Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roscoe_video
    replied
    I was using 4.51 and then upgraded to 4.61.

Still had long save times.

Found the problem was sequences which were removed from the timeline but still in the project window, which contained rough cuts. These were slowing the save down considerably.

REmoved all unused sequences and save time went down to 1-2secs.

Leave a comment:

• Martin_Gleeson
    replied
    What version of Edius are you using?

Leave a comment:

• pehrbau
    replied
    My current HDV project is about 50 minutes, 15 sequencies and the ezp file is about 250kB. It takes about 5 s to save manually. Auto savings are not noticeble.

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    I just realised there is another possibility here ... do you render your video? Those so-called "over-done" areas (forgot the exact term EDIUS calls it) - if so, your Project could be huge if you do that.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Originally posted by roscoe_video View Post
    When I am starting a project and have cuts only and no effects, Edius saves a 20min project in about 1-2 secs. When I have added transitions and effects it takes up to 20secs to save. The project is about 500kb, and stored on the system drive, not the raid where the data is.

Is this normal?
    does your project contain files that are not canopus DV or HQ or wav?

do you use still images that are not tga?

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    Try NOT to save user files into the Windows system drive. I keep things separated - User data / files into a drive that's not part of the Windows system drive. There are reasons for that - too long to write here.

RAID 0 (and RAID 5) on SCSI disks on a fast SCSI RAID controller (I use Adaptec) - the impact of writing is not that apparent to me.

I think your problem is because you are using SATA disks - and if the disks fill up - the performance drops. SCSI don't have this problem. If you use Large capacity SATA disks to keep the video data (mainly read only from EDIUS point of view) - no problems. But, the read/write data (like EDIUS project files) - will get a performance hit if the SATA disks are "full".

On my system, I keep the large video files (P2 files and Canopus HD files) in the 3 1TB SATA disks - configured as 1 Windows drive letter. Those data are mainly read only. The read/write data are all on SCSI disks.

Leave a comment:

• tony
    replied
    Do a search, I've seen this discussed before. You shouldn't save to system drive.

Tony.

Leave a comment:

• roscoe_video
    replied
    Hi tingsern,

I save it on the system disc for the same reason you save yours on a raid, to give me some redundancy should by raid 0 pack it in. I mentioned that I was saving to a separate drive, as I had already tried it on the same drive and it made no difference.

"I save mine on a RAID 0 (stripe across 4 SCSI disks) but, immediately copied it to another directory that is on RAID 5 (across 4 SCSI disks)."

How are you able to do this? Do you do it manually or do you have it automated? Why not save it to the RAid 5 first up, save all the copying?

I will run a defrag program, but the system is new and the disk is barely 30% full.

I'm having the same problems with an older Dual core system, and Core Duo laptop.

As I increase the complexity of the projects, the save time also increases.

Leave a comment:

• tingsern
    replied
    Hi Roscoe,

Why are you saving the project file on System Disk? Can't you save it elsewhere? If you loose the project file, you have to start everything from point zero. I save mine on a RAID 0 (stripe across 4 SCSI disks) but, immediately copied it to another directory that is on RAID 5 (across 4 SCSI disks). I have project files going from 200KB (including titles, and effects) all the way to 4MB so far. My system saves the largest ones (4MB) in about 1 - 2 seconds. The video itself resides on 3 1TB SATA disks.

I suggest you run a defrag on your system disk (DISKEEPER, PERFECT DISK or equivalent) and see whether you get better I/O performance then?

A lot of folks only talk about how fast CPUs, memories, etc are - forgetting that I/O is just as important for video editing.

If you can't get your system to save a 500KB in 2 seconds, something is wrong with it.

Leave a comment:

• UlfLaursen
    replied
    Hi

I don't think so - I have never monitored time when mine is saving, and that means it does it really quick. I would guess up to 5 sec. would be ok.

Maybe others can give you more input on why yours could be so long.

/Ulf

Leave a comment:

• roscoe_video
    started a topic What is normal to save a project

What is normal to save a project

When I am starting a project and have cuts only and no effects, Edius saves a 20min project in about 1-2 secs. When I have added transitions and effects it takes up to 20secs to save. The project is about 500kb, and stored on the system drive, not the raid where the data is.

Is this normal?
Working...
X