choppy video though Firewire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choppy video though Firewire

Hi All, I'm trying to have Edius 4.51c to output Standard Definition video via firewire in real-time to no avail. The idea is to output via firewire to a Canon ZR60, then use the analog out to a monitor. The same exact setup works fine with other NLE I tried (Premiere Pro, Vegas)

The settings within Edius are:
    Hardware Settings>Generic OCHI Settings>Enable RealTime DV Output
    Buffers are 128. I tried all settings, same problem.

With these settings, I get a momentary video signal on the external TV monitor (split second) video disappears and comes back; disappears, then comes back. The pattern is for every half a second of video, 10 seconds no video. The video though the firewire is intermittent. (The is a constant communication link between the camera and the firewire card, as the camera always indicates "DV IN". The problem seems to be that Edius has a problem streaming the video to the firewire card in a smooth flow)

Last time I tried Edius, version 4.03 (or 4.02), I had the same exact problem.

I use XP Pro SP2, AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ on a Gigabyte GA-7N400L moterboard (Bios at F11), 2Gig DDR Ram, Seagate 320 gig 7200 rpm HD, nVidia FX 5500.

Are there any other settings I should fiddle with?

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Last edited by GreekTV; 04-10-2008, 12:43 AM.
    Dimitri Papadopoulos

Edius 6.01. My system: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell Precision WorkStation T3500, Intel Dual-Core Xeon W3503 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 8 GB 1.3GHz DDR3 ECC DIMMs, Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm SATA HD, BFG nVidia GeForce GT 740 4GB CUDA GPU, DirectX 11, QuickTime 7.7.9 Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 audio card, Orange Micro SCI FireWave 51005-7000 rev 1.3 IEEE1394a 3-port card (Texas Instruments chipset), Canon GL2 Camera and SONY DSR-25 DVCAM VTR.

This is a total shot in the dark. Check your graphic card settings. Look for the hardware acceleration settings and change them to something besides what they are now.

I did a video tutorial once using Camtasia for screen captures. I had to turn off hardware acceleration to get the overlay to Camtasia. I forgot to turn it back on and all seemed ok. I did an onsite edit for a wedding and all during the playback on the giant screen in front of 200+ people my video would show a one second blue screen and no audio about every 90 seconds. I ended up playing back from my DVD. Later that night after the wedding I duplicated the problem quite by accident. I placed the cursor over the playback monitor window in Edius and it did the blip every time the mouse hit the window.

It isn't identical to your problem but very similar in a way. Check that out and see if it is any better. Also keep your mouse away from the playback window while previewing.

Just a shot in the dark.
    Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

Originally posted by Philip View Post
      I had to turn off hardware acceleration to get the overlay to Camtasia.
      Thanks for the quick reply. The problem isn't the overlay to my computer monitor. I'm getting overlay fine. I can even edit video in Edius no problem. The preview and edit monitors within Edius work perfect. I'm also getting a video overlay during capture, no problem.

The problem is **only** on the video going in Firewire output to the External TV monitor (via the camera). In other words, I can't preview via firewire, nor print to tape via firewire.

So I highly doubt it's a graphics card/acceleration issue.
      Last edited by GreekTV; 04-10-2008, 12:45 AM.
      Dimitri Papadopoulos

Edius 6.01. My system: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell Precision WorkStation T3500, Intel Dual-Core Xeon W3503 CPU @ 2.4 GHz, 8 GB 1.3GHz DDR3 ECC DIMMs, Seagate 2TB 7200 rpm SATA HD, BFG nVidia GeForce GT 740 4GB CUDA GPU, DirectX 11, QuickTime 7.7.9 Pro, M-Audio Audiophile 2496 audio card, Orange Micro SCI FireWave 51005-7000 rev 1.3 IEEE1394a 3-port card (Texas Instruments chipset), Canon GL2 Camera and SONY DSR-25 DVCAM VTR.

Comment

Go to Capture > Generic OHCI Input...pick DV 59.94i

Make sure you can control the deck. Then hit F12 to print to tape. It should work now after initialization.

If it still doesn't work right, check the DV cable and try a different firewire port if you have one.

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
          try a different firewire port if you have one.
          THANK YOU !

Keyword: "try a different firewire port". Since I didn't have a different firewire port, I installed a 3-port Texas Instruments Firewire card. Which after I connected Edius to it, it works flawlessly!

For the record, the initial firewire port which Edius seems to dislike is the IE 1394 port on the SoundBlaster Audigy sound card.

I'm transitioning from Cinestream 3.1 (obsolete/abandoned NLE) to another NLE suite; and after trying most software out there, I found that Edius resembles the most to Cinestream. (as a matter of fact, I found Edius to be Cinestream on steroids!) This is why I really wanted to get this thing working.

I'm buying it.
          Last edited by GreekTV; 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM.
          Dimitri Papadopoulos

Comment

Great to know it worked! :)

The best firewire chipsets are TI (Texas Instruments) so you're in good shape...I would stay away from VIA based ones. Not sure what the Audigy uses. Back in the day (a few years ago in terms of computers, hehe) there were countless issues with chipsets or whatnot....but nowadays, if you get a new computer with newer components, the onboard firewire ports are sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by GreekTV View Post
              Thanks for the quick reply. The problem isn't the overlay to my computer monitor. I'm getting overlay fine. I can even edit video in Edius no problem. The preview and edit monitors within Edius work perfect. I'm also getting a video overlay during capture, no problem.

The problem is **only** on the video going in Firewire output to the External TV monitor (via the camera). In other words, I can't preview via firewire, nor print to tape via firewire.

So I highly doubt it's a graphics card/acceleration issue.
              Sorry, I didn't clarify completely. For the playback at the reception I had my DV cam plugged into the FW port of the laptop and was using it as a passthrough DV/AV convertor. It was sending the blips to the camera and thus to the projector. It was coming out of the FW port messed up. It wasn't as obvious on the computer. On the computer it was more of freeze or a stutter.

Once I enabled the HW accelaration the blips stopped being exported to the camera. I was testing later that night in our hotel room.

It does sound like that is not related to your problem but it was an attempt to help.
              Main System. MSI G33m Motherboard, Intel Q6600 CPU, 2GB Ram, GeForce 9500GT, 7200rpm System drive. WinXP. Lots of external eSATA drives.

Laptop. Sony Vaio. CPU- i7-Gen 3, 8gb RAM, 1tbb 5400rpm hard drive, AMD GPU

Comment

Originally posted by STORMDAVE View Post
                Not sure what the Audigy uses.
                according to the SB0090 specs (SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum):
                http://www.pkix.net/~chuck/HL2/sandra.txt

The on-board firewire controller is a "Creative Labs" chipset. I visually confirmed this, which claims to be 'OHCI Compliant'.

Grass Valley may want to take a closer look at this chipset. I used this port with Cinestream, Vegas and Premiere and it works fine. Anyway, now that know Edius works fine with my Texas Instruments board, I'll use that instead. (I prefer not to use this PCI card in my computer because when installed, Windows XP, instead of shutting down when I select "shut down", it re-boots... That's the main reason I took it out.) But that's another story...

Originally posted by Philip View Post
                It does sound like that is not related to your problem but it was an attempt to help.
                Thank you, I really appreciated your reply. I'll keep in in mind in case I experience a similar issue.
                Dimitri Papadopoulos

Comment

Creative have always been terrible at drivers, and the firewire driver they use for the audigy does not meet fully the IEEE1394 spec, so you will find at times that you have trouble with it.
                  I would not use the firewire port on my audigy for anything important.
                  If XP doesn't shut down with the card installed it sounds like there is a conflict somewhere, try other pci slots or try yet another card.
                  www.myvideoproblems.com
                  Microsoft MVP in Digital Media

Edius 4.61, NX Express, xp sp2

Comment

The XP shutdown/reboot thing is a known problem with this chip (try a Google search), although I have not experienced it personally. However the TI chip is definitely the most reliable from a compatibility point of view.
                    Andrew Pinder
                    www.chpv.co.uk
                    Edius 9 with Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4k; Windows 10 (64 bit Pro); Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro; i9-9900K CPU; 32GB RAM;
                    Asus GTX1060 graphics; RME Fireface800 audio; SATA RAID

Comment

Working...
                    X