6K Bitrate vs. 8K bitrate DVD's

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron Evans
    • May 2007

hi Barry. I had someone tell me his DVD was giving him some problems and then another person with the same event had the same problem. I checked my master and had problems too. Very worrying!!! So I managed to get the PC to read in the end at slow read and have now gone over all the DVD from about 8 years ago. This one batch seems to be the only problem but it has made me back up everything again and also keep copies of Video-TS on a big hard drive too!! Since TY have been available I have used those with no problems and since the price difference between TY and Ritek is negligible for a hobby like mine I now use TY exclusively. I use the 16x hub printable glossy Watershed ones.

Ron Evans
    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 16T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Cameras: GH5S, GH6, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
      Demystifier/Analogizer
      • Apr 2007

Burn speed still matters - so if you're doing anything for long-term storage or outside distribution, burn slower.

Comment

• Ron Evans
        • May 2007

The Ritek I used were 8 times burned at 4 times and the 16x I use now I burn at 8 times. Is that slow enough?

Ron Evans
        Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 16T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, Gigabyte 4070Ti 12G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 18

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
          Demystifier/Analogizer
          • Apr 2007

I generally burn at the slowest available speed, but that's just me being paranoid.

Comment

• Ron Evans
            • May 2007

I can't find it now but I read somewhere that the newer 16x discs may actually behave worse burned at a slower speed which is why I stay at 8 assuming half speed would give more time for the burn without over burning the dye and potentially causing other problems. Would be nice to have an expert give an answer to this issue. I expect it has a lot to do with the burner too. Those early discs of mine were burned with a Panasonic DVD-RAM burner and my newer discs are on LG burners, newer computer latest Nero and always with full verify.

Ron Evans
            Ron Evans

Comment

• GrassValley_BH
              Demystifier/Analogizer
              • Apr 2007

Half-speed is probably safest. I have older media and drives, so I tend to burn slow.

Comment

• STORMDAVE
                • May 2007

When DVD-R's started to hit the market, I always got Maxell and it said Made in Japan and I used to buy the 2x ones in bulk, those were great discs...now Maxell is bad and I don't know where they manufacture it that's why I stick with TY.

Companies like Ritek etc are a hit and miss. I stay away from Sony and Verbatim too...I only use those if I just need general storage or cheap copies of something. I don't want customers complaining to me about dissapearing video so I tell them to store the originals somewhere safe and just use the extra copies I gave them. I can't keep backups of so much work.\

PS. I burn 16x discs at 8x.

Comment

• shueardm
                  • May 2007

My old time favourite was Pioneer 4 X DVD-R, I miss them :) But TY are super.

Does anyone ever use the Gold Archival discs as a master and what's the opinion of them.
                  AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, RTX 3080, 64GB RAM, EDIUS X WG.

Comment

• antonsvideo
                    • May 2007

I tried a few of the TDK scratch and dust proof ones, you really can't scratch them and they repel dust

I have no idea if all this makes them last longer, we will see

I also tried the Verbatim Gold inkjet printable ones, we will see how long the last
                    Anton Strauss
                    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 64GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• biopic
                      • May 2007

I backup important stuff on Kodak gold discs. They are guaranteed for 100 years. If they fail I shall come back and haunt the company.
                      Andrew Pinder
                      www.chpv.co.uk
                      Edius 9 with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k; Windows 10 (64 bit Pro); Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro; i9-9900K CPU; 32GB RAM;
                      Asus GTX1060 graphics; RME Fireface800 audio; SATA RAID

Comment

• easy_edit
                        • May 2008

Some DVD players play maximum 7K bitrate...

Comment

Working...