Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mediaworx
    replied
    For the simpler timelines I'll use single track, while for something more complex I'll go with A/B. Thats whats great about Edius, you can use both methods in the same project with the multiple sequences feature.

Leave a comment:

• plasma_video
    replied
    How true Dave. That ability to transition between clips within a PIP block on one track AND transition to a block on the second track with it's own transitions is truly wonderful. Not to mention transitions between clips in one PIP on one track, and transitions between clips in another track with PIP in the original track.

Then of course you can nest this sequence in another sequence and PIP it over ANOTHER track which transitions to another sequence which is a PIP in another track, which . . . . which . . . . . which . . . . .

For cuts and fades editing of a single piece of footage, I use the convenience of the single track edit, but for most other things that involve multi-camera, or intermingling other footage and/or stills, I always use A/B style.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    Like many I cut my teeth A/B and still predominately prefer it as it is more logical particularly if there is a lot going on (multi layers) but I also love the ability to use both techniques together and in particular, link a number of clips with dissolves within the same PIP (a feature that many who dont grasp it hate)
    DD
    Last edited by DigitalDave; 01-15-2010, 07:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    Originally posted by GrassValley_CP View Post
    But a LOT of the NLE world is still geared/focused on A/B editing. How many times do we get questions like "how many layers/tracks can you edit in realtime?" I get that one every day and twice on Sunday. It makes me wonder just how many users of other NLEs and just NLE users in general do what. It would make an interesting study.

I couldn't agree more that single track editing is so much easier and easier to wrap your mind around, especially when dealing with transitions.
    Sigh -I think you have missed the point. An NLE can still have single track but Multi Layers - it simply refers to how and where transitions are applied.

DD

Leave a comment:

• mike0130
    replied
    [QUOTE=chec;99496]I am migrating from Premiere 6.5
    [QUOTE]

WOW! Wecome to 21st century... Premiere 6.5 was my first love...

Leave a comment:

• jaegersing
    replied
    Originally posted by mattie View Post
    turn off 'EXTEND VIDEO' for transitions - I think from memory its the 1st tick box in the application prefs
    Thanks, will give that a try!

Richard

Leave a comment:

• rob stowell
    replied
    I mostly don't use AB, though there are always times when using a second track is handy. Recently started to use it more, but only because I've been doing a fair bit of two-camera recording (and of course when compositing -that doesn't count!)
    But I've hired three casual editors- on both avids and edius- and I've noticed that 2 of them always do AB and 1 never ever does. I think it's a style you either fall into, or don't.
    When I started on Premiere (1999), it pushed you towards this style- with transitions over-lapping- but you could opt for a single video track. So I started out that way, and found moving to single-track on edit* a little strange at first- then natural, and when I went back to using premiere, I was using a single track almost all the time.

Leave a comment:

• mattie
    replied
    Originally posted by jaegersing View Post
    I've never been able to get the hang of single track. I found that adjusting the transition length would often bring back the junk that I had carefully trimmed off the end of a clip. How to stop that from happening?

Richard
    turn off 'EXTEND VIDEO' for transitions - I think from memory its the 1st tick box in the application prefs

Leave a comment:

• jaegersing
    replied
    I've never been able to get the hang of single track. I found that adjusting the transition length would often bring back the junk that I had carefully trimmed off the end of a clip. How to stop that from happening?

Richard

Leave a comment:

• plasma_video
    replied
    I guess I'm still old school and prefer A/B, but I definitely like the flexibility of mixing A/B and single track. That's one of the things I definitely love about Edius - that flexibility to mix styles and to nest sequences as A/B or single track.

Leave a comment:

• pjsssss
    replied
    Originally posted by chec View Post
    I just got this software and am migrating from Premiere 6.5

How/what menu do I use to enable A/B editing in version 5?

Thanks, [email protected]
    There is no menu or anything different that you have to do. Simply place one clip on one video track and another clip on another video track. You can dissolve between the 2 if you like.

Leave a comment:

• chec
    replied
    I just got this software and am migrating from Premiere 6.5

How/what menu do I use to enable A/B editing in version 5?

Thanks, [email protected]

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    I like AB type editing, it is so easy to fine tune multi layer projects after the basic edit is done
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/a...ualmonitor.jpg

Leave a comment:

• muleferg
    replied
    Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
    Most, if not all, NLE's have moved away from A/B editing into single track editing. It is much better in my opinion and I could never go back.

You could do A/B editing in EDIUS, but you're better off doing everything on a single track and if you need to add in b-roll (even with transitions, you can use the keyer track to add transitions) just use a V or AV track above the single track of the main edited project.

This is my choice.
    Mule Ferguson

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_CP
    replied
    But a LOT of the NLE world is still geared/focused on A/B editing. How many times do we get questions like "how many layers/tracks can you edit in realtime?" I get that one every day and twice on Sunday. It makes me wonder just how many users of other NLEs and just NLE users in general do what. It would make an interesting study.

I couldn't agree more that single track editing is so much easier and easier to wrap your mind around, especially when dealing with transitions.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X