Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disappointing scrubbing of MP4's with new desktop build, also QuickSync Questions ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disappointing scrubbing of MP4's with new desktop build, also QuickSync Questions ...

Hi. I put together a new system* recently and was excited to finally install and use Edius X (and 9 for that matter) after using Edius 7 on my old system for a quite some time. And while overall pretty happy with the new system and Edius versions, I am disappointed Edius's handling of MP4's (AVC/H.264) when scrubbing the timeline. Is it just perhaps the nature of MP4's and is unavoidable? (Other than rendering all to HQX of course.)

Basically, it handles no better than Edius 7 on my antiquated system honestly. While playback itself is just fine, if I scrub an MP4 on the timeline or in the playback window, it is very erratic/jumpy. It is less noticeable on a longer clip that is zoomed out, although I believe this is simply because you are scanning by WAY more frames per movement than zoomed-in and/or on a shorter clip. When zoomed in on a clip I can see it is going ~15-20 frames between updating the image onscreen. Again, maybe this is just because of the way AVC/H.264 is encoded. Is it this way for everyone else?

I have tried multiple settings and formats (e.g. resolutions, frame-rates, encodes, etc.) ... it does not seem to matter. I did notice that the Intel GPU (QuickSync I assume) Video Decoder is being utilized when scrubbing the timeline, and not the discreet card. Probably would not make a difference, UNLESS it is a driver issue or the like with the Intel GPU? I think QS ENCODE is working properly, but probably do a separate post on that question.

On a slightly separate note, I also notice if I full-screen the timeline playback (to the same monitor), the video will occasionally judder and then subsequently so will the playback window after closing out full-screen mode. I believe it resets if I load another clip, or reload the project, etc. Any idea why this might be happening as well?

Thanks!

* System Specs:
    CPU: Intel Core i9-13900k (5.8Ghz) (E-cores DISABLED)
    Mboard: MSI MPG Z690 Carbon
    Memory: 128GB G.Skill Trident Z5 DDR5 (5600) SDRAM
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 3070ti (8GB)
    Drives: 3x Dedicated Gen 4 NVMe drives (1. OS/Programs, 2. Pagefile/Scratch Disk, and 3. Video Work Drive) + multiple SSD Project Drives, etc.
    Last edited by OneQuickSix; 01-21-2023, 04:37 AM.
    MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.

You could try turning off the Quick Sync playback support. This does not work properly for 11th, 12th and 13th gen systems. For some people the system crashes when this is enabled.
    EDIUS silver certified trainer.
    Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
    Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Originally posted by David Clarke View Post
      You could try turning off the Quick Sync playback support. This does not work properly for 11th, 12th and 13th gen systems. For some people the system crashes when this is enabled.
      Grassvalley states that following features where added in versions 10.31:I guess that whoever has issues with 11 and 12th gen cpu's must be caused by wrong system set up? I don't see any mention of 13th gen cpu's so not sure if those are already fully supported.

Comment

Issues have been present since 10.31. Full support doesn't always mean it works fully.
        Many users have reported issues with 12th gen. This includes compatibility and quick sync issues.
        Jerry
        Six Gill DV
        www.sgdvtutorials.com
        If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
        http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
        Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

After 10.31 I have had less issues with 12th Gen chips (prior to this EDIUS generally crashed immediately) but there are still some problems. The 13th gen are the same. Some people do not have issues at all, but I have dmade several systems with 12th and 13th gen systems and if QS decode is left on there will be issues somewhere. This has been reported to GV last year and we wait to hear. Jan/feb is traditionally a time when not much happens because of new year so I don't expect anything immediately.

For the OP it is worth a try to see if performance improves.
          Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
          Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

Is poor h.264 scrubbing just the nature of the GOP structure beast? Will it sort of always be this way? I have not used other NLEs in a long time so I do not know if h.264 scrubbing is poor or great in other software.
            Asus Prime X299-A - Intel i9 7900x all cores @4.3GHz 2 cores @4.5GHz - 32GB RAM - NVidia GTX1070 - Edius 9 WG - BM Intensity 4k - Boris RED - Vitascene 2 - Windows 10

Comment

The OP was saying his new system was no better than his EDIUS 7 system. It may well be that it just doesn't get better and that is "the nature of the beast". However, it is worth turning off the QS pl;ayback support and seeing what happens.

Comment

On my system (amd5950x) files from a panasonic camera (4K 25p 4:2:0 100mbps) the scrubbing is very smooth and that is h264.

Comment

Here is a screenrecording of how a 4K 25p 4:2:0 100mbps h264 file from a sony a7III scrubs on a 4K Edius timeline, it's a file straight from the card, it's not as smooth like hqxavi ofcourse but I consider this very smooth for general editing.

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for all the replies. I am still at a loss, but I will try to cover most of what everyone said with my reply. I have been doing some testing, and not really getting anywhere. First, I'll start by saying it appears to be an MP4 (HEVC/AVC) issue, as (not surprisingly) HQX and files scrub flawlessly. (Playback is another issue I'll cover in a moment.) I'll try with other formats when I get a chance, but strongly suspect it is something to do with MP4s specifically -- although Noafilm's supplied screen-cap puts to bed my idea that "it is just the nature of MP4's."

Speaking of Noafilm, thank you very much for providing that ... glad you zoomed in to 1 frame for me at the end for the "real" test. :) Would it possible for you to send me the clip that you were demonstrating please? (Or any small portion thereof.) My next theory is that it is something to do with the encode quality (bit-rate, methodology) of the clips I have been testing with perhaps. Since you can scrub frame-by-frame, it would be very telling to see if I could do the same.

I did try disabling the QS playback as suggested (I assume you mean Settings>System Settings>Importer/Exporter/AVCHD (and HEVC)/ "Use Hardware decoder" unchecked, correct? I also tried unchecking the accelerated seek ... all to no avail. Otherwise, no Edius-specific issues ... very stable, responsive, effects, filters, etc. very good.

One further note/issue ... I am also, unfortunately, noticing occasional hiccups or judder -- most notably on horizontal camera moves. I thought it was just in Edius, and thought maybe it was just with MP4's, but I see it also with the same file converted to HQX, both in the playback monitor and on the full-screen playback monitor. I then tried it in a media player, and while (sometimes??) appearing smoother, it STILL had the judder. So, I don't know if it is in the camera or what ... I remember seeing this type of thing on horizontal moves with a completely different camera and believe, IIRC, that this is common issue with digital equipment, but it's strange how it isn't ALL the time. Can anyone confirm or deny this tidbit?

If anyone wouldn't mind sharing a piece of footage that has a horizontal move (aka trucking shot) they know does not exhibit any judder, I would love to test it out! Thanks!
                    MAIN SYSTEM: Asus P8Z68 DELUXE, Core i-7 2600k @ 4.6Mhz (stable), 32gb DDR3 1600 (1833 oc) Vengence RAM, 512gb SSD (OS and Apps Only), 256gb SSD Scratch Disk, 2TB Caviar Black SATA3 RAID Video Drive, Nvidia GTX 970 (oc'd), Windows 7 PRO 64-bit, all in a customized HAF-X case ... complete with holographic logo. [Air cooled into the low teens idle, 49c under heavy sustained oc'd load.] Dual 19" displays with 32" video monitor. ShuttlePRO.

Comment

EUREKA! HERE is an interesting discovery (at least to me) !

I noticed this is only happening when I try scrubbing with my mouse. If I use the the arrow keys (either held down OR single presses) it scrubs completely fine, as does using the J-K-L keys at multiple speeds. I have not hooked my Shuttle Pro V2 up to the new system yet, but it will be interesting to see if it works fine as well.

Does this provide any clue into what is happening? Why would it have such an issue with the mouse only? Weird.

Comment

Originally posted by OneQuickSix View Post

I did try disabling the QS playback as suggested (I assume you mean Settings>System Settings>Importer/Exporter/AVCHD (and HEVC)/ "Use Hardware decoder" unchecked, correct?
                        yes, that is correct, did you restart EDIUS after making the change?

also, make sure power options are on maximum performance and make sure fast startup is disabled in power options

then restart PC and empty appdata/local/Temp daily prior to starting EDIUS

Anton Strauss
                        Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

also, some intel graphics drivers require a monitor to be connected to the onboard graphics before QS really kicks in
                          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
                            also, some intel graphics drivers require a monitor to be connected to the onboard graphics before QS really kicks in
                            Thanks for that and the above, Anton. (See my new "Eureka" post just above your reply, it only seems to effect mouse scrubbing.) But just in case ... Max performance is set, but I don't even have the fast start option ... have never seen it actually. (I believe because I have hibernate disabled ... never use it.) I will give the restart and emptying of the temp folder a try.

I tried with and without a monitor hooked up to the Intel GPU ... didn't seem to make a difference in GPU Decode usage -- it hovers around 15 - 25%, less if dealing with 2k or 1080p of course.

Comment

to disable fast startup, click choose what the power button does

then click the link of hidden items

Anton-02028.png Anton-02029.png
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X