will immediately update with the changes. Likewise, Premiere Pro projects can be imported into After Effects. Clips can be copied between the two applications while preserving clip attributes. Premiere Pro also supports many After Effects plug-ins. Premiere Pro also integrates well with Adobe Photoshop. Photoshop files can opened directly from Premiere Pro to be edited in Photoshop. Any changes will immediately be updated when the Photoshop file is saved and focus returns to Premiere Pro. There are other integration functions, such as Edit in Adobe Soundbooth, Export to Encore, and Reveal in Bridge. Advantages over Premiere Elements An entry-level version, Adobe Premiere Elements, is available for the consumer market on Windows. Some of the notable advantages of Premiere Pro over Premiere Elements are multiple sequence support, high bit-depth rendering, multicamera editing, time remapping, scopes, color correction tools, advanced audio mixer interface, and bezier keyframing. Premiere Pro also includes Encore for more elaborate DVD menu authoring and Blu-Ray authoring, and OnLocation for direct-to-disk recording. Premiere Pro faces competition in the marketplace from Sony Vegas, products from Avid, and Apple's Final Cut Pro

Comment

Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
        Hi,
        Just had a look at the new Adobe Premiere CS4 at a trade show, (should have it soon but can not say anything at the moment) Think I will be leaving Edius and going Back to Premiere, they have soughted out many problems with it, including Encore, after effects, ect,

cheers
        Steve
        Do you really need to use Dynamic Link?
        I for one have the whole CS3 Production Bundle and I never use it. The only time I would use it is if I authored a motion/still menu with Encore.

Comment

never go back on premiere..Edius best, wait anxiously Edius 5..
          Windows 10 x64, Edius 6.55, Edius 8 Pro, Intel 4790K, ASUS Z87-PLUS , DDR 32 Gb, Nvidia GeForce 780 , Apple Cinema Display 27, Canopus NX with Expansion kit

Comment

Originally posted by narik View Post
            wait anxiously Edius 5..
            Besides the well documented bugs since ver. 1.x still in 4.x, what is there to wish for ............ did I miss something ?

Output speed (true multicore usage) / quality (hd to sd) improvements are always welcome !

Comment

Ahhh Premiere...

But is its interface intuitive? Is it fast you ask? Does it have very few features ?

The answer to all these questions is a firm NO! Its interface is confusing, Its slow as a sloth when compared to Edius and it suffers from something I would never would consider a problem..... Feature Bloat. I love the slick interface and dedicated feature set that Edius offers. I would get both because all the other programs are useful. But if your main purpose is editing, my opinion is your money is best spent on Edius.
              ---------------------------------------------------
              Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

Comment

and is Final Cut Pro any better in intuition or feature set or speed?
                Or does Edius still win?
                Documentaries and Art Projects
                Hudson Valley, NY

i7 8700K @ 3.70 Ghz/16 gb RAM
                windows 10
                284 gb SSD boot drive
                2 TB work disc
                2TB storage disc
                EDIUS 9.52.6031
                Many external project hard drives

Comment

Theres no real way to answer the question "Which is best?" It all depends on what your doing. Edius is the fastest editor out there but Premiere blows it away if your doing more time involved projects espcially if you use Photoshop or AE. For Weddings (my buisness) Edius (for now) is the best. Commercial work or Documentarys id go with Premiere or FCP. News Edius definatly.
                  Randy

Asus sabertooth MB Z97 16 gigs of ram SSD system and edit drives Nvidia GTX-660 video card

Comment

Originally posted by Tobe View Post
                    and is Final Cut Pro any better in intuition or feature set or speed?
                    Or does Edius still win?
                    I should post a video of FCP running on my mac pro 8 core. The test would consist of the same clip being dropped on the time line and a few effects added as well as a cut or two.

The first thing you will see is all the re-rendering that you have to do in FCP as Edius flys right by in real time 100% of the time.

Same thing with Bloat, And its ugly organization of tools is showing its age.
                    ---------------------------------------------------
                    Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

Comment

You cannot compare fast but poor Edius with FCP used by PRO's all over or Adobe Premiere which is a "father" of FCP, but with AE in dynamic link it is absolutely fantastic!
                      Edius is good, but please, think about amounts of 3rd party plugins you can install for PPro-AE tandem... Think about lots of books, videotutorials etc...

Anyway, you want to edit wedding? Or something simple but fast? Go Edius.
                      Want some work of art? FCP studio or Adobe package (not Premiere alone!)
                      Asus P8P67, Intel i7 2600K working at 4.50 Ghz, 16Gb Kingston RAM, Windows 7 64bit, 500Gb system drive, 320Gb Data drive and 1TB RAID-0 for AV, Edius NX Express, EVGA nVidia GTX 570 2.5CB DDR5, 750w ALTEC power and some creativity...

Comment

Originally posted by mike0130 View Post
                        You cannot compare fast but poor Edius with FCP used by PRO's all over or Adobe Premiere which is a "father" of FCP, but with AE in dynamic link it is absolutely fantastic!
                        Edius is good, but please, think about amounts of 3rd party plugins you can install for PPro-AE tandem... Think about lots of books, videotutorials etc...

Anyway, you want to edit wedding? Or something simple but fast? Go Edius.
                        Want some work of art? FCP studio or Adobe package (not Premiere alone!)
                        Incorrect. An NLE is just a weapon.

I'm fluent in all three, but I prefer EDIUS for the speed.

Just because FCP is considered the industry standard does not mean that it's "the best". Actually it has many many quirks. FCP is the industry standard (not Film yet, that's still Avid) because getting Mac's and the FCS2 bundle is cheaper for studios than getting Avid's setup.

I constantly combine After Effects & EDIUS work together all the time. Of course there is no way to get these two to talk together, they shouldn't in the first place. Each application does it's own job.

I would never ever do graphics in an NLE. I constantly jump between AE & EDIUS for that.

And Premiere is not the father of FCP. Macromedia used to own FCP, Apple bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                          I'm fluent in all three, but I prefer EDIUS for the speed.
                          Just because FCP is considered the industry standard does not mean that it's "the best".
                          ... I constantly jump between AE & EDIUS for that.
                          1 Edius for speed- agree.
                          2 FCP- not the best- agree, but just think (forget about the speed!) what you can do in MOTION-FCP tandem!
                          3 Yes, but it is not the same as dynamic link! I wish Edius and AE will be better friends... And maybe with Particle Illusion too? :)
                          Asus P8P67, Intel i7 2600K working at 4.50 Ghz, 16Gb Kingston RAM, Windows 7 64bit, 500Gb system drive, 320Gb Data drive and 1TB RAID-0 for AV, Edius NX Express, EVGA nVidia GTX 570 2.5CB DDR5, 750w ALTEC power and some creativity...

Comment

For me the Edius interface is the one that's confusing while Premiere Pro is more logical, and that's having used Edius since it came out while only using Premiere Pro a little in the past year or so. I still use Edius for editing but Soundbooth is great for audio cleanup and Encore is good for Blu-ray and DVD authoring -- so for me the answer to the original question is "both".
                            Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Well I am looking at these NLEs for a while now.
                              I come from SpeedRazor via Liquid. Both of them have been the best at their time for a small produciton house. I exclude AVID here, because AVID is a standard, but it asks for several people working in a unit. Too expensive....

Edius: My workhorse for 2 years now (started with version 4.0). It is fast, stable and uses incredible little PC-power to play in realtime. I am editing 720p on my old MONO-Core 1,73 GHz laptop. Of course my desktop which is a quadcore 2,8GHz flies through renders and encodings (DVD encoding 4x realtime is fast enough for me). I use a lot of XDCam EX and P2 and Edius is fun to do that. Tape?....forget it, this editor is made to be used with digital content.
                              Effects are weak, 3D doesn´t exist, the titler is embarassing, color correction is 90s......you hear me: this is an editor. I use AAF-export to colorcorrect in After Effects, but it is not ideal.
                              I had a project recently where we had to make several same-day edits. The easiest was for every camerman to edit his own portion on his laptop. We all shot P2. We had 2 Premeires, 1 FCP and my Edius in the room. I was always easily the fastest. Like 30% faster than the FCP, but more to that later..

Premiere: I have to admit I never used it extensively, but I can tell you my findings from watching others: I have seen great stuff edited in Premiere, so it can be done. The audioportion is extremely good. What´s really good is its compatibility with 3rd party hardware (Axio, RTX, BlackMagic...). As an editor it is in the middle of the pack and its integration with PS and AE is not perfect yet, but ways ahead of Edius.

FCP: Turns out to be the standard. Weird, but that´s what happens. Weird? Yes, it is by far the slowest and least intuitive NLE IMO. You an Apple user and don´t trust me? Well here is an anekdote: I shot the Ironman in Hawaii and we were in Co-operation with the host-broadcasters NBC and ESPN. The brought.......3 FCP stations. Big, full-monty HD stations with tons of RAIDs etc. DVCProHD tapedecks...
                              I asked the editors why they used them. Price. They HATE it, although they all were Apple guys (AVID in their studios). FCP was only chosen because as a full equipped HD station it is the cheapest (which is funny, because for me a FCP station costs at least twice as much as a PC with the same power). Anyway, they said it was slow and complicated to be used, and actually to me it looked like they were flying through it with shortcuts and such. S they knew it, but prefereed Avid of course. One even said he rather used Premiere. I also constantly run into FCPs on my project and for fast stuff I keep getting "can´t do this" and "That´s not how it works" in FCP where Edius things are easily faster.
                              Having said all that I am contemplating to switch to FCP. Why? Because a) it is a standard and used by many collegues and I am tired of swapping uncompressed files around instead of staying in Canopus HQ or AppleProRes. Edius simply doesn´t get market penetration due to their inability to offer b) 3rd party hardware-support. Buy FCP for 1200 and add a 900ish card and you get HDMI and HD-SDI. Done. And c) the integration of Motion and the extremely slow but powerful Color make the FCP combo the final solution for "slower" more creative work.
                              I will slow down and maybe need to bring an assitant for a few projects to start roughcutting earlier, but it will save me postproduction time.

I wait for Edius 5 now. If they bring a decent hardware and a few new features especially for 3D, titling and such I stick to it, but otherwise I slow down and move to Appleland... :(

Comment

Working...
                              X