Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What reasonably priced video card for Edius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Claire,

Just to let you know that for the same reasons as you, I have just replaced my old XT1600XT ATI card with a HDCP-compatible model, the HD 3870 with 512 MB RAM; unfortunately in HD, I'g getting red line over effects in Edius timeline.

I'm seriously thinking about a mid-class Quadro (like the FX 1700); can anyone confirm this will give me RT effect playback?
    Sony PMW-EX1 on a learning curve
    editing with Vegas Pro 8.0b, but considering Edius Broadcast
    QX6700 quad CPU, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 2xRAID0
    24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Originally posted by Jim N View Post
      OK here are the NVIDIA models that support PSM 3 from their site

"NVIDIA offers a full line of products that support The Power of 3:
      Desktop GPUs
      NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
      NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX
      NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 XT
      NVIDIA GeForce 6800 LE
      NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
      NVIDIA GeForce 6600
      NVIDIA GeForce 6600 LE

Jim
      Those are old. You can grab a newer 9800GTX for sub $300USD now, or get a 8800GT which are on sale right now.

I have a 8800GT in my Mac Pro and EDIUS 4.61 works fine with it. No Xplode Pro RT, though.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
        I have a 8800GT in my Mac Pro and EDIUS 4.61 works fine with it. No Xplode Pro RT, though.
        I tried that one, gave no probems with Edius BUT severely curtailed other programs like Boris, Blufftitler, Juicer and worst of all Sonicfire when used in HD.
        I would stick with the ATI cards. The FireGL I have does make some difference with Xplode and Xplode Pro and some of the above programs with the latest graphics drivers, but not worth the cost difference, but from the thread may have been worth while in the future for the shader requirements eluded to.
        Most of the problems seem to be related to MS and updates of Graphic card drivers, XP and Vista and the Graphics card manufacturers are following so it will be up to the programmers to build the video capability into their programs rather than relying on the capability of the Graphics card and drivers.
        Regards Barry
        Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
        GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
        Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
        Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Could someone bear with me as an Edius newbee, and explain the idea of Xplode? I've only had to do with Edius itself :) TIA!
          24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Originally posted by megabit View Post
            Claire,

Just to let you know that for the same reasons as you, I have just replaced my old XT1600XT ATI card with a HDCP-compatible model, the HD 3870 with 512 MB RAM; unfortunately in HD, I'g getting red line over effects in Edius timeline.

I'm seriously thinking about a mid-class Quadro (like the FX 1700); can anyone confirm this will give me RT effect playback?
            Piotr,

thanks for that info, if you see a red line then I assume by "effects" you are referring to some 3rd party effects and not the standard video effects that are built into Edius such as essential color correction, etc? They always seem to work in real time in HDV even with a basic video card and I would not want to lose this feature.
            Claire

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

Comment

Claire,

Yes - for example, the STEREOVISION CINEMA SUITE 2.0 presets that someone has posted in another thread here give me the red line.

The Edius System presets are fine - bluee line over them OK.
              24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Describe reasonable.
                After using the FX 1500, as suggested by some on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that $450 is reasonable for a card that is bullet-proof, designed for graphics not games, and plays well with Edius and other programs like After Effects. Sadly, many people go cheap, and then spend hour upon hour trying to get something to work. It makes no sense, especially if you value your time at $20 an hour and you spend a 10 hour day struggling with a video card...not to mention missing client deadlines, killing brain cells, or playing with some IRQ setting when you should be playing with your kid. I've done it all.

The question to ask is, "what works" not "how much".

jim
                Vista 64 * Asus P6* Intel i7 920 @ 2.67 GHz CPU * 12 gigs Corsair * Nvidia GTX 275 * WD 150 gig 10,000 rpm System drive * (2) Hitachi 750 gig Video drives * (2) WD 1 TB Video drives * HD Spark * Edius 6.02, Imaginate, Adobe AE, Photoshop, Illustrator

Comment

Could someone bear with me as an Edius newbee, and explain the idea of Xplode? I've only had to do with Edius itself :) TIA!
                  Xplode is a legacy 3D transition set that has been with Edius for so long that I think everyone has forgotten when it started, but it has passed its days and with Version 5 will probably cease to exist. I rarely use it but it is a good gauge of graphics performance and the cause of much angst for those who run into problems with it.
                  As you have not used Edius I can see why the question
                  Regards Barry
                  Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                  GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors

Comment

Originally posted by JimJulian View Post
                    Describe reasonable.
                    After using the FX 1500, as suggested by some on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that $450 is reasonable for a card that is bullet-proof, designed for graphics not games, and plays well with Edius and other programs like After Effects.
                    It should be added though, that those needing HDCP-compliancy and ability to playback Full HD BDs etc will require the 1700 version.
                    24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
                      Xplode is a legacy 3D transition set that has been with Edius for so long that I think everyone has forgotten when it started, but it has passed its days and with Version 5 will probably cease to exist. I rarely use it but it is a good gauge of graphics performance and the cause of much angst for those who run into problems with it.
                      As you have not used Edius I can see why the question
                      Regards Barry
                      Thanks Barry. Since I am realy considering switching from Vegas to Edius (mainly due to better RT playback of Full HD timeline), please enlighten me further: will I benefit from some of those HW solutions from Canopus? It's important to mention I don't need any capture functionality, as - having the EX1 camera - my workflow is totally file-based. So, just from the viewpoint of RT playback on my 50" Full HD plasma - is it worth it? And which one?
                      24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

The performance of Edius is completely related to the power of the processor, the more power the greater the RT performance.
                        The greatest benefit I find is when adding a transition or filter the result can be immediately seen on the monitor and played back without rendering. There are exceptions to that where 3rd party plug ins are concerned, some better than others but overall the work flow is fast and accurate.
                        Ref your EX1 I dont know what how Edius responds to the native files from the EX1 but for HDV converting to the HQ AVI makes so much difference even though my computer will handle native HDV, by encoding to HQ increases the RT with native filters etc
                        Hope that helps
                        Regards Barry

Comment

I'll double check within the next 24 hrs (I don't use xplode that often) but I'm 90% certain that yes it's 100% RT with HD footage (HQ codec)
                          Rick
                          Sail Fast, Live Slow

Comment

Originally posted by JimJulian View Post
                            Describe reasonable.
                            After using the FX 1500, as suggested by some on this forum, I've come to the conclusion that $450 is reasonable for a card that is bullet-proof, designed for graphics not games, and plays well with Edius and other programs like After Effects. Sadly, many people go cheap, and then spend hour upon hour trying to get something to work. It makes no sense, especially if you value your time at $20 an hour and you spend a 10 hour day struggling with a video card...not to mention missing client deadlines, killing brain cells, or playing with some IRQ setting when you should be playing with your kid. I've done it all.

The question to ask is, "what works" not "how much".

jim
                            I can say this that the Quadro FX1500 is not quite bullet-proof. It is a good card but at 256mb ram it will not work with full raster HD with Vitascene effects. In order to work in full raster 512mb or above is recommended by many effects creators.
                            Other than that it is a very good card. The FX1700, unless it has been resolved, had some memory issue within either Edius or XP.
                            My 8800GTS 512 does what the Quadro did and more.
                            Don't get me wrong, if you are using 1440x1080 files the 1500 is a great card.
                            Jerry
                            Six Gill DV
                            www.sgdvtutorials.com
                            If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                            http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                            Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluetongue View Post
                              The performance of Edius is completely related to the power of the processor, the more power the greater the RT performance.
                              The greatest benefit I find is when adding a transition or filter the result can be immediately seen on the monitor and played back without rendering. There are exceptions to that where 3rd party plug ins are concerned, some better than others but overall the work flow is fast and accurate.
                              Ref your EX1 I dont know what how Edius responds to the native files from the EX1 but for HDV converting to the HQ AVI makes so much difference even though my computer will handle native HDV, by encoding to HQ increases the RT with native filters etc
                              Hope that helps
                              Regards Barry
                              Actually, if you read the white paper on Edius and HQ files, and I would assume that you are talking HQ files, then you are only half right. The RT performance is based on CPU and Hard drive performance.

Playback without rendering is one thing, playback without having to render is another. As long as there are redlines above any given effect or file, you still have to render for final output.
                              I edit in full raster as opposed to 1440. I don't capture with Edius or the NX.
                              My files are either mjpeg or uncompressed. Should I need more horsepower I will convert to HQ.... but that is on rare occasions.
                              Jerry
                              Six Gill DV
                              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                              Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

It should be added though, that those needing HDCP-compliancy and ability to playback Full HD BDs etc will require the 1700 version.
                                I was able to playback Full HD BD on my 1500. No issues.
                                Not an accurate portrayal of what the disc will actually look like when played
                                on a desktop player to Plasma or LCD.
                                Jerry
                                Six Gill DV
                                www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                                X