Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Export using NVidia H265 Encoder results in Red Checkers

Problem

Opening a project that uses the Primary Color Corrector and the Technicolor Cinestyle LUT for Canon cameras results in those clips being exported with a Red and Black checkered pattern.

Workaround
    1. Open the Primary Color Corrector on any clip.
    2. Make a change to the exposure and undo. You must click ok on the dialog. If you cancel it will remain broken.
    3. Export works
    Alternate Workaround
    1. Make sure at least one Primary Color Corrector clip with the LUT has some sort of adjustment beyond simply applying the LUT. (Exposure, White Balance, etc...).

Notes:
    • This only happens if the LUT is applied, but no other changes are made to the Primary Color Corrector. If a Primary Color Corrector with the LUT is applied to any clip in the timeline, and one of the other values is changed (Exposure, White Balance) etc... then everything works fine. However, if all clips are applied the LUT through the Primary Color Corrector with no other adjustments then the clip will export with the Red Checker squares.
    • It may not be specific to this LUT but this is the LUT I use with my projects
    • Once the workaround is applied it appears to be work until you restart EDIUS, even if you open a different project. (Confirmed)
    • Applies to EDIUS 10.20.7490 and 10.00.6653. Windows 10 builds 21H1. Surface Book 2 (Core i5 - No Nvidia GPU) and Desktop PC with NVidia 2060 Super. Same project on two different computers exhibits the same problem.
    • Export format doesn't matter. H264, AVI using Grass Valley codec all result in the same issue.
    Reproduction Steps
    1. Download the attached LUT. Load it into the Primary Color Corrector for use.
    2. Start EDIUS X
    3. Drag a clip onto the timeline.
    4. Apply Primary Color Corrector
    5. Set to the LUT from the attached file.
    6. Change nothing else. Click OK.
    7. Expor
    Results: Red Checker Grid
    1. Open the Primary Color Corrector
    2. Change exposure, white balance etc...
    3. Export
    Results: File exports normally.

Original Post and Updates

I exported a 1080p video using the NVidia h265 encoder and segments of the video are just a Red/Black checker pattern. My timeline is pretty simple with just a few clips from a DSLR. The clips have the Primary Color Corrector applied and then a sharpness. Not all the segments in the output have the Red Checker pattern. It seems to be only the segments that have the Primary Color Corrector applied. It seems like its having trouble using the graphics card to do the primary color corrector and export using the graphics card at the same time.

Running Windows 10, Build 21H1
    Graphics card is an NVidia 2060 Super. Graphics drivers are version 471 (latest version).
    EDIUS is 10.20.7490.

Anyone else run into this issue?

(Anyone else frustrated that for support I am supposed to go through my Reseller instead of dealing with grass valley directly?)

* Update *
    Export using the regular H264 export results in the same issue. It appears to be the Primary Color Corrector which is the issue.

* Update*
    Looks like its specifically the LUT I am using. Its been a while since I set up the LUT. I am using the Technicolor Cinestyle LUT for Canon DSLRs. Applying the Primary Color Corrector using default settings (which dont' do anything) and making some changes to the sliders seems to work fine. My presets have worked for years and suddenly seem broken. Even old projects don't render properly.

* Update*

Further investigation shows that a change in the Primary Color Corrector may be to blame.

One time I tried a applying a Primary Color Corrector and select my LUT I noticed that
    • HDR/SDR Gain is set to disabled and grayed out.
    • Tone Mapping is set to disabled and grayed out.
    However if I load an existing project, or apply my saved preset
    • HDR/SDR Gain setting is set to "Current Project Settings (6.5db)"
    • Tone Mapping is set to "Current Project setting (Soft Clip)"
    I thought maybe this was the issue but attempts to reproduce this did not work. For some reason it seems to have magically fixed itself? I am having to trouble reproducing the problem. The only thing I did that might have made it go away was manually trying to play with the settings for the Primary Color Corrector.

Further playing with this, it seems like some sort of change to the Primary Color Corrector needs to be applied in order to get it to not have the issue.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by ntbone; 07-19-2021, 11:15 PM.

This could be an indicator that the Lut is missing. What you can try is reload the LUT in EDIUSX .Apply it a a clip an check if it works. Then usually it will be linked again for your other clips.
    Steve

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

The LUT isn't missing. The problem is intermittent for sure. I have had the problem disappear, then reappear and disappear again.

It seems to be some combination of
      1. Export using the NVidia encoder for H264 or H265
      2. Notice the red grid in the output
      3. Play with the Primary Color correcting changing something
      4. Export again.
      I haven't been able to narrow it down to something reproducible.

Comment

I have it now down to some reproducible steps.
        1. Load specific version of my project. I had to retrieve it from the Autosave.
        2. Export => Red Blocks
        3. Open the Primary Color corrector and change something. Doesn't seem to matter what. I change it for one clip. I can change a value (say exposure) and put it back where it was resulting in no change.
        4. Export => Fixed
        Once changed, unless I restart EDIUS, any subsequent projects dont' seem to have the issue.
        Last edited by ntbone; 07-19-2021, 12:58 PM.

Comment

while you wait for a solution, export without hardware using Nvidia, the CPU export will be much faster than Nvidia GPU, at least it is in my case and I use an RTX 2070 Super

also, what are your PC specs, CPU, Mobo? and what have you set in system settings, effects, color correction?

example: https://www.videoproductions.com.au/edius90/GPU-PCC.png
          Anton Strauss
          Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thanks antonsvideo but the issue shows up even with the software encoder and even with AVI export.
            I also had tried turning off the GPU for the Primary Color Corrector but that too seems to not make a difference.

The key workaround for this is to

1. Open the Primary Color corrector, change something and then undo it. You must make a change and either put the value back, or undo. If you cancel the change from the Primary Color Corrector it doesn't fix the issue.
            2. Export works fine.

Seems like some sort of initialization issue.

Comment

Happend me too, in diffrent projects and diffrent luts

Comment

Originally posted by inon View Post
                Happend me too, in diffrent projects and diffrent luts
                Can you confirm my work arounds on those projects?

Comment

does it also happen if you don't apply a LUT? maybe your EDIUS version has a bug with LUTs?

I just noticed that you are using an older version, can you try the current version EDIUS 10.20.7620
                  Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

It reproduced on the latest version of EDIUS X as well as an older version 10.00.6653 from a Surface Book 2 Core I5, no Nvidia Gfx.

I tried reproducing it with a built in LUT but was unable to. I will note that the LUT I use greys out the Base, HDR/SDR Gain and Tone Mapping.

Comment

in your original post you mentioned EDIUS 10.20.7490 which is not the latest version
                      Anton Strauss

Comment

@ the OP can you provide tghe lut you are having issues with?
                        Steve

Comment

I just tried this with my 1080ti and NVENC H.265/H.264.
                          1. I opened a project I had and specified a section.
                          2. I then applied the PCC to this section.
                          3. I opened the PCC and imported/registered the S curve LUT into the PCC and then closed the PCC.
                          4. I reopened the PCC and scrolled to the bottom of the Destination LUT list and selected the S Curve LUT. I made
                          not other changes to the LUT aside from selecting as the Destination LUT.
                          5. I tested the application of the LUT by toggling the PCC tickbox in the Information Palette.
                          6. I exported using both H.264 NVENC and H.265 NVENC ......no errors.
                          7. I placed the exported file above the timeline original and then toggle the PCC OFF on the original.
                          I then toggled the track on which the S curved exported file was placed, ON and OFF. This immediately
                          showed me that the LUT was applied to the exported video.

I'm running Driver 466.27. Is there a possibility that the the 2060 is overheating?
                          Last edited by Jerry; 07-20-2021, 08:53 PM.
                          Jerry
                          Six Gill DV
                          www.sgdvtutorials.com
                          If you own the Tutorials and you need help, PM me.

Vistitle YouTube Channel
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMVlxC8Am4qFbkXJRoPAnMQ/videos

Windows 10 Pro up to v.1803 Tweaks for Edius Users
                          http://sgdvtutorials.com/WIN%2010%20...%20V.2.0.0.pdf

Main System:: Azrock Z97 Extreme 6, [email protected], 32gb ram, NZXT Z63, Win10 Pro 64, Samsung 850 pro, E7.5/8.5/E9 on separate SSD drives, 2TB Sabrent M.2 NVME, BM MINI MONITOR 4K, 12tb RAID 0 on backplane ,2 BD, Dual LG 27GK65S-B 144Hz monitors, GTX 1080ti SC Black.
                          Second System: EditHD Ultimax-i7, X58, [email protected], Corsair H80, Win764, 24gb ram, Storm 3g, Samsung 840 Pro 256, 4tb and 6tb RAID 0 on backplane, GTX 980ti Classified, Edius 9, Apple 30", Samsung 24", dual BD.

Comment

I tested this but so far I have not been able to get the red. I saved and exit EDIUS a few times with no adjustment to the lut.
                            The I made a couple adjustments but so far I have not been able to reproduce this.
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X