Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• johannesj
    replied
    But my heart beat did stop for fiew sec.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    !!!!!!! That is not my only choice. That i know. ;)

johannes

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    The main subject was hdcam sr 10bit 4:4:4, then also about hdcam 750 10bit 4:2:2.
    This has been clered out for me that i will need another capture board for import and export of both of those, so i can keep the original quality all the way to the finished master tape, yes i wana keep it 10bit.
    I will do offline edit in Edius and then ill export the EDL and finish online from an other, i can live with that for some time.
    My dream is doing my projects in Edius all the way, 10bit 4:2:2 uncompressed and even 10bit 4:4:4 uncompressed.
    Until then i will do it this way.
    I hope there will be at least 10bit 4:2:2 Edius soon.

Edius is and will be my main Edid system as it keep´s on growing, like it has.

Again thanks for all your help on this.
    This has been a grate help.

My werrrrry best
    Johannes
    Last edited by johannesj; 07-06-2008, 11:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    It should be noted, that a great deal of cameras still record data at 8-bit. It's when you move into the realm of digital content creation that 10-bit stands out.

To clarify, putting a 10-bit clip on the timeline won't magically rewrite the source file into 8-bit. It's what you produce from EDIUS, that will be different. It's non-destructive editing, after all..

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by andrew_hd View Post
    Yep- 10bit files work fine, but in Edius they are not anymore 10bit, but 8bit, which is still fine in most cases, but not always.

You have 10bit source, but by importing it into Edius you loose your "nice" 2 bits:) Try to capture some gradients, import to Edius and export. You will see what will happen:)

Andrew
    I disagree with the gradient part of your post.
    I do a lot of underwater work, talk about gradients-anyway you look you have a gradient.
    If you are capturing into 8bit compressed HQ codec, yes you will see gradient.
    (Capturing to Canopus HQ by way of firewire I get gradient). I also did with Cineform Aspect product as well. It appears to be a codec issue.
    Prospect did not give me the gradient.

I capture with my Intensity Pro at 8bit either uncompressed or MJPEG.
    Neither one of these give me the gradient issue. This is captured either by way of analog or HDMI at 1920x1080 square pixel.

A 10bit compressed codec would be very helpful for use within Edius.
    I know that has been a product request for quite some time.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Hi there
    Thanks for all your help on this.
    Ill go for AJA then, and ill be ediding offline in Edius.
    then ill export the EDL and do the collorcorrection and finish online in an other before exporting to tape again. i do not wana lose any color information.

Again, all of you ave been grate help on this.
    Big thanks to you.

Edius ediding and capturing 10bit 4:4:4 will be in my dreams until it will com true. Soon i hope.

All my best
    Johannes
    Last edited by johannesj; 07-03-2008, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I spoke with someone who knows, here is what he said

You need a dual link card to do 4:4:4 such as from decklink or AJA. I really prefer the AJA cards, such as XENA for such a purpose. The AJA drivers are head and shoulders above Black Magic, in my opinion having owned both personally.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Also johannesj note that EDIUS is only 8bit and 4:2:2 so you will lose color information. Maybe a future version of EDIUS will support 10bit 4:4:4, it is a necessity for higher end filmmakers.

If you don't mind that you might just use EDIUS HD to capture 8bit 4:2:2 to Canopus HQ codec from the camera, that is if it allows 4:2:2 output from the HD-SDI connection, which it should. Give it a try.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    You never stated as to your raid's ability to handle the throughput in 10bit 4:4:4 uncompressed. If they can't, this is all speculation.
    I would either go with the Eclipse Extreme or just the Multibridge . It, as well as the new HD exteme, have 3gb ability which will allow 4:4:4 dual link over 1 connection. Go to the site to get a better definition of how it works. I also like the KONA 3 card, if you are using a Mac.

Your original post stated that you wanted to edit uncompressed 10bit 4:4:4.
    Edius does not do that. That is why I stated it might be considered off topic.
    If you are Editing with Edius in 8bit uncompressed, then outputting to 10bit,
    The Edius HD setup would work for you. But for the price, there is newer technology out there for doing what you want to do.

In either situation, you will need some honkin raids to push this stuff around.
    I know, I usually edit with 8bit uncompressed from my Decklink card.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    by the way, will there be Edius products that will be able to edit and export in 10bit in the nere future.
    If not hardwere, then softwere ?
    and how a bout the dual link / 3 Gbit/s / HD-SDI ?

Mb
    Johannes
    Last edited by johannesj; 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM.

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Hi there Dave and thanks for the info.

I did check wikipedia for info and did see that:
    SMPTE 292M HD-SDI 720p, 1080i is 1.485 Gbit/s. 1.485/1.001 Gbit/s.
    so MB will do the capture.
    but:
    1. if i have HDBX1000 and capture the material from sony hdcam 750 in uncompressed with HD-SDI do i get the best picture quality from that material ? i think im right on that is 8bit.
    2. What hd raid settup will i need to use if i wana capture and edid online ? 4, 6 or 8 sata 300 drive raid-0 (Not Fibre channel) ?
    or
    3. do i need Fibre channel raid to have this working at all ?
    4. how much space does 1oh uncompressed HD using SMPTE 292M HD-SDI 1080i 1.485 Gbit/s 10bit from HDCAM take on harddisk ?

The system will be: HP-xw8600 dual Quad Core 3ghz Xeon, 4gb ram.

Thanks for all your help
    My best regard to you all
    Johannes

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    The camera should have HD-SDI (even if dual link if it supports 4:4:4 HDCAM SR) so you don't need an expensive deck to capture from. However on such an expensive camera, you will be wasting the camera head, unless it's a rental, you shouldn't care about it much.

And you are right you need HD Pro for dual link SDI, my mistake. It is only $200 more anyways.

I have a lowly Intensity Pro and the Black Magic 10 bit files work in EDIUS without a problem.

Dual Link is for 4:4:4 captures (it requires double the datarate of regular HD-SDI, so 2 BNC ports).

Some info to read up on:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCAM_SR#HDCAM_SR
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_SDI

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Thanks Anton

This show´s that sometimes it´s a good thing to do to sit down and try to think.
    :)
    Ill mail them and ask !!!!

My best
    Johannes

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    what do Sony recommend?

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    Hi there
    Thanks for all your help on this.

You are right the HDCAM SR requires a dual link HD-SDI.
    I think Decklink HD Extreme does not give me dual link, but the Decklink HD pro does, if i am right.

Sorry bout this, but i have question´s on an other project there ill be starting soon.
    That material is captured with sony´s hdcam 750 cameras.
    This is possible a stupid question, but do i need the HDCAM SR deck to capture the material in the best possible quality from those cameras ?
    Do i need dual link to do that ?

Sorry but usaly i just do the filming and ediding, not the transfere of the material.
    But now i am thinging of taking the transfere in my own hands for both online and offline ediding.
    It is kosting lot of time to get this service from somwere else.
    I just wana start the project and finish it in my own studio, all the way if i can.

Other wice i need to send the material cross the country, have it sent back for ofline ediding, go over there for an online work, collorcorrection and more.

Thanks so much for your time.

All my best
    Johannes

Leave a comment:

Working...
X