Mac Pro specification help requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geoff View Post
    Perhaps you will read my other post, but Edius NX is now working on my Mac!!!! It was an EX card problem.

Good luck with your system, it will fly!

Geoff
    Well, (touches wood) it appears to be up and running, and yes - it FLIES :). What a wonderful experience customising a Mac Pro - the build quality and ease of hardware addition is astounding. Quality oozes everywhere, even down to the spring loaded captive screws holding the cards.

The only downside is that I now know that Windows RAID drives are not accessible by MacOSX - a bit of shuffling via the windows partition will be required now and again.

I am, as ever, indebted for the help of others on this forum for taking their time to assist me - thank you again.
    Hedley Wright
    Partner - Brett Vale Studios

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
      I doubt Apple will release a new Mac Pro anytime soon. There was already an upgrade very recently to the Penryn architecture.

You will be fine with 2.8Ghz. I have the 3.2Ghz (check my specs) and it's nice. You will be fine editing m2t file with the 2.8. Save some money and get the 2.8 and upgrade your RAM to at least 4GB. Don't get hard drives from Apple, but rather buy your own (Maybe 2 x 1TB drives) and stick them in the Mac Pro and make a RAID under Windows.

Get the 8800GT instead of the ATI. Dont get the RAM from Apple either, get 2GB stock and get 4GB from otherworldcomputing.com

Also check these threads regarding the Mac Pro:

(This thread is about the last gen Mac Pro, but I have the new one)
      StormDave,

Has there been any more support for the 8800GT in Edius? I replaced my 8800GT with the ATI 2600 because the 8800 was so terrible.
      ---------------------------------------------------
      Edius 4.6 Broadcast, FCP Studio, MacPro 8 Core, (Currently using 8800GT) ATI 2600

Comment

8800GT works fine with EDIUS in my configuration...it's the 512MB version, not sure if that makes a difference.

Comment

Works just fine here as well
          Hedley Wright
          Partner - Brett Vale Studios

System: Mac Pro 2 x Quad-Core intel Xeon 6GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB, 2 BenQ FP937s 19" Wide Monitors, 200 Gb Bootcamp Window XP Pro partition, 550Gb OsX Leopard partition, RAID 0 Video drive 2 x 750Gb WD Caviar | Edius 5.11, NX Express

Comment

Working...
          X