No announcement yet.

Need help on a DV question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used a DSR25, the TC options are inside the menu. DSR11 also has this feature...

Comment

Dave is correct I think all the dvcam machines drs 11 up have the ability to accept incoming time code.
      Very easy. Menu tc to external.

Steve
      Steve
      EDIUS Trainer, Grass Cutter Gold
      A proud EDIUS EDITOR
      For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Steve are you sure you were able to export to DVCAM tape with TC options, then re-capture the tape and have the scenes split in EDIUS or SCLive?

Comment

Ussually I capture to one file. But lets try this put 1 sec of black between the clips .
          Black does not have orginal time code. so it will constitute as a tc break.
          Now in the splitting options select tc break.

I will try this here and let you know.
          BTW export has to be source tc. To be precise go to playback in settings and put the output timecode to Source time code.

I will let you know how this goes in a few minutes. Decks are being used can you try it?

Steve
          Last edited by SRsupport; 04-18-2008, 07:22 PM.
          Steve
          A proud EDIUS EDITOR
          For more information on the Grass Cutter program please visit: http://www.grass-cutters.net

Comment

Update:

Scene splitting works! You have to enable "When the recorded time data changes" under the divide files option in EDIUS. Leave everything else off (Or only leave Timecode break on too if you plan to have different time code as well).

So Anton, I think you didn't enable this option in the first place. If you record with "free run" enabled, you shouldn't need to use the time option as free run recorded footage always has different timecode after each shot and does not follow through the previous shot.

HPX500 here we come :)
            Last edited by STORMDAVE; 04-19-2008, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Update #2:

DV mode works as well! No need for DVCAM. Under the DSR11 menu, I enabled DVCAM mode, then chose external TC...went back and changed REC mode to DV. I dumped back clips from the EDIUS timeline (Making sure I am using clip TC) to DVCAM tape and recorded as DV, and then recaptured and all clips were divided correctly. I overlayed them on top of the original clips and there is zero difference in quality and cut points!

Also SCLive is working perfectly with this test tape. It divided everything in correct order!

Great to see EDIUS handles such a task with ease...not sure any NLE would do this with ease or at all.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                Update:

Scene splitting works! You have to enable "When the recorded time data changes" under the divide files option in EDIUS. Leave everything else off (Or only leave Timecode break on too if you plan to have different time code as well).

So Anton, I think you didn't enable this option in the first place. If you record with "free run" enabled, you shouldn't need to use the time option as free run recorded footage always has different timecode after each shot and does not follow through the previous shot.

HPX500 here we come :)
                I had "When the recorded time data changes" selected and it did not work

the reason it did not work is because my camera is not set to free run TC, meaning there is no change in timecode that edius can detect at scene changes
                Anton Strauss
                Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Try the black in between. This will generate a timecode break because the black does not have original timecode.
                  Steve
                  A proud EDIUS EDITOR

Comment

I will do just that, thanks
                    Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Anton when you record to DVCAM/DV, the hour/sec/date is recorded to the stream as well as the TC. We don't use Free Run either, but the time second changes, so this is when it comes in handy as each shot has it's own time/date stamp. When you record time stamped material back to tape, the date/time is retained, so when you recapture, it splits the clips as it would if you were capturing from the original tape. I tried this 3 times in a row with different footage, works everytime. DSR25 should work as good as the DSR11. Checking the properties of the files captured back from the second generation tape, the rec date and time are the same as the one from the tape.

Uncheck everything except the last item in divide files. Hopefully your cameras are setup correctly for the time/date.

Also try to capture with SCLive.

Comment

Hi Dave

I have everything set as you say and it does not work

however it works if I leave a frame of black in between each clip on timeline

however, these black frames are also captured

maybe the SP broadcast works different to NX?
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

btw, where do you see the date time stamp info in your case?

in my case I only see date and time in hours and minutes, but no seconds
                          (Alt+Enter, video tab, near top)
                          Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                            btw, where do you see the date time stamp info in your case?

in my case I only see date and time in hours and minutes, but no seconds
                            (Alt+Enter, video tab, near top)
                            G'day Anton
                            For me with DVCAM, camera menu set to Data Code, you will get all the info you need in the clip properties of a captured clip using Edius with split at record timecode etc set in your capture preferences.

Gives you the time you stopped to go to the loo, and i think which one that was and where...........
                            peterC
                            ---------------------
                            Edius 3 v3.62 beta / DVRexRT cards
                            (Please don't throw stones, it works!)
                            Edius 9 v3

Comment

G'day Dave.
                              Anton when you record to DVCAM/DV, the hour/sec/date is recorded to the stream as well as the TC. We don't use Free Run either, but the time second changes, so this is when it comes in handy as each shot has it's own time/date stamp. When you record time stamped material back to tape, the date/time is retained, so when you recapture, it splits the clips as it would if you were capturing from the original tape. I tried this 3 times in a row with different footage, works everytime. DSR25 should work as good as the DSR11. Checking the properties of the files captured back from the second generation tape, the rec date and time are the same as the one from the tape.

Uncheck everything except the last item in divide files. Hopefully your cameras are setup correctly for the time/date.
                              I am having a little trouble following you on this, since it's been one for me in tape archive consolidation too.

I don't fully understand how you are getting a totally cloned set of data as per original with dubbing? (I am referring to DVCAM to DVCAM in this instance)

Not sure what you are trying to say with
                              but the time second changes, so this is when it comes in handy as each shot has it's own time/date stamp.
                              Can you elaborate?

There are other methods for this as I see it, and not necessarily like it.
                              1 record to disc as data file - blu ray or other. 'Other' requires some work though for data limits caveat. It's very cheap cost for cost/GB down here

2 Leave on HDDs. Not as cheap and storage a problem - room, safety. But, the workflow is done once. At digitising.
                              peterC
                              ---------------------
                              Edius 9 v3

Comment

Originally posted by SRsupport View Post
                                Dave it works.
                                We use it often.
                                But our source is dvcam not dvcpro.

Steve
                                Steve, are you saying you get a totally identically cloned DVCAM dub?
                                If so, please pass the process to do this on to us. I for one would like to have it.
                                peterC
                                ---------------------
                                Edius 9 v3

Comment

Working...
                                X