H.264 Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H.264 Export

I love the Canopus HQ codec and when I'm editing, I end up with files in that format. I need to export them to H.264 for web use. I know that it is possible to do this from Edius by going to Procoder, choosing Generic Target> Quicktime Export and then selecting H.264 - but a 3min piece is showing 3-4 hours to export. It uses 100 passes to do it!

I have quicktime Pro which can export H.264 files in a fraction of the time, but does not like Canopus HQ. I also struggle with the lossless codecs including the Quicktime animation which seem to crash. Any suggestions to ease my workflow?

Many thanks.
    Joe Shaw
    Freelance Director/Editor

Originally posted by jshaw300 View Post
    Any suggestions to ease my workflow?
    Yes -- give Procoder a chance to finish.

It won't make 100 passes, that's just an overly pessimistic guestimate. Procoder doesn't know how many passes QuickTime will ultimately make, and the 3-4 hour export duration is based on 100 passes. In practice it will only take five or six passes, the last of which is substantially faster than the previous ones.

Comment

Ah...

Thanks for that!
      Joe Shaw

Comment

100 passes? Not sure that H264 is even capable of that.

Export your 3 minute piece to uncompressed AVI and use QTPro to export to H264.

Comment

Thanks, but THoff was quite correct. Procoder does 5-6 passes then it's done. Saves me an extra step in my workflow.
          Joe Shaw

Comment

Working...
          X