• Show
Clear All

• Ludde
    replied
    Thanks for your answers, I will try them out

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    maybe the dropouts are not over both fields, they may only affect the upper or lower field, so you could try remove one or the other with the old movie filter

it works great on Betacam SP dropouts because the drum has 2 heads, one records upper field and one lower, it is unlikely that both heads are dirty at the same time

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    If the dropouts aren't being caused by physical damage/loss on the tape itself, then if you're lucky, you can capture the same segment and have different dropout artifacts.

If that's the case, you can get two or more frames that can be re-integrated together to form a whole frame. It's terribly time-consuming though.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Hey Ludde,

Try one more thing before giving up. The guys have all had the correct suggestions: playback with the same camera, and since it's digital and not analog - no TBC will help! Try one more thing - it can't hurt. Sometimes I have found the tape is OK, but the heads of the playback (camera) device are not as clean as they could be, thereby sometimes causing dropouts. This happens in both analog and digital. Try getting a really good quality head cleaner and cleaning your heads TWICE. Don't overdue it, but some of them are slightly abrasive and may take some life off the heads, but if your careful they make work miracles. If you can find a liquid cleaner - all the better. Give it a go, and good luck.
    Cheers,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Ludde
    replied
    Yes, I am playing back/capture with the camera it was redorded on....don´t think there is much more to do, I have to go artistic :)

Leave a comment:

• biopic
    replied
    Are you playing back the tape on the same machine (camera) that it was recorded on? If not, give that a try. It is just possible that the problem is a transport alignment one

Leave a comment:

• Blast1
    replied
    He, it is HDV on mini-DV tapes....hmmmm, ok
    Best cure for that is a two cam shoot even if one is only a static wide shot.

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_MD
    replied
    Originally posted by Ludde View Post

Getting creative is about the only fix.

I hope the drop outs were not to big! :)

Mike

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    sorry, no TBC will fix that

Leave a comment:

• Ludde
    replied

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Sounds nice with a TBC with dropout compensator,
    it depends on what tape you used, analogue or digital

if analogue, a TBC can help

if digital, sorry, there is no help, welcome to the wonderful and perfect world of digital :)

Leave a comment:

• Ludde
    replied
    Sounds nice with a TBC with dropout compensator,

Leave a comment:

• Angelo
    replied
    I have got some tapes with dropouts, I just wonder how you handle droputs ?
    Thanks
    With drop-outs or poor video quality on "needed" scenes that are just unfixable, "jazzing-up" is needed to bring life back to that scene. Using your "artistic" talent and checking out some music videos for example may give to some ideas with video effects, different sound tracks and/or mixing in photos stills.

Just some ideas...

...Angelo
    Last edited by Angelo; 05-09-2008, 06:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AJL14
    replied
    Rental.....

Hey Ludde,
    If you don't have too many tapes, and you want to transfer them all at the same time, then you might want to contact a professional camera/etc. rental house and see if you can rent a TBC (time base corrrector) from them which has a DOC (dropout compensator) built in. Most of these were analog, however - and I don't know what kind of tapes you're talking about. If you can find one, they would probably rent for $25-$35/day. The DOC's can sometimes automatically replace a great deal of the missing frame's information. Worth a try.
    Good luck,
    Alan

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Not much you can do. Lost data is just that. :~<

If it HDV (mpg2) the loss can be substantial. If it's DV it may only be one frame and you can patch with a still image from a surrounding frame.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X