Audio "Normalization"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audio "Normalization"

I have an upcoming project where the client says audio must be "normalized to 0db."

I don't think that this refers to the audio scale, but rather to a global setting in software (I could be wrong).

We are using Edius 4.6 Broadcast. It is such a big-footprint software package that it MUST be able to do such a thing, but I'll be dogged if I can find it to see if I'm set for 0db, or if I'm headed for trouble.

Or is this a Procoder issue?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Robert Chandler
    WAFB-TV News Operations
    Baton Rouge LA
    [email protected]

Normalised to 0dB means that the audio peaks at 0db rather than at some other level, -12dB being another common level.
    Any decent audio software should have a normalise function with the ability to choose the max level.
    System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
    System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

It's deriguer that all digital audio is normalized to 0 dBfs. This is quite different than analog audio, which is a different dB scale. In digital audio, the PPM signal should never exceed 0 dB or hard clipping will occur. Most hi end DAW will include a normalize function. I don't believe Edius has one. Look for a plugin to accomplish this function, or invest in something like Soundforge, which has a very nice normalizer.
      Chalchihuitl Productions
      Sony EX1-Canon 7D DSLR-Flash XDR
      HP8730w/HP8740w/Intel X48

Comment

Edius' built in audio filters does not include a Normalize Filter.

But Edius does have the capability to accept many "VST" filters.
        There are a many, many Normalize VST filters available on the internet - try a Google search and you will see this. Many are free and work fine within Edius ... some are problematic in Edius.

Since you appear to be working in the broadcast arena, I'd suggest that you purchase the new Blue Audio Filter pack that is built to plug into Edius.

Comment

Originally posted by LightPrism View Post
          Since you appear to be working in the broadcast arena, I'd suggest that you purchase the new Blue Audio Filter pack that is built to plug into Edius.
          Let me add that Digital Juice has a special with NewBlue AudioFX bundle for $149 (which is supposed to be 50% off)

Comment

remember that if all your audio files are Normalised to 0db then when you mix them on the timeline the overall mix will sound awful unless you adjust the volume of the files relative to each other so that the overall peak level of the finished audio is 0db, its a peak, not average.
            System 1 - Win7 64/Edius 5.51/Asus P8/8Gb RAM/RAID0/i7 2600K OC/nVidia Quadra 600
            System 2 - Win XP/Edius v4.61/Asus P5 DH Deluxe/4Gb RAM/RAID0/Quad Core 2.4Ghz Q6600/nVidia 9800GT 512Mb/NXHD + other stuff

Comment

Audio "Normalization"

I appreciate all the help...

For this initial test, we will peak audio normally (just reaching the yellow) and see how it opens on the receive end..

The human putting out the "parameters" info is more into sales than technical, and the information is suspect..

I find it interesting--given the wide sweep of the Edius software--that a seemingly standard feature like audio normalization is not part of the package..

Thanks to you all.
              Robert Chandler
              WAFB-TV News Operations
              Baton Rouge LA
              [email protected]

Comment

Let us not confuse "normalizing" with compressing. The only way to normalize an audio file is to scan it from start to finish and find the maximum amplitude. Then the volume of the whole file is increased such that the maximum amplitude becomes 0dB. This process cannot be done in real time, since you don't know what the maximum will be until you reach the end. Therefore normalizing cannot be accomplished with a VST plug-in - not even in Sound Forge, Wavelab or anything else - it has to be a separate 2-pass process.
                That said, it would be really good if there was some sort of "normalize audio" tick box added to the print-to-file/print-to-tape options in Edius.
                Andrew Pinder
                www.chpv.co.uk
                Edius 9 with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k; Windows 10 (64 bit Pro); Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro; i9-9900K CPU; 32GB RAM;
                Asus GTX1060 graphics; RME Fireface800 audio; SATA RAID

Comment

biopic..

you've never, obviously, used soundforge to normalize an audio file.
                  Chalchihuitl Productions
                  Sony EX1-Canon 7D DSLR-Flash XDR
                  HP8730w/HP8740w/Intel X48

Comment

biopic is on the right track...
                    SoundForge is two pass.

I like to isolate the dialog and use Levelator
                    Rusty Rogers | Films
                    >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
                    >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
                    Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Levelator it is. Since i found it (here, of course), I didn't even tried anything else by that matter.

Comment

Rusty's right that biopic is right.

SoundForge and other audio applications can normalize because they have "knowledge" of the entire audio stream.

EDIUS's plug-ins, on the other hand, receive only a stream of audio frames, so they only know the past, but not the future.

Or to put the scenario another way, can you Normalize a live source?

Comment

Working...
                        X