Sony EX-1 Standard definition capture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    I am having a hard time trying to figure out why Sony made this camera with no real built in SD downconversion, I am also disappointed about the absence of the S-Video connector on all new Sony Pro/Broadcast cameras, I have an S-Video vision mixer from Roland for live mixes
    When I started looking at this and realized that there wasn't a downconversion technique for this camera it really put me off. Especially,
    with the issue of having to use virtual dub to make a final output.
    The camera has a firewire output so why not an sd downconvert from there as well as the SDI port.
    I would hope that Sony addresses this in the next version of this camera or
    GV is able to find a way to have PC3 handle the footage better so we don't have to resort to doing a virutal dub type of work around.
    I would be curious to see what the footage looked like with analog capture to either HD or SD for output to MPEGHD.
    If we are talking SD capture from this ultra sharp image, I would think that the analog capture might be more suited for the task as opposed to SDI.
    Then run it through PC3 and see what kind of an image you get.

It still is curious why this feature was left out.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I still don't understand why you want to capture SD. You're better off capturing HD, cutting HD, and then outputing SD. Any downconvert you do during capture will look very bad.
      Chalchihuitl Productions
      Sony EX1-Canon 7D DSLR-Flash XDR
      HP8730w/HP8740w/Intel X48

Comment

This topic seems to be a mystery with the EX-1 camera.

I don't read about poor SD from other HD/HDV cameras.

Is there something different with the EX-1's compression that make it difficult to extract a good SD image from the HD material?

All of that resolution should make a superb SD DVD image, but user reports seem to state the opposite.

Strange, but I hope they can work it out because DVD does not seem to be going anywhere.
        Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by cuervo View Post
          I still don't understand why you want to capture SD. You're better off capturing HD, cutting HD, and then outputing SD. Any downconvert you do during capture will look very bad.
          If you have a proven technique for reducing the jaggies and oversharpened images from the EX-1 on encoding to SD, you might want to share them with some of the other EX-1 editors.
          I capture and edit in HD(not from an EX-1) and output to SD DVD without any issues. However,
          this seems specific to the EX-1 and I would assume the EX-3 as well.
          Evidently, they are getting very poor SD from Edius to PC3 downconvert.
          If you could please post your workflow.
          Jerry
          Six Gill DV
          www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

Just download the Sony EX browser from the sony site then drag the file into your project.

Comment

Just to add:

The SD Component output from the EX1 is in fact very good, better than downconvertion using Edius, Procoder etc. The only pretty decent way available in software is to use Virtual Dub, there are many discussions on this forum about the VD workflow.

The simple fact is that the EX1 has 1920x1080 native sensors, higher rez than HDcam, DVCProHD cameras etc etc. So this is the first time Editors are experiencing this kind of resolution within their source files.

NLE's and processing software have not been designed to work with these types of camera, and fail very obviously. HDV cams such as the Z1 have proved tricky to downconvert, jaggies, etc, but the EX1 is just another leap in resolution, and everyone thought this would make better pictures - well the cameras do, but the downconverts don't.

If you wait a month or two, the Sony clip browser software update will arrive, including a downconvertion facility - Sony have recognised the fact that most people still deliver in SD and need to have their files in SD too - I wonder how good it will be?

Meanwhile, edit HD and VirtualDub it - it works.

Paul
              Edius Edits at: http://www.vimeo.com/user781619/videos

1) AMD 3900X 12 core 4.6Ghz 2) Asus X79 4930K 6 core @4.4GHz Water Cooled. 480GB REVO3x2 System drive, 4TB Raid 0, 4 TB E-Sata Raid 5, 32GB RAM, GTX1070Ti Decklink HD Extreme. 3X Sony AX53 Sony AX700 BMPCC 4K

http://indiestereographer.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

workflow works very well for me:
                http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ead.php?t=5141

I also think it's extremely critical NOT to shoot with any in-camera sharpening. This adds mosquito noise, as well as taking up more of the 35Mb/sec bandwidth, limiting overall image quality. Sharpening should not be added until the very last step, and then only after final compression has been applied.
                Chalchihuitl Productions
                Sony EX1-Canon 7D DSLR-Flash XDR
                HP8730w/HP8740w/Intel X48

Comment

I think I need to clarify what this thread is about the EX1 only plays SD from the Component out or SDI out Not fire wire so you cannot play it into edius. Converting HD to SD in procoder is crap!! Good news it the conversion to SD Made in the camera is Stunning!!! So you can copy the HD edit back to the Camera and play out the SD back to the Computer and make a DVD from that. You will need a SDI or component capture card to do this. I will let you know the results soon!!! i JUST NEED GOOD DVDs from this camera and Blue ray

Comment

Originally posted by Barry Wilkes View Post
                    I think I need to clarify what this thread is about the EX1 only plays SD from the Component out or SDI out Not fire wire so you cannot play it into edius. Converting HD to SD in procoder is crap!! Good news it the conversion to SD Made in the camera is Stunning!!! So you can copy the HD edit back to the Camera and play out the SD back to the Computer and make a DVD from that. You will need a SDI or component capture card to do this. I will let you know the results soon!!! i JUST NEED GOOD DVDs from this camera and Blue ray

Barry,
                    It just seems like a whole lot of extra work. I don't have any issues with converting HD to SD in procoder. But I do not use the EX1.
                    I also edit in full 1920x1080 within Edius. It is either mjpeg, uncompressed, or HQ files. I capture with an Intensity Pro card and input into Edius. Let me repeat that. I do not capture within Edius.
                    I output a final uncompressed HD master before authoring.
                    At that point, I make my Bluray and SD DVD files. I do not output to PC3 by way of the timeline.
                    I am pleased with the way both files look on my 3 different tv's
                    (Pioneer Elite 50, Samsung 32, Samsung 26).
                    Jerry
                    Six Gill DV
                    www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

Barry,

have you managed to test the capture card yet?

Your feedback will be appreciated

Comment

Waiting fo card to arrive !!! Cheers Barry

Comment

Update

Got the SDI Capture card done some quick tests and i think it may just be as good as i hoped !!! Will let you know in a few days.

Comment

Working...
                          X