Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AJL14
    replied
    Steve, haven't yet tested the new Canons. I'm supposed to receive 2 to test out, but that probably won't happen for a couple of weeks. The main advantage to the SR-12 is the large HDD. Not too sure yet about the price of the same amount of memory with the Canon cards. Image-wise - I absolutely LOVE the Image Stabilization of the Canons - all of them - over any other brand, hands down!
    Will keep you informed - and thanks.
    Cheers,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• LV_DVC
    replied
    To avoid Vimeo dropping frames, try ExposureRoom.com.

Much more professional operation without all the social networking.

How do you like the SR12 compared to the Canon SD card camcorders?

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    SHARE Boomtown show....

Hi all. Just finished EDIUSing the entire 2008 SHARE Boomtown Show (3 dance numbers with multiple cameras edited with Multi-Cam settings) and posted it on Vimeo in HD. Sony HDR-SR12. Reduced from 1920x1080 to 1280x720P for webbing. Vimeo seems to convert to 24fps, but as websites go, seems to be the best quality going, even with it's shortcomings. God Bless Multi-Cam settings - and its flexibility ! ! ! ! !

http://www.vimeo.com/1301035

Cheers,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• drgagx
    replied
    Thank you for that explanation. My pc display will not, I am sure, display any difference. My hope is that my projector (Panasonic AX100) would be capable if the signal is transmitted via hdmi. Projection is my preferred means of watching my home brew dvds. I would also be tempted to set it up as an alternative to an output monitor if/when GV come out with a suitable card with hdmi in and out. I await Edius v5, and any matching hardware, with interest.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Drg....

'Morning DRG. I'm not sure it's that EDIUS cannot handle the xvColor, especially if the pix information is transfered by the HDMI connection. EDIUS doesn't do anything to alter the color information, unless you apply a color correction to the timeline. I think EDIUS probably passes the advanced or expanded color very well, it's just that most computer displays do not have the expanded color capabilities in their colorimetry envelope. Their colored pixels are not capable of displaying the extended colors. There are a number of new LCD TV sets coming out now that have that expanded color capability, which can handle HDMI-3, which is capable of transmitting xvColor.
    Have a great weekend,
    Cheers,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• drgagx
    replied
    Thank you very much for taking the trouble to do that test with xvColor. It seems that for consumers like me the jury is still out on the benefits and the ability of Edius to handle it.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Dave, Rusty & DRG....

Thanks Dave. Actually, if you look closely at the video, you'll discover what others have giggled about - and that is, I shot 3 rehearsals plus the real show. You can tell, because in one rehearsal there is NO orchestra at all - only playback. Then in the next two rehearsals there was an orchestra, but no one was dressed for the show. All casual! Then the show was full tilt. That being the case, I "operated" all 4 "cameras" - a feat difficult to do had I only had one performance and a desire to cover from 4 angles ! ! ! At least I couldn't blame anyone else for missing a shot!

Rusty - My wife is a long-standing member of SHARE, and all of our videos of the show (and the video I just posted on Vimeo which is a documentary of what SHARE really does in this world - called "For The Children" - take a gander when you get a moment) - are all part of the work we do for the charity - gratis! I shot "For the Children" on BetaCam, then edited on EDIUS as well. All of the videos you see were edited with EDIUS - going way back to one of the earlier versions. The new Dance numbers (I will post the entire show next week) were EDIUS multicam 4.61 - an aabsolutely invaluable addition to the EDIUS features. I synced all cameras by "first beat" soundtrack - and by viewing all 4 camera angles, had a fairly easy time of making choices. Just like when I was directing "live" TV - many years ago, with as many as 14 cameras for Wide World of Sports! And as far as Vimeo's ultra-compressing - not much we can do about it. NO ARTIFACTS in the original - or the Blu_Ray, I can assure you.

DRG - I did a little experimentation on the xvColor controls, and on EDIUS - standard 22" Samsung Monitor - I could tell no or little diffference. I say "little" because psychologically I may have "wanted" to see some difference. But blind switching between the two on the timeline proved the limit of my display - as Tony so wisely pointed out.

Thanks, everyone, for taking a look and the critiques, which are always valuable. Amazing what we can all accomplish with todays technologies compared to even 3 years ago!

Cheers and Happy 4th,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by drgagx View Post
    benfits of xvColor
    In my camera manual is stated that you'll need a xvColor capable device to display the wider color range, if the footage is being used for NONE capable xvColor devices it is recommended to switch this feature to OFF.

Not sure what "problems" or "issues" you get when you use it, but it can't be all that good, otherwise Sony wouldn't put it in print !

Leave a comment:

• drgagx
    replied
    Thanks for posting the results of your multicam Edius edit.

Any chance yet of the results of your investigation into the benfits of xvColor and how Edius handles it?

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
    Hope I've relayed some info that helps.
    Hi Alan, yes you did, decided to get a HC9, due to the backup factor, tape, old habbits die hard, washing out and focus hunting to be expected at this price.
    HDV for sure is more difficult to focus and to keep it focused compared to SD.

So much to learn, So little time.

Have yet to see your video, have some problems to get at the site.

Thanks 4 the reply .......

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    :~)

Alan,
    vimeo did NOT do your video justice! I downloaded the .mov and wow! I mean, in a small window it looks fine. But full screen, the black levels and fast movement have problems! (blockies and judders)

I highly recommend downloading to see what these spunky little cameras can do!

oh... and Multicam looks to be the ONLY way to get this one done! Thanks Edius.

Was your video part of the fund raiser? Really well done! :~)

SD... did you miss earlier posts?
    I liked the way the band changed clothes, went home, and came back for the end.
    Last edited by Rusty; 07-04-2008, 01:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Hey cool stuff Alan. Did you guys use any radios to communicate with each other or the camera operators just shot what they could?

Leave a comment:

• Jim N
    replied
    Alan,

The video coverage almost had as much energy as the dance. Multicam on Edius seems to have worked well for you. I really enjoyed the coverage, I felt like I was in the auditorium!

And by the way, congratulations to the people who participated and put this charity show on. When I see something like this I know there are still some things that are right in the world.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Pat....

Pat, I can't believe you are THAT observant. Keen eye, buddy!
    A

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Nice work Alan! Hard to believe it was not a one time dance shot with 4 cameras (except for the one shot with guys with different clothes ;-) )

Leave a comment:

Working...
X