Is this normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this normal?

While exporting a HDV timeline PCE. a file of over an hour takes almost 5 hours. Now with Encore it takes so long I can take a 1 week vacations and I'm sure when I'm back it's still not done. Over 7 hours and not even half the file has being transcoded.
    I'm about to hit the cancel button, but decided to ask first. This is not my first HDV proyect but all the rest was max 5 minute long so I'm mot sure if is normal or not. Another thing is tht I just got PC3 today and want to try the Bluray setting so Encore does not have to transcode it.
    My system is a Quad core 2.66, 4Gb Ram, 2 500 gb HHD.

Another thing that making me scratch my head is that all four cores are max out, up from 86 to 93%... and is slow as a turtle.

The file from Edius is a 1920x1080. So should I kill this operation right away or leave it? it may be done by maybe next 4th of July...

What are you transcoding the HDV file to? MPEG2? What are your parameters to ProCoder? Are you exporting from EDIUS timeline or outside EDIUS?
    TingSern
    --------------------------------------
    Edius 9.4 Pro, Lenovo P72 workstation laptop, 64GB RAM, Xeon CPU, Windows 10 Pro (64 bits), 2 x 2TB Samsung M2.NVME and 1 x 4TB Samsung SSD internal. Panasonic UX180 camera, Blackmagic 4K Pocket Cinema, Blackmagic Pocket Cinema

Comment

If your file is 1920 x 1080 it is not HDV. HDV is 1440 x 1080. Are you working with the correct presets?

Comment

Thanks guys for checking this out.
        Now thats a good point, please bright my road here.

The timeline is a 1440x1080, I export it with PC3 using the presets from Procoder page (1920x1080), should I had used the 1440x1080 instead?

Now what issue will I get (if any) by using this (1920x1080) file.

Thanks again.

Comment

Just a thought...

It sounds like your original footage is HDV (1440x1080) and you're using PC3 to up-rez to 1920x1080. A major task for any program. I'd expect very slow performance on any machine.

Can you use SpeedEncoder to create a HDV .m2t file from the timeline, then use PC3 to up-rez in the background while you continue working or overnight? You can also archive the .m2t to tape or disc for future work.
          Rusty Rogers | Films
          >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
          >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
          Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Question:: when you "up res" using procoder does the quality of the clip improve?
            Another thing I have always wondered about is when you have your project settings at say hdv and then you put a HD clip on the time line does Edius "down res" the clip on the fly? Likewise the opposite when the settings are HD 1920x1440 and you put a HDV or SD clips on the timeline are they "up resed".

Dumb question I know.

Ronnie
            Ronnie Martin
            Kato Video Productions
            main system: custom built by Edit HD Ultma 277,Intel (R) core (TM) i7 2600K cpu 3.40 GHz 3.40Ghz, 16GB ram, Windows 7, Intel HD (R) graphics 3000, NVIDA Gforce GT 440, C drive Samsung SSD 850 pro, video drive WD 3TB SATA, 2 LG Bluray drives, External WD SATA 2TB storage/backup drives in thermaltake Black device. edius 8.3 WG

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              It sounds like your original footage is HDV (1440x1080) and you're using PC3 to up-rez to 1920x1080. A major task for any program. I'd expect very slow performance on any machine.

Can you use SpeedEncoder to create a HDV .m2t file from the timeline, then use PC3 to up-rez in the background while you continue working or overnight? You can also archive the .m2t to tape or disc for future work.
              No wonder my PC was screaming... I'm encoding the timeline again, this time 1440x1080.

Comment

And you achieve nothing by up scaling to 1920 x 1080 unless you intend to use that footage in a full HD res production or composition.
                In simple terms "upscaling" only duplicates pixels or enlarges them. Neither outcome is desirable but sometimes necessary. Your best quality only ever comes with acquisition, not in post.
                Last edited by redgum; 06-29-2008, 02:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonnieMartin View Post
                  Question:: when you "up res" using procoder does the quality of the clip improve?
                  Another thing I have always wondered about is when you have your project settings at say hdv and then you put a HD clip on the time line does Edius "down res" the clip on the fly? Likewise the opposite when the settings are HD 1920x1440 and you put a HDV or SD clips on the timeline are they "up resed".

Dumb question I know.

Ronnie
                  Not that dumb...
                  I think Edius is geared for RT more than quality improvement. redgum is correct about the scaling clips to fit the project. A real benefit if you're on a deadline for airtime. It would be super-duper if Edius would be able to toggle the creation of "tweener" pixels to truly up-rez or scale for RT.
                  Rusty Rogers | Films
                  >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                  >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                  Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Working...
                  X