Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What reasonably priced video card for Edius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• megabit
    replied
    Could someone bear with me as an Edius newbee, and explain the idea of Xplode? I've only had to do with Edius itself :) TIA!

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    I have a 8800GT in my Mac Pro and EDIUS 4.61 works fine with it. No Xplode Pro RT, though.
    I tried that one, gave no probems with Edius BUT severely curtailed other programs like Boris, Blufftitler, Juicer and worst of all Sonicfire when used in HD.
    I would stick with the ATI cards. The FireGL I have does make some difference with Xplode and Xplode Pro and some of the above programs with the latest graphics drivers, but not worth the cost difference, but from the thread may have been worth while in the future for the shader requirements eluded to.
    Most of the problems seem to be related to MS and updates of Graphic card drivers, XP and Vista and the Graphics card manufacturers are following so it will be up to the programmers to build the video capability into their programs rather than relying on the capability of the Graphics card and drivers.
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• STORMDAVE
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim N View Post
    OK here are the NVIDIA models that support PSM 3 from their site

"NVIDIA offers a full line of products that support The Power of 3:
    Desktop GPUs
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 LE
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE

Jim
    Those are old. You can grab a newer 9800GTX for sub $300USD now, or get a 8800GT which are on sale right now.

I have a 8800GT in my Mac Pro and EDIUS 4.61 works fine with it. No Xplode Pro RT, though.

Leave a comment:

• megabit
    replied
    Claire,

Just to let you know that for the same reasons as you, I have just replaced my old XT1600XT ATI card with a HDCP-compatible model, the HD 3870 with 512 MB RAM; unfortunately in HD, I'g getting red line over effects in Edius timeline.

I'm seriously thinking about a mid-class Quadro (like the FX 1700); can anyone confirm this will give me RT effect playback?

Leave a comment:

• shueardm
    replied
    I take that as a indication of future requirements of EDIUS to perform certain functions.

Leave a comment:

• Khoi Pham
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_KH View Post
    Get a card that supports at least Pixel Shader Model 3.0, and has around 512MB of DDR3 VRAM.

Trust me.

You'll want one within a year.
    Darn, I just got a new computer with the Quadro FX 1500. What are you talking about KH? why do I want something different within a year?

Leave a comment:

• Jim N
    replied
    OK here are the NVIDIA models that support PSM 3 from their site

"NVIDIA offers a full line of products that support The Power of 3:
    Desktop GPUs
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
    NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6800 LE
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600
    NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE

Jim

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_KH
    replied
    Get a card that supports at least Pixel Shader Model 3.0, and has around 512MB of DDR3 VRAM.

Trust me.

You'll want one within a year.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Claire View Post
    Thanks guys,
    I should have mentioned I'm editing in HDV mostly, but rarely use effects so a Quadro would be a waste of money here.

However any card I get must be HDCP compatible, I use PowerDVD to preview my rendered/authored output, before burning to disk.

Jerry, that 2600 PRO 512 MB seems to fit the bill! I see it's only £33 here in the UK. (about 65 USD).

What about that irksome bug then when Edius freezes up while twiddling the color correction controls, or YUV curves? Seen this happen? I believe it is graphics card related so this would be my chance to do something about it.
    I have not seen that on any of my cards. Make sure the card is HDCP and also your monitors. That is a big one. That 2600xt is a Sapphire card. Nothing fancy and I do not know if it is HDCP capable.

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Originally posted by Alter Ego View Post
    Hi Claire,

I have been using the ATI "X" series dual DVI cards without a problem.

Tom (Cinestream forum)
    Tom, good to find you on here! been a long time (EditDV/Cinestream group)

Leave a comment:

• Claire
    replied
    Thanks guys,
    I should have mentioned I'm editing in HDV mostly, but rarely use effects so a Quadro would be a waste of money here.

However any card I get must be HDCP compatible, I use PowerDVD to preview my rendered/authored output, before burning to disk.

Jerry, that 2600 PRO 512 MB seems to fit the bill! I see it's only £33 here in the UK. (about 65 USD).

What about that irksome bug then when Edius freezes up while twiddling the color correction controls, or YUV curves? Seen this happen? I believe it is graphics card related so this would be my chance to do something about it.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by swsw1550 View Post
    Quadro FX 5500 or 5600 or even the 4600 FX
    I think 'reasonably priced' was the key wording here.
    I would recommend the Quadro FX 1500 or FX 1700 though.

Leave a comment:

• swsw1550
    replied
    Cards

Quadro FX 5500 or 5600 or even the 4600 FX

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by Claire View Post
    The 7600GS video card in my Edius computer has broken, argh!

This card is now discontinued!!!

What shall I do?

There are newer Nvidia cards but the Nvidia 8800 is reported to have unresolved issue with Edius which makes me unsure about the rest of the current Nvidia range.

How about the ATI cards? I have my eye on an Asustek Radeon 3650 512MB PCIE DDR3 Silent Dual DVI 725/1.

Anyone using one with Edius?
    Claire,
    My answer depends on if you are working in SD or HD. If you are still in SD, any card will work. The ATI renderer still works in SD with certain cards to give true Rt performance. That means it has a blue line above the effect and just does not play through without buffer prefill.
    If you are working in HD and intend to do full raster work, you will need at least 512mb on certain effects packages.
    I picked up an ATI 2600xt 512 for $76 from newegg.This will give true RT in SD, but red line above effect in HD. I have yet to see a card do RT in HD
    with a blue line above it. Somebody please prove me wrong!!!
    I have a PNY 8800gts 512 in my big system with no issues.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry
    replied
    Originally posted by PopEye View Post
    So I'm back with ATI (Sapphire HD 3870) and I am very happy. Works well with a host of 3d applications and games as well as being 100% RT with xplode. Rick
    You actually get the blue line above the effect in HD or does it just play through without stopping?
    If you do get the blue line, how about a couple of screen shots with your settings and timeline.
    Last edited by Jerry; 05-28-2008, 11:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X