No announcement yet.

Blu Ray Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dad takes his SD card out of his camera and puts it in his tv, automatically each picture has a fade between it and music is added as they just sit back and watch a slideshow of their day out.

Graham
    www.myvideoproblems.com
    Microsoft MVP in Digital Media

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2

Comment

Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
      True John it is cheaper, and Blu Ray probably will be short lived, as I said a lot of players won't play BD-R and BD-RE disk's and a lot will. Who knows what the future will hold.. I have been reading abit about players having problems with some of the new movie releases as well, (i.e NOT PLAYING MOVIES) so what does that tell us.

Cheers
      Steve
      Have you purchased a blu-ray movie release recently? All discs that I have purchased have a disclaimer within the disc packaging telling the customer to update firmware for the player that they will be using.
      Every format has a limited life span. Money is the key issue. Planned obsolescence!
      That said, no matter what format is in the hands of the end user, issues will arise due to incompetence.
      I have never had an issue with playback of anything I burn or buy. So I have a hard time putting the blame on the format.

All new players will or will have firmware updates to enable playback of BD-r's.
      You can blame Sony for the delay in the playback issue. They had every blu-ray manufacturers remove that feature from the firmware about 4 months after the first burner was released. That has been reversed and has started moving forward.

It's your choice to bypass the format. But, I have been burning blu-ray for 2 years without a failure or issue of playback compatibility. I also deliver blu-ray content on standard DVD without issue as well. And yes, both versions are very profitable from my Corporate customers.
      Jerry
      Six Gill DV
      www.sgdvtutorials.com
      If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
      http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
      Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Maybe in the states yes, but I still know of a lot of players out here that will not support BD-RE & BD-R disk's, They even say this in the advertising of them. And you also mentioned Corprate, I was talking about the wedding industry as standard, I was playing around with Blu-Ray long before it was released to the public (or even heard of by the public) so incompetence doesn't come into play, HD TV's and Blu-Ray players cost money and alot of people (home Viewers) just can not justify the price at the moment, maybe in the near future as the prices will come down yes, but with the way things are going in the world with Finances at the moment I think it will be a little while yet, I think this is why the movie studio's ect still supply new release movies on DVD as the standard for video shops to hire out and only carry a few Blu-Ray movies in stock, (some Video stores not all) When you think about it their is still alot of people around who use the VHS players. I own 2 sony Blu-Ray burners and I always give my clients the option of DVD or Blu-Ray as I shoot in HD with a Sony HVR-Z7P, but all seem to choose DVD,
        Maybe one day if I am lucky someone will want there wedding in Blu-Ray.

Cheers
        Steve
        Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

One of the reasons why firmware updates are a part of life for Blu-Ray is that AACS allows for the device keys to be revoked, meaning that new titles may not be playable unless you update the firmware.

Software-only players periodically "phone home" and check for updates, and will inform you that unless you update, some disks may not play.

Similarly, standalone Blu-Ray players devices supporting Profile 2.0 are required to have an Internet connection for this same reason.

Comment

I've been delivering my weddings in both standard and Blu-ray for over a year. (don't know if the clients ever watch the Blu, more of a sales pitch at the moment). The blu stuff looks very very good, my mo is HQ avi into roxio Pro HD, let roxio do all that funny stuff to the file and it spits out the disc. now using Maxell's from Frys electronics 5 for 40 bucks. Gary

Comment

Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
              HD TV's and Blu-Ray players cost money and alot of people (home Viewers) just can not justify the price at the moment, maybe in the near future as the prices will come down yes,
              Check this link out:
              http://tvpredictions.com/sales082208.htm
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

hi..i don't know in OZ but smaller country like mine indonesia..the blu ray sells quite easy in wedding industry...what i did...educate the client,show them the differences,give an upgrade price ( only $500differences DVD vs BD ),TELL THEM THAT WE GIVE THEM 4 SET OF DVD TOO.(+1 BD MASTER)
                and walah!deal!..
                we sell wedding HDV for US$2000 (multicam wedding event with 3 FX-1)
                ;) i don't know what price tag u gave to ur clients....but i believe my price is cheaper than in ur country
                MOtion Candid CApture
                www.houseofmocca.com
                Indonesia

Comment

I think we're getting a bit derailed from the original discussion here, guys..

Comment

Fukly, I might try this myself and see how it goes,

Cheers
                    Steve
                    Main system, Supermicro X8DAH+,Dual Xeon X5680 cpu's 24 cores,2x1400watt power supplys,SC747TG-R1400B-SQ Case,192GB 1333mhz ECC Registered ram,8 x 480GB Intel 520 SSD drives,Windows 7 64 bit ultimate, GTX 670 4GB ,2 x Sony BWU300S Blu-Ray burners, 1x Sony DVD burner,LSI 9266 Raid Controller with Cache vault & fast path Lic, ESI MayaE Audio,HD Spark,Blackmagic intensity Pro,TMPGenc 5,Episode Pro 6,Sorenson 9 Pro,Alcohol 120 V2, Edius 6.53,Dell 27"LCD,HD Spark, Powershield 3000VA UPS.

Comment

Well there is a need and my customers have asked for it, that's how I started this whole thread.

So...as I take it...the consensus is outputting from Edius in HQ AVI putting that file into Roxio or DVD It HD. I have a Pioneer Blu Ray writer/ burner.

The discussion is not about whether this will last or if people want it. I just want to know how people are doing it and what issues they have. :)
                      Motion Art Cinematography

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I7 4.2ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post
                        Well there is a need and my customers have asked for it, that's how I started this whole thread.

So...as I take it...the consensus is outputting from Edius in HQ AVI putting that file into Roxio or DVD It HD. I have a Pioneer Blu Ray writer/ burner.

The discussion is not about whether this will last or if people want it. I just want to know how people are doing it and what issues they have. :)
                        Don't know about DVD IT HD encoding but ProCoder is much better than Encore encoding, I can only assume that it is better than DVD IT HD also because ProCoder is an encoder program, the other are authoring program, they just put a encoder in there for convenient, I have sucess using ProCoder to encode, Encore to author menu & chapters, I did try DVD It HD to author but found that going from playing the movie back to the menu takes a few seconds, it was instant with Encore, but Encore is much slower compiling, preview is half resolution, although I think DVDit HD is easier and faster, I stick with Encore just because of the slow response of going from playing timeline to menu.
                        I7-6900K, X99 Taichi, Geforce GTX 1070, Corsair RM850X, Corsair H100 IV2, Windows 10, Edius WG 9.30

Comment

You do not need Procoder to encode out Blu_Ray spec files from EDIUS.
                          Here is a video on how to do it with just Procoder Express.
                          The files go straight into DVDit ProHD.....no re rendering.
                          http://www.hdvunderwater.com/blue/blue.htm

I also made a mini Blu_Ray on a normal DVD-r disk.
                          http://www.hdvunderwater.com/videoclips/bluray.wmv
                          Win 10 pro, Intel Core i7 8700K, ASRock Z370 Extreme 4, 16 GIGs Corsair Vengeance 3000 Ram, Single SATA drives, Nvidia GTX 560.
                          www.flykam.com.au www.wagscapes.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post

Ok, you want a straight answer.

Read up on aspects, frame rates and requirements for your particular authoring package. Learn the bd resolutions that are valid. You will also have to decide if you want menus, motion or not, and quality of image put upon the disc. When I say read up, I don't mean here on the forum, I mean by ways of reading the manual. Usually, you can download a .pdf of the manual from the creators website. RTFM. It pays to do this.

Once you do this you will have a better understanding of what you can actually put onto a bd by way of your package. You will have fewer issues, if at all, and won't burn a $11 coaster. It will also help you decide which application that YOU, not me or someone else recommends, YOU will choose from research.

Go to the forums of your respective authoring choice and read a few of the posts. You will garner a lot of information from those visits. Also, this is a big also, take into consideration end users who have not read the manual and are blindly attempting to do this by way of pure luck. These will be the guys that just got the burner and the software and want someone to explain it to them.

You have several choices depending on the complexity of your bd:

Encore CS3
                            DVDITPROHD
                            ULEAD DVD Movie Factory 6+
                            Cyberlink
                            Nero 8

Java starts here:

DO Studio
                            Bluprint
                            Scenarist

You can encode by way of the programs onboard encoder. Do I recommend this, NO. Use a good encoder such as Procoder 3 (Procoder Express will work...but not as fast on multiple files) or Sorenson Squeeze. There are others, but these are actually affordable.

I just want to know how people are doing it and what issues they have.

As I said, go to the forums for each of these authoring packages and read the posts. You will get a better feel for Blu-ray from the site that actually makes the program to author BD. This is where you will read about the major issues of each program.

KH,
                            Sorry to be so off topic on this.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV
                            www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

That's fine. It's just that issues like Blu-ray still tend to cause debate over its worth in the marketplace, which has no place around these parts.

I'm happy to say that the workflow to Blu-ray will get a little easier, moving forward.

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input. I HAVE been doing a lot of reading on other forums, but of course this was another avenue to see what people were doing with Edius. Everyone has always been very informative on here and I appreciate the support.
                                Motion Art Cinematography

Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Intel I7 4.2ghz, 32GB Ram, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070

Gold Coast, Australia

Comment

Working...
                                X