XDR Flash by Convergent Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XDR Flash by Convergent Design

Does Edius 4.61 currently support (or plan to support) any of the recording formats of the XDR Flash Recorder?

http://convergent-design.com/

Originally posted by LightPrism View Post
    Does Edius 4.61 currently support (or plan to support) any of the recording formats of the XDR Flash Recorder?

http://convergent-design.com/
    The unit I saw at NAB was just a fancy box. Nothing that worked.
    At this point, it is a great concept. So far it is vapor ware. Evidently,
    they were in a rush just to get the fancy box to NAB.
    I don't see why Edius would not support the formats. the 'I' frame format will result in an excellent editing environment. An HDMI version was also mentioned to be in the works.
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I have been foloowing the develpoment of this product over at DVinfo.net.

And I have to say that lost some respect for the operation with the development time.

They have been posting about this unit for 9 months and they still have not shown any footage to show the advantage of a higher bitrate. And the box turned out to be rather large compared to the initial dimensions.

I realize this things are difficult to develop, but I think we often hear about things a little too early in the product cycle on the internet.

The idea only works for me if you purchase the unit before you would buy expensive memory for a new camera, but I like the concept of high bitrate, 4:2:2 color space recording.
      Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

They have been posting about this unit for 9 months and they still have not shown any footage to show the advantage of a higher bitrate. And the box turned out to be rather large compared to the initial dimensions.

Large is an understatement. From the PDF file they had available it gave me the impression that it could be mounted on the back of a camera.
        When you see this thing is looks as if you would have to mount it on a seperate stand.
        Hopefully, another company will pick up on the idea and run with it.
        They were even talking that the uncompressed 10 bit would be delayed for a firmware update later this year.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, Corsair H110, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, HD Spark, Intensity Shuttle, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Benq 27 and Hanns-G 28 monitors, CC 2019, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

It is a shame, but I think the idea has to come from a third party though.

The major camera makers will be hesitant to impact their more expensive cameras by putting this on lower level offerings.

Especially as HD has closed the acceptable image quality gap.
          Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

Folks:

Think you may want to reconsider the XDR Flash unit:

1. While the size of the box grew somewhat from plans (due to XLR audio inputs/outputs and the addition of 2 more CF card slots for a total of 4 now), it is still easily mountable to a camera and comes with a mulitple mounting option plate built in for mounting onto a) the H1 rear bracket b) standard full size batteries like Aaton c) tripod.

When I picked up the unit at NAB I was very suprised by it's very light weight - about 1 pound.

When you compare the XDR size, wt, and low power consumption to the other units recording at these quality formats, the XDR is smaller, lighter, and the lowest power consumer by far.

2. The cost of storage in standard Compact Flash Cards available from many manufactures (non-proprietery) vs. P2 and SXS cards is an absolute no-brainer.

3. As for the idea that the XDR is not a real product, I think you may be suprised when it is shipping in May or June.

4. As for comparison samples of what it shoots, I direct you back to their Convergent-Designs.com website where they have posted blowups of comparisons of the various formats (HDV, DVCProHD 100Mbps4:2:2, MPEG2 50 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP 8-bit (Flash XDR), Uncompressed 4:2:2 8-Bit Image.
            Be sure to read the Word Doc that details the path to the samples posted. These samples were just posted sometime today.

5. Convergent-Design has a good rep. I am pretty confident that this is not the usual vapor-ware that we all get tired of hearing about but never seeing.

Back on topic - is there any firm info on the Edius support for any of the formats (besides obvious standard HDV)?
            Last edited by LightPrism; 04-23-2008, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LightPrism View Post
              Folks:

Think you may want to reconsider the XDR Flash unit:

1. While the size of the box grew somewhat from plans (due to XLR audio inputs/outputs and the addition of 2 more CF card slots for a total of 4 now), it is still easily mountable to a camera and comes with a mulitple mounting option plate built in for mounting onto a) the H1 rear bracket b) standard full size batteries like Aaton c) tripod.

When I picked up the unit at NAB I was very suprised by it's very light weight - about 1 pound.

When you compare the XDR size, wt, and low power consumption to the other units recording at these quality formats, the XDR is smaller, lighter, and the lowest power consumer by far.

2. The cost of storage in standard Compact Flash Cards available from many manufactures (non-proprietery) vs. P2 and SXS cards is an absolute no-brainer.

3. As for the idea that the XDR is not a real product, I think you may be suprised when it is shipping in May or June.

4. As for comparison samples of what it shoots, I direct you back to their Convergent-Designs.com website where they have post blowups of comparisons of the various formats (HDV, DVCProHD 100Mbps4:2:2, MPEG2 50 Mbps 4:2:2 Long-GOP 8-bit (Flash XDR), Uncompressed 4:2:2 8-Bit Image.
              Be sure to read the Word Doc that details the path to the samples posted. These samples were just posted sometime today.

5. Convergent-Design has a good rep. I am pretty confident that this is not the usual vapor-ware that we all get tired of hearing about but never seeing.

Back on topic - is there any firm info on the Edius support for any of the formats (besides obvious standard HDV)?
              As I said, I don't see any reason why Edius will not support the above listed
              formats.
              Also, if you picked up the unit at the Canon booth and it was light, well,
              It was also empty. Mounting that on the back of a Z1 or XH-A1 would be ridiculous. Also, the only way to come in to that unit with those 2 cameras would be by way of analog. It would be nice to have a firewire input, but I guess this is just for the big wigs!
              I know convergent design makes great products. However, you are only as good as your last project. They have certainly stretched this one out!
              The 4:2:2 10bit uncompressed is an OPTIONAL upgrade. Come on!!!
              Jerry
              Six Gill DV
              www.sgdvtutorials.com

Vistitle YouTube Channel

Comment

One other good indicator that the XDR Flash Recorder is the real deal is that it was given a "Pick Hit" award by Broadcast Engineering and a "Vidy" award by Videography.

Comment

I still like P2 :)
                  Yes it's very expensive, but you buy it once and it's in camera.

Comment

Unit weighs about 1 pound ... isn't that about what a Firestore weighs?

Yep - it's definitely made for cameras with HD-SDI out.

Canon XLH1 & new H1s, HXG1, Sony EX. And of course the other high-end full size HD cams.

Until we know what the 10bit option costs, I'll reserve judgement.

Not sure what that would gain us as we have the H1 and the G1 which, although they are claimed to be 10bit output on the HD-SDI terminal, 2 of the 10 bits are actually no data :>{

However the Sony EX is reported to be real 10bit out of the HD-SDI.

Comment

At risk of sounding like a cheer leader, here is more info re: benefits of this new Compact Flash recorder, and more detailed info on the specific codec that I am hoping for comfirmation on Edius' ability to handle on the timeline.

"Tapeless Workflow Update
                      We are working with all the major NLE manufacturers to support seamless video file transfers. As you may know, Apple announced native support for the Sony 50Mbps 422 CODEC (the same one used in Flash XDR) at NAB. We expect similar announcements from other NLE manufacturers in the near future. We anticipate that 100Mbps support will follow quickly after the 50 Mbps has been released (it’s the same CODEC, just higher bit-rate)."

And offloading cost comparisons to P2 card readers or other high format VTR decks:

"We have found your next generation HD deck! It is four of the Lexar UDMA Compact Flash readers daisy-chained onto a single Firewire-800 bus. This new HD Deck requires no external power, (other than Firewire bus power) it is super light weight (under 1 lb), very fast ( >40 Mbytes/sec or 3X to 6X download rates) and costs under US $250 (for 4 readers). Welcome to the world of solid-state recording using consumer memory cards!"

Both quotes are from a press release today by Convergent Designs' Mike Schell.

Comment

Just fyi - EDIUS can already import and edit native 422 50mbit XDCAM. :)

(export support will be in the next major version)

Comment

Thanks much Kenneally.

That's cool. Edius is already capable of importing some of these files and working with them on a timeline.

Just what I wanted to hear... Jerry was right with his assumption.

Comment

Working...
                          X