Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panasonic P2 - Simple Questions Hopefully

Hi all,

We're thinking of upgrading our shoot gear and are leaning towards investing in the Panasonic P2 system.

We currently use Edius Pro - will that be compatible with the files, or do we have to upgrade to Edius Broadcast? If so, could anyone give an approproximate cost in £ to upgrade? Would Canopus do a "trade in" or would we have to re-buy Edius Broadcast from scratch?

Thanks for any help :)

you should buy a broadcast upgrade... 230 £ approproximatly.
    Aristotelis Bafaloukos
    Systems Engineer, Video Editor, 3D Artist
    BEng (Hons), MSc, MBCS

Ctrl+Alt+Delete

Comment

Originally posted by WMPTV View Post
      Hi all,

We're thinking of upgrading our shoot gear and are leaning towards investing in the Panasonic P2 system.

We currently use Edius Pro - will that be compatible with the files, or do we have to upgrade to Edius Broadcast? If so, could anyone give an approproximate cost in £ to upgrade? Would Canopus do a "trade in" or would we have to re-buy Edius Broadcast from scratch?
      I speak from experience on this. I have 2 copies of Edius. Both run Edius 4.6.
      The way it works when you buy the upgrade you get a dongle.
      This way if you have 2 machines with Edius, like me, you can just take that dongle over to the other machine and there you go.
      No trade in required.

Now, here is your dilema. We have a new version coming out between now and the end of the year. You can either buy Broadcast upgrade now and then buy the 5.0 version upgrade later. Or, just hold off and buy Edius Broadcast 5.0 when it is released. I have NO idea what pricing will be. This is what you will have to decide.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

If I were you, I would hold off on the Edius upgrade for just a bit. As Jerry said 5.0 is coming very soon and an upgrade right now would be a waste. I believe that Kenneally said that 5.0 will unify all of the Edius versions (i.e. Broadcast, Pro) and will make it all Vista compatible.

Comment

That sounds interesting.
          Steve
          EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Originally posted by pjsssss View Post
            If I were you, I would hold off on the Edius upgrade for just a bit. As Jerry said 5.0 is coming very soon and an upgrade right now would be a waste. I believe that Kenneally said that 5.0 will unify all of the Edius versions (i.e. Broadcast, Pro) and will make it all Vista compatible.
            Correct me if I am wrong on this Pat. WIth the upgrade Broadcast version, I would go back to 1 dongle, even though it is an upgrade.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

As I understand it, if you upgrade to 5.0 you will receive a new dongle that will take the place of everything else.

Comment

Actually, I've never said anything about about dongles and versions. Don't know where that came from?

To the OP - an EDIUS Broadcast update will be all that's required for P2. Just, as other's have warned, be aware that a new version of EDIUS ship before the year is over.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback everyone - I guess to hold off until the end of the year would be prudent....will make a nice Xmas present eh?

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by WMPTV View Post
                    Why? Unless you're shooting for someone else who uses P2 there are several more modern and affordable solid-state cameras to choose from, including the Sony EX1 and the Panasonic HMC150. P2 is an aging, overpriced media which isn't compatible with modern laptop slots, the cameras which use it lack decent HD sensors, and the recording codec is horizontally compressed more than other solutions. Forget the hype and look past P2 to something more practical.
                    Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Originally posted by kwshaw1 View Post
                      Why? Unless you're shooting for someone else who uses P2 there are several more modern and affordable solid-state cameras to choose from, including the Sony EX1 and the Panasonic HMC150. P2 is an aging, overpriced media which isn't compatible with modern laptop slots, the cameras which use it lack decent HD sensors, and the recording codec is horizontally compressed more than other solutions. Forget the hype and look past P2 to something more practical.

Hi Kw, yes thanks for that, we were umming and arring but after more deliberation we've now invested in Sony EX3's. Should be delivered this week hopefully :)

Comment

Working...
                      X