X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vimeo Channel

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    How was your experience with AVCHD?

Vimeo is not the most user-friendly experience, but the most friendly-user one for sure. Be sure to see the HDR-SR12 channel, tons-o-fun!

Don't kill yourself to upload...
    We're Edius users... we know how to wait! :~)
    You'll need to scale to 1280x720 24p for Vimeo, I recommend Streamclip to convert to .mp3 audio to save space. :~(
    Rusty,
    the material posted on that Vimeo link are not anywhere as good as your "Water Works" video...
    Frankly I was not impressed at all with those postings on the SR12.

Comment

Originally posted by Deeter2 View Post
      Rusty,
      the material posted on that Vimeo link are not anywhere as good as your "Water Works" video...
      Frankly I was not impressed at all with those postings on the SR12.
      Thanks so much, glad you like the pump station. Went there last Sun. and the sunset is much farther North now, so no re-doing it.

Vimeo is all over the map for video quality and content, but it's a far superior experience than any other video site. (Unlike YouTube, you can flag inappropriate videos and down they come!)
      Rusty Rogers | Films
      >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
      >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
      Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Can the Blu-ray presets be used with Procoder Express? In previous dicussions I gathered they only work with the full version.

Regarding AVCHD cameras, I'm seeing some troubling user comments about workflow issues: the native footage is understandably difficult to edit and transcoding to HQ takes at least real time on powerful quad-core computers. Hence no workflow benefit compared to HDV and arguably a disadvantage compared to XDCAM-EX, unless you also transcode the XDCAM footage. There are some good things about AVCHD but mostly from a consumer perspective, not so much for formal video production.
        Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Well now I know how to use the AVCHD converter properly( !!!) it converts very fast on my quad core Q9450, 8G RAM Vista 64. I have converted several clips of about 1 hour 1920x1080 in about 45 mins. It had taken about 25 mins to upload to the PC using Sony Motion Browser. I have done this a number of times now and feel that 1 hour of AVCHD can be uploaded and converted in say 1 hour 15 min on average. Not really much different to setting up and capturing HDV tape from my FX1. Pictures match really well between the two as well. I would love a Sony AVCHD that is a little more Prosumer like the FX1 with more manual controls etc. The SR11 produces some really lovely pictures. You really need to see to understand.

Ron Evans
          Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Kevin...

Hi Kevin.
            You're absolutely correct. There's no arguing the fact that XDCAM is going to result in better photographic quality than any of the consumer cameras at this time - even the full HD AVCHD cameras at 17 Mbps (22 Mbps coming by fall). However, you are talking about a strictly consumer camera compared to at least a Prosumer - or even professional - camera design and performance. But no doubt - the little consumer babies are a mind-blow of quality for their size and cost, and are pretty darn close in quality considering. Not apples and oranges, per se, but certainly big apples and little apples!
            Have fun and
            Cheers,
            Alan
            Alan J. Levi
            Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
              However, you are talking about a strictly consumer camera compared to at least a Prosumer - or even professional - camera design and performance.
              The upcoming Panasonic HMC150 appears slated to offer professional features with the AVCHD recording format, so we'll see how well that works. What Panasonic really should do is put their AVC-intra codec in a camera in this price range, then AVC-based recording would be worth talking about. Otherwise AVCHD seems like a novelty given the time required to transcode it for editing plus back it up for archiving.
              Edius 6.5 on Lenovo W520 laptop: Intel Core i7-2720QM @2.2 GHz, Nvidia graphics card, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit. Canon Vixia HF-G10, three Sony HDV video cameras and one Canon 7D.

Comment

Kevin....

Kevin....The HMC150 supposedly only supports a max of 13 Mbps, which even though nearly double the "old" 7Mbps artifacts-laden AVCHD, is still 4Mbps shy of the Sony (and Canon), and in the fall Sony will up their Mbps rate to 22. But, we'll wait and see. 3 chips might make a difference in pix quality - we don't know yet about the compression!
                Alan
                Alan J. Levi
                Director

SYSTEM:AsRock Z490 Taichi MB, Intel i9-10850K CPU, 64 Gig Trident 3600 RAM, Corsair HX1000W PS, nVidia RTX 3070 Video, Corsair h115i Water CPU cooler, Asus BW16-B1HT BluRay DVD, Samsung 512GB SSD boot in Swapable Tray, 2 1TB Samsung SSD video files RAID 1, 4.5TB RAID 1 Outboard backups, Behringer 2000 Audio Fader/Controller, LG 27" 4K Monitor, 2 Asus 1080 monitors.

Comment

The HMC150 is the professional AVCHD that is due out in the fall. IT has the highest rate so far for AVCHD of 21 max at 24.
                  http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...02008010809224
                  Sony will surely counter with something maybe a replacement for the FX1/FX7.

Ron Evans
                  Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Ron....

Thanks Ron. My error! As stated in the most recent specs, you are absolutely correct: PH mode (average 21 Mbps/Max 24Mbps), HA mode (approx.17 Mbps), HG mode (approx.13 Mbps) and HE mode (approx. 6 Mbps). Thanks for the correction.
                    Cheers,
                    Alan
                    Alan J. Levi
                    Director

Comment

It seems that the forthcoming Panasonic HS-100 will still be at 17Mbps, not the 22Mbps of the HMC150 as I had hoped. Ease of use when editing AVCHD is, obviously, still an issue. My hope is that the next generation of Edius products will offer something to provide it.
                      DVC laptop: W870CU i7; 17.3" 1920x1080; 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA notebook drives; Edius 8.5WG; Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by AJL14 View Post
                        Thanks Ron. My error! As stated in the most recent specs, you are absolutely correct: PH mode (average 21 Mbps/Max 24Mbps), HA mode (approx.17 Mbps), HG mode (approx.13 Mbps) and HE mode (approx. 6 Mbps). Thanks for the correction.
                        Cheers,
                        Alan

Before I close this thread I can tell you I saw the Panasonic camera at Infocom and it was very nice. The picture quality next to HDV (Do not know from what camera) was pretty big!

It takes forever to transdcode though as this format was really never intended for editing.

I took several shots to HQ and there did not seem to be any quality hits. The trancode was about 2 - 2.5 to 1.

Now, with all that said lets try and keep this EDIUS related ok :)

Mike

Comment

Rusty, etc......

Edited with EDIUS set to the multi-cam mode, one of the Dance Numbers (there were 4 total) shot on the SR-12 and (4 separate shoots with one camera) is now posted in HD on Vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/1276176

Cheers,
                          Alan
                          Last edited by AJL14; 07-03-2008, 10:40 PM. Reason: Wrong web address
                          Alan J. Levi
                          Director

Comment

Nice work Alan! Hard to believe it was not a one time dance shot with 4 cameras (except for the one shot with guys with different clothes ;-) )

Comment

Pat....

Pat, I can't believe you are THAT observant. Keen eye, buddy!
                              A
                              Alan J. Levi
                              Director

Comment

Alan,

The video coverage almost had as much energy as the dance. Multicam on Edius seems to have worked well for you. I really enjoyed the coverage, I felt like I was in the auditorium!

And by the way, congratulations to the people who participated and put this charity show on. When I see something like this I know there are still some things that are right in the world.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                                X