Importing Apple ProRes media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Importing Apple ProRes media

I have v4.54 with SP hardware and need to work on media exported from FCP. The media properties are: frame size = 1920x1080, video codec = Apple ProRes 422 (HQ), non-interlaced, audio codec = 16 bit Little Endian. Any advice?
    EDIUS WG 8.52, VisTitle 2.9, Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1
    Intel S5520 HC, Dual Xeon E5520 @ 2.26 GHz, 12GB DDR3, 8TB RAID5, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB, SHX-E2
    EDIUS WG 9.52, VisTitle 2.9, Windows 10 Pro 64bit
    Intel P8Z77-M, i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz 4 cores, GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB, 8GB DDR3, HDSpark

ProRes is incapable of being viewed outside of Mac OS, so you'll need to export that footage to something Windows-compatible.

For EDIUS, you'll have to use:

- HDV
    - DVCPRO HD
    - Uncompressed HD (huge files)

Comment

Agreed with KH, DVCPROHD will be your best bet, though you'll lose some resolution as DVCPROHD is not full HD.

Comment

You could also look into the Sheer codec, it is available for Macs and PCs and has a lossless option.

Comment

Thanks for the help.
          Intel S5520 HC, Dual Xeon E5520 @ 2.26 GHz, 12GB DDR3, 8TB RAID5, GeForce GTX 1650 4GB, SHX-E2
          Intel P8Z77-M, i7-3770 @ 3.4 GHz 4 cores, GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB, 8GB DDR3, HDSpark

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
            ProRes is incapable of being viewed outside of Mac OS, so you'll need to export that footage to something Windows-compatible.

For EDIUS, you'll have to use:

- HDV
            - DVCPRO HD
            - Uncompressed HD (huge files)
            HDV, forget it.
            DVCPROHD, may not have Broadcast.

Of those I still prefer the uncompressed way. It takes the guess work out of importing into any editor. When in doubt, just drop back and punt!
            If you do not have the drive space, HDV would be available without Broadcast.
            Jerry
            Six Gill DV
            www.sgdvtutorials.com
            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

There is a way, you can do offline / online edit and save drive space.
              JoiCam´s
              Edit station1: i7 6700K 4 ghz, 32gb ram, Edius 9 Workgroup, Davinci Resolve studio 16, 8GB GPU & Intensity Pro 4K
              2: 17" Laptop i7 w: Edius 9 Workgroup
              3: HPxw8600 dual 3ghz Xeon, STORM 3G, , Edius 7, 32 GB ram.
              4: Edius 7, Supermicro x7da8 dual 3ghz Xeon.
              Audio: Protools & Nuendo, M-Audio and Presonus interfaces, control surfaces and preamps, dual 3ghz Xeon. 16gb Ram.
              Studio monitoring: Mackie 1402-VLZ Pro mixer and Mackie HR824 Spk. Panasonic surround system.
              And more

Comment

Originally posted by johannesj View Post
                There is a way, you can do offline / online edit and save drive space.
                I forgot to add that the Apple media comes from a different edit facility, not mine. So they'll have to give it to me uncompressed...

Comment

Just an update, Apple has released a Windows decoder for ProRes.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...orwindows.html

This is great for people who have both PC's and Mac's.

There is also a ProRes decoder available for OSX if you don't have the FCP bundle. That can be found here.

EDIUS should be able to import the ProRes material through QuickTime once you install this decoder. However, EDIUS still has the color shift when you import QT files in EDIUS 4.61

Comment

ProRes on PC

The latest QT version 7.6 no longer needs the update. ProRes decoding is now included into the free codec/player.
                    ExFool Atlanta
                    Main: Asus Z97-E; i7-4790K OC @ 4.5GHz; 32GB RAM; MSI VENTUS XS OC Edition GTX 1660

Comment

Yep, whil eI can´t import ProRes with Audio when importing ProResHQ I have no problems at all. Works great.

Comment

Working...
                      X