• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoundFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by DigitalDave View Post
    There is a way of making 16x9 menus using the Advanced tab which is hidden
    Hi Dave, can you guide me to the hidden bits ?

Leave a comment:

• Nerfboy
    replied
    Well if it's true that I can get DVD Lab to force a widescreen DVD to letterbox on a 4:3 TV that would be great and save me a lot of headaches. I just got DVD Lab Pro 2...so now yet another program to learn.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalDave
    replied
    As many will know as I was on the WS3 beta team when the plug was pulled....3 years ago and since then Ulead have had 2 new owners. You are correct 16x9 menus are a no no. There is a way of making 16x9 menus using the Advanced tab which is hidden but the overlays are inevitably out and using software to change the flags was not totally successful.
    Encore 2 gets my vote and with EDIUS and Procoder ( gotta get it in somewhere) works well .....

Leave a comment:

• SoundFreak
    replied
    Originally posted by Nerfboy View Post
    I use DVD Workshop for my menus and burning. I do need new software for the menu making as I can't make 16:9 menus with that one.
    No you didn't miss out any settings, I also use DVD Workshop 2.2.3.2 and 16x9 video.
    There is no way to have a 16x9 menu on a 16x9 video, it looks that there were 2 software design teams working on it and the menu department did not get the 16x9 memo, most likely full mail box (LoL)

Also DVD Workshop is considered a "dead" software, nice to use for simple menu's but unfortunately no development for several years now. Most likely the U-Lead users have decided to "kill" the way overpriced software by not buying it anymore, I have it, but would never buy it (now) again, or anything else from them again !

U-Lead can make more $$ with their low end movie maker etc, so the pro costumers are left standing in the cold.

As I never use very complex menu's I'll stick with DVD Workshop for a while, when needed I'll switch to DVDlab Pro, great software !
    Last edited by SoundFreak; 04-08-2008, 04:57 AM.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Great, thanks.

What's the newest version of DVD Lab? Never tried it before, but a friend uses it and loves it.
    on their website, you can only get the newest version, be sure to buy the Pro version

Leave a comment:

• Nerfboy
    replied
    Great, thanks.

What's the newest version of DVD Lab? Never tried it before, but a friend uses it and loves it.

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    Ok, I hear you, but this is the thing...

When I play the 16:9 version, it fills up the widescreen nicely, but when I change the aspect to 4:3 on the remote, it tries to fill the whole screen, so it looks stretched from top to bottom.

I take the 16:9 footage from Edius and convert to 4:3, and THAT"s when I get it in letterboxed for a normal TV.

Maybe there's a setting I am missing? I use DVD Workshop 2 for my menus and burning. I do need new software for the menu making as I can't make 16:9 menus with that one.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!
    When you connect a DVD player to a 4:3 TV, you must go to DVD player setup menu and set aspect to "letterbox on 4:3"

try DVD Lab Pro for authoring, it has 16:9 and 4:3 and makes it possible to force letterbox on 4:3
    http://www.videoproductions.com.au/d...properties.gif

Leave a comment:

• Nerfboy
    replied
    Ok, I hear you, but this is the thing...

When I play the 16:9 version, it fills up the widescreen nicely, but when I change the aspect to 4:3 on the remote, it tries to fill the whole screen, so it looks stretched from top to bottom.

I take the 16:9 footage from Edius and convert to 4:3, and THAT"s when I get it in letterboxed for a normal TV.

Maybe there's a setting I am missing? I use DVD Workshop 2 for my menus and burning. I do need new software for the menu making as I can't make 16:9 menus with that one.

Thanks for all the help, keep it coming!

Leave a comment:

• GrassValley_BH
    replied
    Yup... and the DVD spec does have a Pan&Scan feature, that nobody uses... Why? It was easier to re-cut the film in full-frame than to define all the movement vectors and such. It may no longer be the case, but that feature fell into "good idea, never really used" bucket.

BTW: What it would've done, had it been used, was...
    16x9 Widescreen viewer sees the full widescreen movie
    4x3 Pan&Scan viewer sees a 4x3 'window' of the 16x9 frame (not a center cut, the actual changes viewed portion could change like in a 4x3 pan-and-scan VHS version).

The advantage was that only a single instance of the movie was needed on the disc, hence saving from having two titles (one 16x9 and one 4x3) or having to do the flipper disc method.

For better or for worse, encoding technology caught up and with dual-layer discs and good encoders, it was easier/faster/cheaper(?) to just put two copies of the movie on a disc - or simply sell them as separate versions like most studios do!

Leave a comment:

• Imagine Video
    replied
    Anton is right leave it at 16:9 it will be great on a 16:9 tv and nice letterboxed on a 4:3 tv Relax and don't worry about your clients TV's and setups.........not your problem! UNLESS the client has asked for the ability to play full screen on 4:3 tv............

You cant please everyone ALL the time ONLY some , some of the time ;-)

Leave a comment:

• antonsvideo
    replied
    a 16:9 DVD will look great on 16:9 TV and it will look letterboxed on a 4:3 TV (this is also great)

why would you wish to chop off the sides to make it fill the 4:3 screen? I would want to avoid that

Leave a comment:

• Nerfboy
    replied
    Well I guess the instance where I am thinking that would be useful is that I do a lot of weddings, and since I give a certain number of copies to the client, it would be nice if both setting could be on one DVD. Who knows who gets the copies and what TVs they have.

So I know this is a dumb Q, but two VTS files on one DVD would be twice the space? That wouldn't work out since most wedding DVDs are around an hour to two hours.

Leave a comment:

• THoff
    replied
    Originally posted by Rusty View Post
    Be aware that you can't mix 16:9 and 4:3 footage on a standard DVD.
    That's not true.

You can't mix aspect ratios within one VTS, but you can have multiple VTS's on one disk. You can therefore include both a 4:3 and a 16:9 version of your movie on one disk, although the usefulness of that is questionable given that a DVD player will automatically letterbox a widescreen DVD on a 4:3 TV.

Leave a comment:

• Rusty
    replied
    Yes! Letterbox is added by the DVD player.

So make your video and DVD menus 16:9 and it will work on a 4:3 TV (provided the player knows (through settings) that it's hooked to a 4:3 TV)

Be aware that you can't mix 16:9 and 4:3 footage on a standard DVD.

Leave a comment:

• Nerfboy
    replied
    And by that I mean, can I have a DVD that fills up a widescreen in 16:9 mode and letterboxes the footage in 4:3.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X