Weird Speed Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Speed Issue

Edius is incapable of generating a still in a bitmap type format (such as TGA, etc.) where the brightness/look-of-the-image is IDENTICAL to an adjacent HQ clip when that still is used on the timeline abutting the original HQ clip. This was confirmed by others in a thread long ago and Brandon gave me the only viable solution which is to render a single frame HQ file of the desired still area and then adjust the speed of that still HQ clip to be as long as desired.

This produces an identical still and works well (although it's a bit of a hassle to have to set IN and OUT points, render, adjust speed settings, etc. before being able to place/adjust the still clip on the timeline. It would be far better if GV simply made a function where the user could save an 'HQ-Still' in one easy step and then drag the IN/OUT of the still clip without the need for the speed settings hassle... but I digress).

But my current problem is this. Normally, this one-frame HQ method works flawlessly for me. I render the HQ clip, set the speed to something like .11, set de-interlace to NONE and then adjust this clip on the timeline.

But for some reason, I have just rendered an HQ one-frame clip, and when I go to set the speed, the clips instantly becomes half-res. If I set the speed back to 100%... the clip is full-res again. Anything less than 100% and the clip drops to half-res. It's like the clip is being de-interlaced even though I have set de-interlace to NONE.

Is this a known issue I've missed with 4.61? I should note that this is an older project that has been opened in 4.61.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
    Sincerely,

Mike Truly
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

Another tidbit on this.

When I take a one-frame HQ clip and I put it on the timeline and set the speed to be 25% (with de-interlace on NONE)... I now have a 4 frame clip on the timeline. This is as desired.

But when I then scroll through and examine that clip... the 1st frame is half-res, the 2nd frame is full-res, the 3rd frame is half-res and the 4th frame is half-res.

One of the fixes of 4.61 had to do with a negative speed... I wonder if the Speed function has been wacked in some way?

Thanks!
    Sincerely,

Mike Truly
    Truly Media
    www.trulymedia.com

System1: Edius 7.41|Storm Mobile|Dual Xeon 3.1 (20 cores w HT OFF)|128GB RAM|Dual 512 SSDs|7TB RAID5|Dual Quadro5000s|Win7_64

System2: EdiusNX+Exp|Edius 6.03|Procoder3|XP32|Dual Xeon 3.6|4GB RAM|U320 RAID0 15K

Comment

Editing HDV 1440 X 1080i and getting grabs from time line to use right next to HQ clip and last frame and still are identical in every way? I have not tryed in SD and its 50i

Are you using sd footage?
      Asus P5K64WS, Intel Core 2 Quad QX6850 Extreme CPU, Saphire HD 3850 512mb graphics, WDraptor160 OS, Highpoint Rocket raid 2310 4 x 500gig Seagate sata 2 se drives in raid 0, NXe and Edius 5.51 Imaginate 2.
      Procoder 3.06 and various Prodad add-ons

Comment

Have you tried making 1 frame 1% speed?
        Rusty Rogers | Films
        >TYAN S7025 - 32GB RAM, 2 x Xeon X5690's, 4 x 10k video HD's, Win10 x64, BM DecklinkHD, nVidia TITAN, 12TB DroboPro w/iSCISI connection
        >RAZER BLADE - QHD+ - 16GB RAM, i7-6700HQ Quad, 512GB SSD, Win10 x64, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

An inglorious peace is better than a dishonorable war.
        Twain - "Glances at History" 1906

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Truly View Post
          It would be far better if GV simply made a function where the user could save an 'HQ-Still' in one easy step and then drag the IN/OUT of the still clip without the need for the speed settings hassle... but I digress).
          Thanks!
          I did that 15 years ago with Matrox Digisuite and Speed Razor, export 1 frame to matrox avi and drag it back to timeline, it would automatically be the duration set by still duration, in my case 4 seconds, I was then able to stretch it to any duration
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks for the ideas folks. I should have given a bit more information.

Using the 'render HQ single frame' method is required because using the bitmap render method produces bitmaps with a slight difference (best described as a slight change in brightness) when the still is used directly abutting the original HQ clip. This was confirmed long ago and the 'render HQ single frame' method has worked flawlessly for me in the past.

This particular project is D1 SD res. It is computer animation that is rendered as progressive (no fields).

I have tried many speed settings such as 1%, 25%, 50%, etc. and each is producing the same result. Normally, I always use .11% (Edius refuses to take a .1% for some reason but takes a .11% just fine).

Tommorrow I will do some more testing on other res projects such as 720p to see if it's working there and perhaps is related to loading this older SD project in 4.61.

Thanks!
            Sincerely,

Mike Truly
            Truly Media
            www.trulymedia.com

Comment

I have tested a 720p project and in that, I can render a one-frame HQ clip and then adjust the Speed and it does NOT make the clip appear half-res.

But the SD project does have the problem with Speed. Any Speed other than 100% results in a half-res image. The attached images are rendered stills that show what appears as the result of various Speed settings. The first shows the one-frame HQ clip at 100% speed... the image is full res. The second shows the one-frame HQ clip at 1% speed... the image is half res.

This is on a 720x486 SD project. Can someone test and see if they get similar results on a similar project?

Thanks!
              Attached Files
              Sincerely,

Mike Truly
              Truly Media
              www.trulymedia.com

Comment

ONe other thing to note. If I take the one-frame HQ clip and set the speed to something other than 100%... I get a half-res image. But as I scroll through that speed-adjusted clip, the visual result is NOT constant. It changes as I scroll through that clip.

For example, as I scroll through the beginning of the clip... it is half-res. As I get to about the 25% point of the clip, the image looks as though it is dissolving to something closer to full-res. As I get to about the 50% point, it dissolves back to half-res and stays like that until the end of the clip. This is with only this single clip on the timeline... nothing else influencing anything in any way.

Weird.

Thanks!
                Sincerely,

Mike Truly
                Truly Media
                www.trulymedia.com

Comment

can you make available 1 frame of the problem avi so I can apply slomo to it and see for myself
                  Anton Strauss
                  Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Anton,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to this.

Attached is a one-frame HQ clip. In an SD 720x486 project, when Speed is set to anything other than 100%... I get a half-res image. 100% gives a full-res image.

(I just tested again in another area of the timeline rendering a one-frame HQ clip and settings the Speed... same result).

Thanks!
                    Attached Files
                    Sincerely,

Mike Truly
                    Truly Media
                    www.trulymedia.com

Comment

Working...
                    X