Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Taming Moire patterning on an animated still.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taming Moire patterning on an animated still.

I was asked if if I could advise an Estate Agent who was putting together animated stills of a property and it was under attack from Moire patterns.
    It has now turned into a "mission"!!!!
    I was sent samples and was surprised that they had done nothing wrong. Both size and data rate were good. The stills were razor sharp so my first port of call was to put the still in Photoshop and use the deinterlace filter. It certainly showed the problem whether Upper or Lower field was selected (in PS filter). Seeing the problem in the crop pic attached, is there any format that would eliminate the inherent issue? I have tried psd-png-tga without success. I have also tried making a HQ avi of the still and animating that., which gives similar results.
    On the timeline (1080P) with movement from layouter and anti-flicker the Moire on the tiles during movement is reduced and the addition of Neat "softens" the edges of the tiles and is "good enough".
    I have now run out of ideas of dealing with these Hi Res stills to get perfect results, which may not even be possible...as well as needing to get some real work done.
    The pics attached were from a crop I did (to protect the identity) and show the before and after PS deinterlace.​ ​​​​​
    Have I missed something?
    Attached Files

Try this:
    https://youtu.be/c11lSzKdTCk
    Jerry
    Six Gill DV
    www.sgdvtutorials.com
    If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
    http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
    Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

what is the project setting?
      what is the resolution of the stills?

when using an SD project setting, forget doing still animations, it will look like the aftermath of drinking a bottle of SC
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry View Post
        Hi Jerry I had watched the relevant section of the tutorial earlier but my PS version is too old. I have found out it can be done in Affinity Photo but haven't cracked it yet.

Comment

Originally posted by antonsvideo View Post
          what is the project setting?
          what is the resolution of the stills?

when using an SD project setting, forget doing still animations, it will look like the aftermath of drinking a bottle of SC
          No it's an HD project 1080P and the still that the crop is from is 1619x1080 @240dpi

Comment

there is something not making sense as your second image shows terrible diagonal zig zag

Anton-01833.png
            Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro 21H2

Comment

there is something not making sense as your second image shows terrible diagonal zig zag

Anton-01833.png
              Yes. That is what you see if you deinterlace either field in Photoshop or Affinity, as per my post "The pics attached were from a crop I did (to protect the identity) and show the before and after PS deinterlace."​ ​​​​​
              There is something "going on" in the original pic.

Comment

to deinterlace an interlaced still in Photoshop, you can use motion blur, 90 degrees by 1 pixel

Anton-01836.png
                Anton Strauss

Comment

That's something else I've learnt. The thing I have never got to grips with, are why a single photo pic is interlaced to start with. Resavng as a Progressive jpg etc doesn't seem to work. My knowledge is limited to deinterlacing a pic or still frame for rock steady playback.

Comment

a Photoshop progressive jpg is not what you think as p in video, progressive means when the image loads in a website, it loads at low res and gradually builds to full res

stills are not interlaced by default, they are only interlaced if saved as interlaced from an animation or video editing software
                    Anton Strauss

Comment

I'm confused now as deinterlacing the camera still in PS produces an inferior image.

On the basis that we (I) have all forgotten more than we know, if I recall your 1 pixel motion blur was something we sued back in the SD Days.

Comment

which camera makes interlaced stills? All still cameras I have don't
                        Anton Strauss

Comment

which camera makes interlaced stills? All still cameras I have don't
                          I will send you the original privately tomorrow. I cannot share it here.

Comment

Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post

I will send you the original privately tomorrow. I cannot share it here.
                            ok, I will check it out
                            Anton Strauss

Comment

I applied 90x1 motion blur in Photoshop to the image you sent and then I created the same layouter moves as you did in the mp4 you sent and there was no Moire at all
                              Last edited by antonsvideo; 05-09-2022, 08:51 AM.
                              Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                              X