Disk too Slow - revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disk too Slow - revisited

Sigh. First time I use my new sytem in earnest for Capture (PAL DVCam) I got the message.
    This is an NX system with 4.61 and it happened when capturing to one of my older existing IDE drives and also to a new empty SATA . I have been through the "sticky and most do not apply. The "continue capture" was ticked.
    Have not had a chance to discuss with system integrator but......
    What Hardware settings might have been missed?
    Where can I download a suitable speed test?
    How prevelant is this?
    Does it happen only through NX or OHCI as well.
    I hgave Captured the same footage now on my Storm 3.61 system and it was OK

Any thoughts.

Thanks DD

The disk too slow is OR seems to be triggered by ANYTHING that is to say ANY event in the pc hardware or software that interrupts the capture process.

So

Anti virus software
    Winows update
    windows activation
    windows scheduled maintainance
    screen savers
    power managment of any kind
    any other automatic behind the scene processes
    always capture to a file on the root of the disk
    turn off any video card applications
    any dvd/cd burning software watch type mfolders or drop spots
    Network card hunting for connections - disable them
    disable any windows tool bar pop ups from programmes

Just about anything to cause an interruption in the capture process
    get the idea!

I have done this and with my build I have not had this error for some time but had it at first build and found it stopped after killing all power save modes in xp

Hope that helps - cath
    Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
    Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

Is this unique to 4.6 Builds or earlier, when I had stayed anyway from 4.anything?

Also is it NX related or Just Edius?

DD

Comment

Dave,

I've not found out what causes mine.

I've had the problem since 4.52.

It doesn't appear to be actually that the disc is to slow.

I've had it capturing to ide/sata/raid drives.
        I've had it to quite full/half full and empty drives
        I've had it capturing analogue or digital
        I've had it right at the beginning, so it doesn't even capture, so it wasn't something interupting it, but actally preventing it from capturing.

My video pc doesn't connect to net, doesn't have network, anti-virus etc. No screensavers blah di blah.

Sometimes it works great for days, weeks then it just happens.

One thing I have found is that I just reboot and it works fine, so I assume it is something interfering which gets turned off on a reboot, but what??? I really just dont have a clue.

Main problem is if you set a 3 hour vhs tape to capture and come back 3 hours later to find it stopped after two mins gggrrrrrrrrrr.

Never tried using OHCI.

Graham
        www.myvideoproblems.com
        Microsoft MVP in Digital Media

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2

Comment

could also be caused by a PCI card other than NX and extension board

do you have any cards inserted such as raid card or extra firewire card?
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

I have creative sound blaster card.

Only thing for me would be to un-install it, remove it and capture and see if I ever get it.

And/Or

Swap it into other pci slots, think I have one or two others, and see if that helps, but as I get it so seldom, I really can't be bothered, as the testing could take weeks/months to complete.

I didn't have it when I used premiere with storm, or edius 1.1 with my nxe.
            www.myvideoproblems.com
            Microsoft MVP in Digital Media

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2

Comment

Given that this has never been a problem with 3.* it is a bug.
              Remember the problems with 2.* losing audio after a dropped frame?

Odd why some people dont get it (or admit to it)?

I do have a network and I have no intention of disabling ANYTHING when this has not been a problem on 3.6......I also rebooted after the message 3 mins into capturing to an IDE drive and then started capturing to the root of the empty SATA drive and it stopped after 7 mins.......so no consistency. I will try it via 1394 and also to 3.6 on another system.....no the latter would be daft as 3.6 is Solid!!!

DD
              Last edited by DigitalDave; 05-11-2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                could also be caused by a PCI card other than NX and extension board

do you have any cards inserted such as raid card or extra firewire card?
                SoundBlaster Card and Bay ...same as Storm E3.6 -no raid or extra firewire

Comment

can the soundblaster be moved to another slot?

on my previous supermicro PC, I tried adding an additional firewire card and then I got disk too slow error, so I moved the card to another slot and then it was happy
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Soundblaster cards have been a conflict problem since early days of IEEE1394 cards. I remember trying to get an early Pinnacle 300 going( 1996 I think) and never succeeded until I removed the soundblaster card replaced with an Aopen( there was no on board sound in those days!!) and things were then fine. Haven't used a Soundblaster since. Can't remember now which IRQ they grab and hang on to for too long but I know it was the same one that the Pinnacle and my Fast AVMaster wanted!!!!! At that time the IRQ's were hard assigned to connectors too so they all wanted to be in the same slot!!!! From then on I had one machine for audio and the other for video on a network. I would remove the Soundblaster ( and all its software)and see if you still have the problem. Why do you need a Soundblaster?

Ron Evans
                    Ron Evans

Threadripper 1920 stock clock 3.7, Gigabyte Designare X399 MB, 32G G.Skill 3200CL14, 500G M.2 NVME OS, 500G EVO 850 temp. 1T EVO 850 render, 6T Source, 2 x 1T NVME, MSI 1080Ti 11G , EVGA 850 G2, LG BLuray Burner, BM IP4K, WIN10 Pro, Shuttle Pro2

ASUS PB328 monitor, BenQ BL2711U 4K preview monitor, EDIUS X, 9.5 WG, Vegas 18, Resolve Studio 17

Cameras: GH5S, GH5, FDR-AX100, FDR-AX53, DJI OSMO Pocket, Atomos Ninja V x 2

Comment

I guess the nice thing about the sound blaster & bay is having a lot of audio IO ports.

I have a SB Audigy w/Bay that is on a non-editing PC. I recall many years ago that SB hardware/driver/software were resource hogs and caused problems with my editing systems. Since my P4 editing system I ONLY use the onboard audio and never had a problem with PCI Busy of Disk too Slow problems.

...Angelo
                      Canopus/GV: DVStorm2 w/component-out board, ADVC300, Edius 4.61, ProCoder 3.05, Imaginate2
                      System: MSI B75A-G43 (v2.0), i7-3770K, 4GB, HD6850, Pyro1394 pci-e, 6 Disks 2.4TB non-raid, Win7-32bit, Dell 24" & 19" LCD

Comment

I use SB for the convenience of having headphones on a front Bay. I have had a SB Audigy on my Storm system and NEVER HAD CAPTURING ISSUES. I do understand Anton's point regarding a different slot and will investigate this.

DD

Comment

I use a separate sound card (Sound Blaster) due to the difference in Signal to Noise 65db on a SB card and 30-35db on the onboard sound card for when recording voice overs.
                          It's the same for line in, mic in etc so unless you have a way of bringing a WAV file in without using the Sound card your S/N is terrible
                          Regards Barry
                          Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                          GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                          Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                          Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

I have to agree I do miss the headphone jack. But if I need the headphone I just use one of the Line-Out to the headphones. The onboard audio on my MB lets me assign any of the analog ports to a Line-Out or Line-In.

I may look at a USB Audio solution. M-Audio Fast Track Pro has some nice specs with -100dB SNR. Has anyone used the M-Audio devices with Edius Pro4? I guess one issue with USB Audio would Latency, if low enough I guess it would be fine.

...Angelo
                            Last edited by Angelo; 05-12-2008, 09:57 AM.
                            Canopus/GV: DVStorm2 w/component-out board, ADVC300, Edius 4.61, ProCoder 3.05, Imaginate2
                            System: MSI B75A-G43 (v2.0), i7-3770K, 4GB, HD6850, Pyro1394 pci-e, 6 Disks 2.4TB non-raid, Win7-32bit, Dell 24" & 19" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Angelo View Post
                              II may look at a USB Audio solution. M-Audio Fast Track Pro has some nice specs with -100dB SNR. Has anyone used the M-Audio devices with Edius Pro4? I guess one issue with USB Audio would Latency, if low enough I guess it would be fine.

...Angelo
                              Angelo
                              Thanks for that
                              The unit looks just like what I have been after for some time, love the S/N, pitty there are no agents here in Australia but I will look into if they can send me one, even the price is competitive
                              Regards Barry
                              Win 10HP, EDIUS WG9.4, HD Spark, Boris RED 5, VMW6, Authorworks 6, Bluff Titler, VisTitler 2.8, NEAT 3/4, Mercalli 2/4, Vitascene, Izotope RX6 Plugin, NewBlue, Trend Micro AV
                              GB GA-X58A-UD3R MB, i7 [email protected], 12G 1600mhz Mem, Samsung EVO-250G SSD, 3x2T RAID, GTX 970W OC, 2x24 inch LG Monitors
                              Canon XH-A1/ Canon HF-G30, GoPro Hero3 Black, Edit @1920 50p HQ preset

https://vimeo.com/user2157719/videos
                              Laptop ASUS G752VT-GC060T Win 10HP, Edius WG8.53 Samsung M2 SSD 256G+1Tb HD,

Comment

Working...
                              X