E10 is distorting audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E10 is distorting audio

Hi. I have a project with the audio settings at 48KHz sampling and 24 bit depth, 2 channel.
    I have imported several WAV files that are 44.1 & 16bit depth and they all sound and play fine.
    I just tried using a WAV file at 48KHz sampling and 24 bit depth and the sound is correct tempo, but sound is distorted and garbly. The VU meters show the level in the normal range.
    If I play that same WAV file in another media player, it sounds fine.
    E10 seems to do something to it.
    Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks
    Edius 10.3 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
    New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

UPDATE: I found that if I change audio project settings to 44.1KHz sampling it plays the file fine.
    Is this a known problem with E10, if both project & file are 48K, the sound will distort?
    Thanks
    Edius 10.3 Pro, Intel i7-5820K 3.3GHz, MSI X99s SLI plus MB, 32GB DDR4 mem, Nividia GTX 760, Win10 Pro x64, BM Intensity Shuttle for preview & capture.
    New to Edius - came from Liquid, before that 16mm film. I've been filmmaking since watching ST TOS first-run live on B&W TV

Comment

all my files are 48k and my project setting is always 48k, I have not experienced your issue

any chance you can share that 48k wav file for testing?
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by DaveL View Post
        UPDATE: I found that if I change audio project settings to 44.1KHz sampling it plays the file fine.
        Is this a known problem with E10, if both project & file are 48K, the sound will distort?
        Thanks
        Hi,
        I have never experienced this problem in the last 20 years.
        // I only use wav-48kHz-24bit
        kurt
        Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro / EDIUS-X(10.32.8750)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / RESOLVE-18.0.1.0003 Studio / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
        // Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Very strange. Thanks for feedback that on one else has seen this. I can switch back and forth from project audio settings at either 44.1 or 48 and the distortion is there at 48, and not at 44.1.
          The file time is only 3 min, but 47Meg in size, so the post wouldn't let me upload it. I'll see if I can share it another way.
          Some other information: The file was created with an external ADC, SPDIF into an audio card, and captured/recorded via audacity.
          I'll try creating some other files and see if I get same problem & post results.
          Thanks for the input.

Comment

Very strange. Thanks for feedback that on one else has seen this. I can switch back and forth from project audio settings at either 44.1 or 48 and the distortion is there at 48, and not at 44.1.
            The file time is only 3 min, but 47Meg in size, so the post wouldn't let me upload it. I'll see if I can share it another way.
            Some other information: The file was created with an external ADC, SPDIF into an audio card, and captured/recorded via audacity.
            I'll try creating some other files and see if I get same problem & post results.
            Thanks for the input.
            e.g by WeTransfer - kurt
            Intel core i7-6700K / ASUS Z170A / 32 GB RAM / Intel HD Graphics 530 / SSD Systemdrive / Gigabyte GeForce GT 1070 / Win-10/64 Pro / EDIUS-X(10.32.8750)-WG / Mercalli (V2, V4 and V5 Plugin/64bit) / RESOLVE-18.0.1.0003 Studio / ImgBurn / PowerDVD etc.
            // Read > Test > Understand

Comment

Thanks for the input.
              can you inspect the audio file with Mediainfo (free) in tree view and reply with a screenshot
              Anton Strauss
              Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

I may have figured out what was happening.
                The stereo WAV file was unusual in that there was standard audio on one track and a 60Hz pilotone (for syncing old 16mm film) on the other track.
                When set at 48KHz (matching the sampling rate of the WAV file), it appears some form of intermodulation distortion was happening with the 60Hz garbling the audio on the other track.
                When set at 44.1 the problem went away.
                I was able to make it work at 48K by 2 methods:
                1) By using channel map to utilize only the audio track and ignore the 60Hz track.
                2) Re-capturing the audio tracks in dual mono, and then the tracks would play fine as well.
                This seems to indicate something in the chain, with just this combination, gave this weird result. It was very repeatable. But once I had an idea of what was happening, I was able to make it work just fine with one or both of the above methods.
                Anton - I will do the inspection as well as this provide more information and I'm very curios about this.
                Thanks to all for all suggestions, really helps for all the support.

Comment

Working...
                X