poor slow motion with 4.6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poor slow motion with 4.6

i have some footage that includes a number of tilts and pans that i need to slow down but all attempts to get smooth motion is not possible

i have tried all options as far as deinterlace, nearest neighor etc but none give me smooth slow motion

Play with the Motion Blur filter... 35% may be a good place to start.
    Rusty Rogers | Films
    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

have tried the motion blur but it does not help the lack of smoothness when slowing a pan ot tilt

i don't understand why the earlier versions had not probs with slow mo

do i need to upgrade to 4.61 to overcome this prob or maybe downgrade would the the answer

there must be other people with the same probs

also what is the difference between 4.6 pro and broadcast

Comment

EDIUS 4.61 (latest I think) slow mo to 20% / 40% and looks fine here.........
        Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
        Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

Using 4.61 I just did a job where I slowed a pan 50% and it was very good. That said, in general it seems that slo-mo for camera movements is often more of a problem than slo-mo of moving objects captured by a fixed position camera.
          Fred D
          Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

I find that a bit of experimentation with the rate setting can sometimes work. I usualy use either 50% or 30% but in some cases 70% or 15% might produce a better result - it seems to depend on the amount of movement within the clip as much as anything. The other day I managed to miss off the zero in the setting box and produced a beautifuly smooth 5% slomo. I've not noticed any difference between the slomo in v3 and v4.6

robo

Comment

Originally posted by foundy View Post
              i have tried all options as far as deinterlace, nearest neighor etc but none give me smooth slow motion
              What camera did you use?, Were you shooting progressive or interlaced? SD, HDV, or HD?

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Dwyer View Post
                That said, in general it seems that slo-mo for camera movements is often more of a problem than slo-mo of moving objects captured by a fixed position camera.
                I have always found this problem with Edius slow motion, regardless of version. I use AE CS3 for slow motion. It produces excellent results when you set for the highest quality setting. However, it is a dog to render. Also, it can't handle sudden light changes like a camera flash. When I do use slow motion in Edius, I use Soft Blur at about 5%. It softens the picture quite a bit, but it's a compromise I have to live with if I want to use slow motion in Edius.

Martin
                Windows 10 Pro. Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming mainboard, Intel i7-8700K processor, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Radeon R9 270 2GB DDR5 Graphics.
                Samsung SSD Drives for system and mixture of SSD and 7200 SATA for video storage.

Edius 9.50. Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k
                Dublin, Ireland. PAL.

Comment

yes guys thanks for all the suggestions but i am still struggling to produce any decent slowmo and funnily enough even though i hated the instability of prem 6.5 it did give very good slow as long as 'always deinterlace' was selected but now i love edius but can't believe that such a good piece of software is let down buy something so necessary in video editing

btw, i use the jvc pro hd 201e shooting in 720x50i mode

do you think an upgrade to 4.61 will help

Comment

Originally posted by iibw View Post
                    What camera did you use?, Were you shooting progressive or interlaced? SD, HDV, or HD?
                    jvc pro hd 201 pal interlaced @ 720x50i

Comment

do you think an upgrade to 4.61 will help
                      I seriously doubt it. Slow Motion quality hasn't been changed in Edius in any recent release.

Martin
                      Windows 10 Pro. Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Ultra Gaming mainboard, Intel i7-8700K processor, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM, Radeon R9 270 2GB DDR5 Graphics.
                      Samsung SSD Drives for system and mixture of SSD and 7200 SATA for video storage.

Edius 9.50. Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k
                      Dublin, Ireland. PAL.

Comment

help help with slow mo on pans and tilts

has anynody actually managed to get decent slowmo on pans and tilts

no matter what i try the pans and tilts are very poor

edius 4.6

Comment

has anynody actually managed to get decent slowmo on pans and tilts

no matter what i try the pans and tilts are very poor

edius 4.6
                          Read the 5th post in this thread.
                          Fred D
                          Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

This is actually one of the reasons I unistalled 4.61 and went back to 4.54... this was just one of the many problems I was experiencing with 4.6... I even found myself seriously considering a move back to my ancient N'sync Speedrazor :-)

Comment

jvc pro hd 201 pal interlaced @ 720x50i
                              Are you sure this is your setting? Not 720p (progressive) which is the native format of that JVC camera?

Comment

Working...
                              X