Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ron Evans
    replied
    I have an ART USB Phono Plus (http://www.artproaudio.com/products....cat=13&id=128) that I use on Video and Audio editing PC's since it is a simple matter of plugging in the front USB port with no drivers needed. It has phono preamp for interfacing with turntable to record vinyl records, line in / out, Toslink in/out and headphone amp with level control. I have this with my Behringer mixer for all audio. Takes power from USB port too. I use a Trendnet USB KVM.

Ron Evans

Leave a comment:

• skier-hughes
    replied
    I dot have any trouble with my KVM and Edius, but my KVM does stop Ulead Workshop 2 from working most times.

Leave a comment:

• virgil21
    replied
    Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
    ... the simple use of a KVM switch will stop it in its tracks.
    It might depend on the switch. I have used the MyHopper series of 2, 3 and now 4 port switches and never had any trouble. I have had horrible experieces with other brands and I had to send back the last Belkin one I tried - same with one other brand - can't remember its name. I got my last Rextron MyHopper from http://www.kvmswitchdirect.co.uk.

Leave a comment:

• Stereodesign
    replied
    simple use of a KVM switch will stop it in its tracks
    .... nice stable bit of coding then......

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    Well it would seem that in 4.6 as opposed to 3.6, the simple use of a KVM switch will stop it in its tracks.

Leave a comment:

• Stereodesign
    replied
    We can go round and round this all day, there has been no solution found that everyone who suffers this error can apply that cures it.

I had v 4.23 and could capture video fom any source, OHCI and nx card, for as long as I liked without ever getting this error. I updated to v4.5 and the error occurred, I tried all kinds of remedies, the UK Edius agent tried to help but then it all went quiet when they failed to come up with anything (they maintained it was just me suffering this despite me pointing them to this forum!). I had no changes in the hardware or software on the PC other than the Edius update, so it can't be the hardware.

Its very easy for software vendors to say "its something on the PC causing this" as PC's are complex and ultimately out of their control. I appreciate this, but when nothing has changed AT ALL except the update to a particular vendors software it drives you mad, its as if nobody is listening!

It is a bug in v4.5 and above that nobody can (or is willing in this release) fix.

I'm afraid that the options you have are:
    1. Ditch Edius in favour of another NLE - no likely after paying for Edius and the nx hardware.

2. Roll back to V4.2 - possible, but v4.5 does have some nice features

3. Put up with it and hope v5 cures it. - finger crossed!

As it stands it is incredibly annoying (just try capturing while a client is with you) and, IMO, will do much damage to Edius' reputation as a professional tool.

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    Originally posted by Angelo View Post
    II may look at a USB Audio solution. M-Audio Fast Track Pro has some nice specs with -100dB SNR. Has anyone used the M-Audio devices with Edius Pro4? I guess one issue with USB Audio would Latency, if low enough I guess it would be fine.

...Angelo
    Angelo
    Thanks for that
    The unit looks just like what I have been after for some time, love the S/N, pitty there are no agents here in Australia but I will look into if they can send me one, even the price is competitive
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    I have to agree I do miss the headphone jack. But if I need the headphone I just use one of the Line-Out to the headphones. The onboard audio on my MB lets me assign any of the analog ports to a Line-Out or Line-In.

I may look at a USB Audio solution. M-Audio Fast Track Pro has some nice specs with -100dB SNR. Has anyone used the M-Audio devices with Edius Pro4? I guess one issue with USB Audio would Latency, if low enough I guess it would be fine.

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 05-12-2008, 08:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    I use a separate sound card (Sound Blaster) due to the difference in Signal to Noise 65db on a SB card and 30-35db on the onboard sound card for when recording voice overs.
    It's the same for line in, mic in etc so unless you have a way of bringing a WAV file in without using the Sound card your S/N is terrible
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    I use SB for the convenience of having headphones on a front Bay. I have had a SB Audigy on my Storm system and NEVER HAD CAPTURING ISSUES. I do understand Anton's point regarding a different slot and will investigate this.

DD

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    I guess the nice thing about the sound blaster & bay is having a lot of audio IO ports.

I have a SB Audigy w/Bay that is on a non-editing PC. I recall many years ago that SB hardware/driver/software were resource hogs and caused problems with my editing systems. Since my P4 editing system I ONLY use the onboard audio and never had a problem with PCI Busy of Disk too Slow problems.

...Angelo

Leave a comment:

• Ron Evans
    replied
    Soundblaster cards have been a conflict problem since early days of IEEE1394 cards. I remember trying to get an early Pinnacle 300 going( 1996 I think) and never succeeded until I removed the soundblaster card replaced with an Aopen( there was no on board sound in those days!!) and things were then fine. Haven't used a Soundblaster since. Can't remember now which IRQ they grab and hang on to for too long but I know it was the same one that the Pinnacle and my Fast AVMaster wanted!!!!! At that time the IRQ's were hard assigned to connectors too so they all wanted to be in the same slot!!!! From then on I had one machine for audio and the other for video on a network. I would remove the Soundblaster ( and all its software)and see if you still have the problem. Why do you need a Soundblaster?

Ron Evans

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    can the soundblaster be moved to another slot?

on my previous supermicro PC, I tried adding an additional firewire card and then I got disk too slow error, so I moved the card to another slot and then it was happy

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
    could also be caused by a PCI card other than NX and extension board

do you have any cards inserted such as raid card or extra firewire card?
    SoundBlaster Card and Bay ...same as Storm E3.6 -no raid or extra firewire

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    Given that this has never been a problem with 3.* it is a bug.
    Remember the problems with 2.* losing audio after a dropped frame?

Odd why some people dont get it (or admit to it)?

I do have a network and I have no intention of disabling ANYTHING when this has not been a problem on 3.6......I also rebooted after the message 3 mins into capturing to an IDE drive and then started capturing to the root of the empty SATA drive and it stopped after 7 mins.......so no consistency. I will try it via 1394 and also to 3.6 on another system.....no the latter would be daft as 3.6 is Solid!!!

DD
    Last edited by DigitalDave; 05-11-2008, 02:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X