Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8WG working with LUTs

​Hi all,

I'm editing several clips H.264 4:2:2 10 bit VLog-L from a Panasonic GH5.
    Once imported into Edius, before starting my CC, I would like to convert them in Rec.709 color space via a LUT. I apply a Primary color correction filter and Edius recognize correctly the Panasonic VLog-L color Space and automatically apply the Rec.709 color space.

Maybe I'm missing something but here my questions:
    • The Rec.709 conversion has colors completely off.
      Every clip has strong green or cyan cast. What's wrong? Is it the Edius default LUT that is buggy?
      Is it something in my conf. that I'm missing?

Original VLog clip

vlog.PNG

Edius Rec.709 conversion

BT.709.PNG
    • I downloaded a original Panasonic LUT for conversion from VLog-L to V709 and things got better (but Gamut is still a bit off). See my following point.
    • Using a Color correction filter I'm used to check my changes via the Preview layer (e.g. 50%). In my case i would expect to see my clip with 50% of the frame with the LUT applied and 50% with the original VLog-L clip.
      I set the color space from Panasonic VLog-L to the Panasonic LUT Vlog_to_v709. If I put the preview layer to 50%. My preview is useless because I get the Rec.709 broken conversion as a default layer.
      I tried to stack two Primary Color Correction filters: the first one with the output as the source (basically do nothing); the second with the Rec.709 as output. Unfortunately while I edit the filter, the preview layer is always the broken Rec.709.
      How I get the default VLog-L clip (I mean the original clip) on the preview window?

Preview.PNG

CC2.PNG

From the above picture, if I set preview to "Left 50%" I should see the destination LUT on the left (it's what I see) but on the right I should see the original clip in its color space.

Attached Files
    Edius 8.53 WG on Intel i9-9900K, Fractal design Celsius S24, ASRock Z390 Taichi, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 3GHz, Corsair RM850x, 1x500GB + 2x2TB Samsung EVO SSD, 10TB Toshiba HDD, MSI GTX 1660 6GB DDR5

I think you are better off just colour grading it without a lut. I too have the panasonic lut...its not quite there..
    I have filmed using vlog-l with my camera and I get better results using the colour grading tools in edius.
    but if you still want to use a lut, here is a link you might find useful... https://freshluts.com/

Comment

Thanks.

But it means that Edius 8 Lut management is broken?
      the default color space correction is completely wrong
      Edius 8.53 WG on Intel i9-9900K, Fractal design Celsius S24, ASRock Z390 Taichi, 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, 3GHz, Corsair RM850x, 1x500GB + 2x2TB Samsung EVO SSD, 10TB Toshiba HDD, MSI GTX 1660 6GB DDR5

Comment

Iam still using Edius 7. I dont have that option like in 8, 9, or 10. but I am still able to edit vlog footage and grade it and get the same results. I can also use luts as well in edius 7 but I hardly use it. you better off grading with the tools and save all the tools used as a preset for other clips etc

and no... does not mean edius 8 Lut system is broken. it could be the panasonic lut itself. just set up e8 with the right project setting etc

Comment

Originally posted by ulyssesvideo View Post
          and no... does not mean edius 8 Lut system is broken. it could be the panasonic lut itself. just set up e8 with the right project setting etc
          Actually even if I do not use the Panasonic LUT, it's the Edius color space conversion that seems to be broken.
          I apply a Primary Color Correction Filter and by default this is what I get:

CC1.PNG

BT.709.PNG

Moreover in the preview window I cannot see the original VLog clip so doing CC is a PITA.

Am I the only one experiencing this?
          Is it too late to write about this because we are on Edius 10?
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

In your screen shot it shows EDIUS is applying a lut. For most formats EDIUS read the metadata from the camera knowing what format it is filmed in and then when you put on the primary colour corrector automatically sticks the lot in the source and converts the colour space.
            Your screenshot is showing the Panasonic lut in the source and rec709 as the destination.
            I don't think it's broken that's just how it works and has in previous versions as well.
            EDIUS silver certified trainer.
            Main edit laptop: DVC Kaby Lake desktop processor laptop, 32GB RAM, 3.5Ghz i5 desktop processor, nVidia 1060, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 4Ghz 9900K processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1660TI GPU, Windows 10.
            Desktop: 2Ghz 12 core Xeon processor, 32GB RAM, nVidia 1060, BM Intensity Pro, Windows 10

Comment

So if input and output are correct (they are), what if the image colors I get are completely false?

Comment

Sorry but a lut won't magically correct colors. You can convert Vlog to rec 709. You do get correct colors when Vlog L is shot with correct exposure and white balance. Anything that is off you need to colorgrade.
                Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 09-28-2021, 02:47 PM.
                Steve

Get Support or the Latest version of EDIUS:
                EDIUS support and Downloads

Comment

if you don't white balance the camera before filming, Luts wont correct it.

Comment

Working...
                  X