GV HQ File quality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GV HQ File quality

i n eed to send someone some files for editing overseas. im sending thru dropbox and have plenty of space to send.
    when im converting these files off the timeline, with my choices being HQ fine, HQX fine or super fine, or GV Lossless. Ive notice the files go from 3.6gb for lossless, 3.1 for HQX Super and 1gb for HQ Fine. GV lossless seem to be my best bet to have a duplicate file identical in quality of the original. Just wanted to confirm this would be the ideal way to go over the other 2. the clip was 1:39 minutes.

I would export Prores 4:2:2 as this is 10bit in case your project is 10bit

Lossless is 8bit and can only be edited by someone with EDIUS or the codec pack installed
    Anton Strauss
    Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

• jimstamos
      jimstamos commented
      Editing a comment
      i shot with the sony z90. hd 10bit.
      he has edius

If he didn't have Edius, I would agree with Anton, but since he has Edius, ProRes or HQX are the best choices to preserve the 10bit colour, but for the sake of maximum quality, I would lean toward HQX, but ramp the quality way up by using a custom settings, reducing the Q (quantization) and increasing the max size in the settings. Theoretically this could be substantially better quality than ProRes if the video need to use the extra bandwidth headroom (almost twice as high a cap as ProRes HQ) you are allowing it to access and less aggressive compression by using the reduced Q setting.

Here is a link to the GV HQX whitpaper if you want to read up on it. https://wwwapps.grassvalley.com/docs...Whitepaper.pdf
    Edius WG 9.55.9157, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

• jimstamos
      jimstamos commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the info. i will do the hqx.
      not seeing where the custom settings are, i see the different hqx....fine, superfine, and alpha etc.the one i converted was hqx superfine 10bit.

You will see the option to enable the custom settings once you click past the first preset selection window and get to the one where you name your file. The preset qualities, custom option, Q slider and max file size slider are there.
    Edius WG 9.55.9157, various 3rd party plugins, VisTitle 2.9.6.0, Win 7 Ultimate SP1, i7-4790K @ 4GHz with HD4600 GPU embedded, MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard, 32GB Kingston HyperX RAM, nVidia GTX680 4GB GPU, Matrox MX02 Mini MAX, Corsair 750W PSU, Corsair H110i GT Water Cooler, Corsair C70 case, 8TB Internal RAID 0/stripe (2x4TB Seagate SATAIII HDD's, Win7 Software stripe), 1TB Crucial MX500 SSD, Pioneer BDR-207D, Dual 1920x1080 monitors (one on GTX680 and one on Intel HD4600).

Comment

What would you recommend I do in those settings to maximize ,I've never done it before

Comment

What would you recommend I specifically adjust in those settings I've never done this before

Comment

As I said above, reduce the Q and increase the Max File Size. If you jump between the different presets, you can see the direction the sliders move to increase or decrease. Maximum quality is sliders to the extreme settings.

Comment

Working...
          X