Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm new to video editing and need advice on which system to go with and why.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new to video editing and need advice on which system to go with and why.

Hello everyone,

I am very new to video editing and have lots of questions. For starter, I have a Canon HF10 that records in the AVCHD format. The picture quality is very good (at least to me) and my current PC is just not able to do any editing with these files. I purchased a copy of Procoder 3 to convert the files into other formats with the intention of editing these files in either Vegas Pro 8 or Final Cut Pro. While doing my reseach on workstations, I called Grass Valley and after answering my Procoder 3 questions, they introduced me to the Grass Valley Ediius NX express hardware system.

Question #1: Who would you say the target customer is for Edius products, versus Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro?

Question #2: When it comes to the software interface and functionality, what are the advantages of going with Edius Pro 4.5 instead of going with Vegas video Pro 8, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro?

Question #3: I really want to be able to have a real-time preview of the 1920 x 1080 HD content I am editing on an external HD flat panel display. Assuming I am running a fast workstation (like a dual quad-core Intel system), what are your thoughts on going with a Vegas Pro 8 or Final Cut Pro running a Black Magic Intensity card (HDMI), versus the Edius Pro NX Express solution with it's real-time (component video out) card?

Question #4: Since the source material is AVCHD, but I have Procoder 3, what file format would be best to work with if I go with the Edius Pro 4.5 or if I go wth Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro?

Question #5: In your experience, what would be the MINIMUM processer, ram and hard drive recommendations to be able to do basic editing and rendering with the native file format you recommend from the previous question?

Question #6: Whether I go with a true PC workstation or a Mac Pro, is it worth the money to go all out and get a dual-quad core system and lots of ram? (I know that Grass Valley does not support MAC Pro computers)

Question #7: For those of you running Edius Pro 4.5 NX Express on a MAC Pro with boot camp, how many processors/cores and how much ram does Edius Pro 4.5 make use of? I ask because form what I've read on these forums, Windows XP only sees about 2 gigs of memory even if there is more on the MAC Pro.

Question #8: For those of you NOT running a MAC Pro, how many processors/cores are you running, what operating system are you running and why?

Question #9: What DVD authoring program are you using (or recommend) to create AVCHD discs, Blu-ray, or even HD-DVD discs? (yes, I know HD-DVD is dead)

Question #10: Since the Edius Pro 4.5 NX Express uses BNC connectors on the real-time component out card, can a BNC to RCA converter cable be used to pass the HD video out to a 1080p flat panel monitor that has RCA component inputs (but no BNC component inputs)?

Like I said before, I am new to video editing, but I'm willing to make the investment in a powerful new computer and a poweful editing system. I want a system that is friendly to use, is responsive while editing and offers practical render times. Lastly, I really want to be able to see a real-time preview of the HD 1920 x 1080 content I am editing on an external monitor, no matter what system I go with.

I know these are lots of questoins, but I really could use your expertise in making a solid decision on which system to go with. If you 'd like to add any additional recommendations, please share.

Thanks everyone.

Robert Sermeño
    Last edited by keyzone72; 05-17-2008, 08:05 PM.
    Robert Sermeño

I will answer Q10

you can use real BNC to BNC cable and then use BNC to RCA adaptor $2 at radio shack or Tandy etc

or you can use BNC to RCA cable if you can buy it long enough

I make my own BNC to BNC cables from proper RG59U shielded cable (available in 100m or 300" reels here)

Buy yourself a Crimp Tool and connectors and boots and Bob will be your uncle
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/e.../BNC-Tools.jpg
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

You need to talk to these guys. They have the answers and will help you.
      Fred D
      Win 7 Pro-64 bit, EDIUS Workgroup 8.5, Intel Ivy Bridge i5, ASUS P8Z77-V-LK, 8GB Kningston DDR3, Pioneer BDR-209UBK, EVGA NVIDEA GEForce GT630, Corsair TX750M 750w Power Supply, 4 WD Black HDD for 3.15TB, ACEDVIO, Spark HD, eSATA controller, ANTEC 300 case.

Comment

I think Fred is right.

I think it takes a long time when you are new to find out which system to choose.

I have been editing for some years now on different editing programs, and before I started to use Edius a few month back, I downloadet the trial version and played with it a lot before ordering the package.

My advice would be to talk to the videoguys and to download trialverisons og the different packages and simply try them out.

When new to a program, I think it is essential that you have a good community to go to when you are in trouble, and this one here sure is great! I have already had a lot of help on Edius from the people over here - and in my book it counts a lot in the whole picture.

/Ulf
        Best regards * Ulf * Denmark
        mail to me
        Main system: i7 3930K, 3.2 GHz @ 4.3 GHz, 32 GB RAM , 2 x WD 1TB Raid 0, 2 x 1 TB HDD, 1 x SSD boot, Nvidia GFX 570, Win 7 64.
        Second system: i7 970, 3.2 GHz, 24 GB RAM, Asus P6T, Samsung 840 Pro 120 GB systemdrive, 4 x WD 1TB in raid 5, 1 WD 500 GB for exports, Asus GTX 460 Win 7 64.
        Third system: Dell Precision M4600, i7 3.2 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro 2GB, 2 x SSD, win 7 64 Pro.

Edius 7.01 & 6.54 & - VisTitle 2

Comment

My opinion on some of your questions, bearing in mind that I have not yet made the change to AVCHD - tho I intend to when it has matured a little more:
          Q1 the primary focus is, probably, professional users for all of these suppliers; but they also are used by those, like me, who do this as a hobby for fun and interest.
          Q2 I only know the Edius interface. It is relatively easy to learn and I have found it to be very reliable. The feature set is not as comprehensive as the others - Vegas offers more built in audio, and, I believe, FCP and Adobe offer more effects.
          Q4 For satisfactory editing performance it is advisable to convert AVCHD to an internediate codec; within Edius this is the Canopus HQ codec.
          Q5 Go for the fastest processor you can find. Also bear in mind you will need big, fast (Sata) hard drives. My latest system was purchased with AVCHD in mind.
          DVC laptop: W870CU i7; 17.3" 1920x1080; 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA notebook drives; Edius 8.5WG; Windows 7.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Dwyer View Post
            You need to talk to these guys. They have the answers and will help you.
            They can't help you - they don't do Edius any more.
            Regards,
            Gavin

==============================
            i7-860 Quad-Core, ASUS P7P55D-E PRO, 4Gig Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600, ASUS ATi Sapphire Radeon HD 4850, VIA HD Onboard Audio, SonyDRU-840A, LG SuperMulti Blue - Blu-ray Rewriter GGW-H20L, Promise FastTrac TX4310 SATA RAID Card with 3x1TB Seagate SATA2 Raid5, Seagate SATA2 250Gig & Seagate SATA2 1TB, XPPro SP3, EDIUS HDSpark V5.12

Comment

My experience with AVCHD ( have SR7 and SR11) on a AMD dual core 4200X2 ( old now!!) is that I need a new computer!!! What ever you do with AVCHD requires changing the format if you want to view on SD equipment etc. If you convert to an intermediate like Canopus HQ it will take time, use disc space. On my old machine it takes maybe 6 times realtime and uses 4 to 6 times hard drive space. My preference at the moment for family videos is to edit native in Vegas 8 which will happily edit HDV and AVCHD on the timeline. The render time to MPEG2 for DVD is not much longer than conversion to HQ and then rendering to MPEG2 after edit and uses a lot less hard drive space. IF I just want cuts editing I stay with the Sony Browser software that comes with the Sony cameras that will produce an AVCHD disc or a SD DVD with simple menus and is a lot faster than the "Pro" NLE's!!! I think we are a generation away form AVCHD capable NLE's at the moment reminds me of HDV the first year. With fast Quad core PC's and NLE's moving to 64 bit like Vegas 64, hard drives like the VelociRaptor, later in the year things may change quite a bit in terms of performance. I have also used Elecard converter to convert to HDV that has been the fastest conversion to something I can edit native with on my present computer( took about 2.5 times realtime which is faster than my computer will convert to HQ) Edius will happily edit native HDV in multicam.

Ron Evans
              Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 16

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

Robert,

Give me a call and I will provide you a personal consultation.

508-740-6024
                George Dame
                Grass Valley / Canopus System Integrator - Nearly 13 Years
                Providing Systems, Onsite Delivery, Support & Training Services Nationwide
                Get Your Copy of The Edius 6 Comprehensive Tutorial by contacting me via PM, email or phone
                Invite us to your local video association for a full demonstration!
                www.editHD.com - 1-877-ieditDV

Comment

Originally posted by keyzone72 View Post
                  Hello everyone,

Question #1: Who would you say the target customer is for Edius products, versus Sony Vegas Pro 8, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere Pro?
                  Same target. Although it can be said more news gathering editing is done with GV and now Edius.

Question #2: When it comes to the software interface and functionality, what are the advantages of going with Edius Pro 4.5 instead of going with Vegas video Pro 8, Adobe Premiere Pro or Final Cut Pro?
                  Not enough room to discuss this here.

Question #6: Whether I go with a true PC workstation or a Mac Pro, is it worth the money to go all out and get a dual-quad core system and lots of ram? (I know that Grass Valley does not support MAC Pro computers)
                  It's ALWAYS best to get the fastest, most powerful computer you can afford when it comes to editing video.

Question #8: For those of you NOT running a MAC Pro, how many processors/cores are you running, what operating system are you running and why?
                  Quad, Windows 7-64 RC1 which seems REALLY good and stable. Not to mention MUCH faster than Vista was on the same box.

Question #9: What DVD authoring program are you using (or recommend) to create AVCHD discs, Blu-ray, or even HD-DVD discs? (yes, I know HD-DVD is dead)
                  Encore CS4

Comment

If you plan to edit with HD (1920x1080) then ... build the system like Anton (check his signature for the system spec).
                    Asus P5WDH Deluxe w/E6600 - 4GB Corsair - 8800GTS - 1TB & 1.5TB (2x750GB RAID 0) - Antec P180 + Trio 650W - XP Pro w/sp3 - NX PCIe w/Expansion Card - Edius 5.51
                    Asus P6T i7 920 @3.6 - 12GB Corsair Dominator - GTX275 - 1.5TB & 3TB (2x1.5TB RAID 0) for Video - Antec P183 + Corsair HX-750W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 - Firecoder Blu - PC3.05.91 - BDR-203 - TMW5 & TAW5
                    Asus P6T i7 930 - 12GB Corsair - GTX260 - 1TB & 1TB WD Black for Video - Antec P183 + TPQ-850W - Win7 - Edius 6.07 w/HD Spark - BDR-205

Comment

Q1. I would say Edius is targeted to windows users who want rock solid Professional Video editing software with real-time playback and monitoring. Premiere provides full frame playback, Vegas isn't really a solid professional choice in my opinion.

Q2. Within a windows platform your getting an easy solutions. Affordable real time performance with full frame playback. premiere is buggy as hell and old it does external monitoring but it very sloppy with editing HD, you really don't get good performance from it. Vegas is clunky since it started out as an audio editing solution. With a mac I cant vouch for performance but mac has integration down to an art.

Q3. I have two answers for this one, Again I cant speak for the mac side of the industry, but edius has HDMI solutions which provide full frame playback. IF this is your focus Edius/HDspark maybe a better choice because you will get full frame 1080p playback on your HDTV at an even cheaper price 800-900 bucks. With the other options, you may get the playback but you wont get the performance like you will from edius.

Q4. Not familiar with avchd but edius supports it and you can also convert to its less compressed Canopus HQ format for better real time performance.

Q5. Not familiar with AVCHD

Q6. With HD video working in a 64 bit environment (even if you are running 32 bit software) you can utilize more ram which allows you more freedom and better performance for compositing and doing complicated ram intensive tasks. Edius is software based so the better the system the better the performance. Quad cores are an affordable option so yeah going that route defiantly wont hurt. If you are going to go with Vista64 I would recommend at least 8 gigs of ram at 1066 or higher speed.

Q7. NOT A MAC USER

Q8. my specs are listed below I run a Quad Core Intel Q9400 it does me just fine with my 8 gigs of 1066DDR2 I can run After Effects and Edius at the same time without a noticeable performance lag. Its defiantly useful if you are in and out of software frequently.

Q9. I use Encore to burn Bluray and SD DVD's. Exporting in Edius is a little different but once you get it down working in Encore is just as easy as coming from Adobe Premier. I like it because of its integration with Photoshop and After Effects. The newest version of Edius includes the ability to go directly to disc.
                      Asus P5Q-LE, Intel Core2 Quad Q9400, 8Gb DDR2 1066, Windows 7 64-bit, Nvidia Geforce Fermi 465, 2x Acer 22 inch (X223w), 22 inch Vizio LEDTV HDSpark Running Edius 6.03

Comment

Working...
                      X