Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Edius SP with 64bit PCI = overkill; alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piotr, well I am must say it's true that one can live and learn some more each day... I have never experimented any more with the graphics cards's HDTV preview having the perfect solution in the NX but this sounds very good indeed and would save much expense and messing with the computer innards.

Just one thing that still puzzles me and that is the 100Hz refresh rate you are using... from what I understand and forgive me if I am wrong but I believe that 100Hz LCD and Plasma HDTV's are not the same as CRT TV's that have a timebase that runs at 100Hz with subsequent improvement to flicker, in fact they run at 50Hz but "invent" their own intermediate frames that are interspersed with the true frames in an attempt to "smooth" motion.

If this is true then it's similar to the "frame blending" switch in After Effects that smooths motion such as might be employed in a format conversion from PAL to NTSC and I know for a fact that this is a very undesirable thing to have to do if you want to see your video as it was filmed.

Maybe something to check up on, I could be wrong perhaps your tv is true 100Hz.
    Claire

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Claire View Post
      Maybe something to check up on, I could be wrong perhaps your tv is true 100Hz.
      I think it is, Claire. It's just that each frame is displayed twice; this technology is also used in the NTSC area, where 120 Hz HDTV are common now (2x60Hz).

Interestingly, Pioneer is using a special mode for 24fps reproduction; it changes the refresh rate to 72Hz (3x24Hz), in both the PAL and NTSC models.

Anyway, this "framerate multiplicity rule" is nothing new; in fact each of the 24 frames per second we see in cinema theaters is also displayed twice, to reduce flicker...
      Sony PMW-EX1 on a learning curve
      editing with Vegas Pro 8.0b, but considering Edius Broadcast
      QX6700 quad CPU, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 2xRAID0
      24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Ok, I googled and see this confirming what you say regarding your new Panasonic plama.

"the plasma double speed just shows each frame 2 times and the LCD 100hz like Sony motionflow fill in between frames with a dynamically produced frame.

So fortunately for you, your particular telly will not be inventing it's own images <grin!>.
        Claire

Edius 8.53 Workgroup, DVC Built i7 5960X 8 core Haswell-E Unlocked, Win10 Pro 64 bit, Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4, 32GB DDR4 RAM, RTX 2080 Ti 11GB, Decklink 4K Extreme 12G, TMPGEnc Movie Plug-in AVC, Eizo 31" ColorEdge CG319X HDR 4K monitor

Comment

And this was one of the reasons I've chosen the Panasonic over the Bravia. Was considering the Pioneer Curo, but at just 10" more (at 60"), it's 5x more expensive!
          Sony PMW-EX1 on a learning curve
          editing with Vegas Pro 8.0b, but considering Edius Broadcast
          QX6700 quad CPU, Asus P5W DH Deluxe, 2xRAID0
          24" LCD plus 50" HDTV

Comment

Working...
          X