X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blast1
    replied
    "eSATA" is not the same as "SATA"
    For all practical purposes it is, you can use SATA to eSATA connection changers with no adverse effect, they make rear brackets for computer slots with eSATA external connections and internal SATA cabling which will allow you to use internal SATA connections on the MoBo if you have open connectors, there is no difference in speed from either connection

Leave a comment:

• vienna1944er
    replied
    hmmmmm....945 have "eSATA" .... ??? or "SATA" only ???

to remember: "eSATA" is not the same as "SATA"
    ..... eSATA have other, different electrical bus-specifications as SATA...
    look at this topic's:
    http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ighlight=esata
    http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/fo...ighlight=esata

friendly greetings from the "inhouse-librarian" ....... old (but not dead) Hans

Leave a comment:

• fukly
    replied
    wow usb 3.0?? but do i need to upgrade my pc? coz i think it has sata only.
    mine is intel 945

Leave a comment:

• John_Glantz
    replied
    If uou can wait until next year you can use USB 3.0 4.8Gb/sec that's right 10 times the speed of 2.0! otherwise go with eSATA

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    Have a look at the tests done with the drive connected via esata and you will see around 60 to 70 upto 80! mb sec depending upon which drive. and enclosure setup you use. bytes and bits.................dont get confused

Leave a comment:

• vienna1944er
    replied
    eSATA 3Gb/s....... this is the > max. theoretically baud rate from the interface<

with one hard disk alone ..... it is the baud rate from the disk the "limiter"
    good 7200-SATA II disk ( with perpendicular recording technology) ~ 100MB/sec

Source: Sustained data transfer rate OD (Mbytes/sec max) 105 http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/s...100468393e.pdf

to run more as the ~ 100MB/sec over the interface needs:
    more than one hard disk on the same >eSATA connector<..... like "special external Raid-case" or
    "special external JBOD-case" .....(if your Sata-controller can handke "JBOD")

JOBOD = Just a Bunch Of Disks

friendly greetings from the "inhouse-librarian" ....... old (but not dead) Hans

Leave a comment:

• fukly
    replied
    tx so much guys...i'll take eSATA then..but how big is the transfer rate really? it says 3Gb/s what it really means?

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    ANTEC mx1 external esata and (USB if you need backwards connectivity!)

and you can insert your own hdd - 1TB SATA 2 SEAGATE ES DRIVE!

So good quality drive and a decent enclosure

O and its active cooling is not too noisey, infact I can hear the drive more than the fan!

Leave a comment:

• cuervo
    replied
    eSATA /USB 2.0

Leave a comment:

• vienna1944er
    replied
    external case with eSATA + USB2.0

so you have both .... max speed with eSATA, similar to int. SATA-drive
    and with USB2.0 compatibility to all (older) PC\notebook without eSATA interface

in the external case assembling self the hard disk, so you have the full influence for the quality from the hard disk

the most combinations have older model from hard disk ... they have a sound of "clearance sale" ....

friendly greetings from europe\austria\vienna .... old (but not dead) Hans ;-)

Leave a comment:

• Bluetongue
    replied
    I use a Western digital MYBOOK 2 Tb drive on Firewire 800 which reqires an extra card capable of IEEE 800 and the transfer rate is 50Mb/s, hope this helps
    Regards Barry

Leave a comment:

• johannesj
    replied
    for external storage i only use esata.

Leave a comment:

• fukly
    started a topic USB 2.0 eSATA or iee1394??

USB 2.0 eSATA or iee1394??

hi guys...need info on my mobile external storage...
    i often copy data of my edius project between editing computers..around150 gig transfer...so which one should i choose if i wanna buy 1 more unit of external hd case...the one with iee1394 or eSATA external jack?..tx so much for the help.
    i heard about the transfer rate issue..but 3 gb/s is that realy true?..so 150gb means i only need 50 seconds? or it means something else.
Working...
X