Can't see MP4 H.265 from Samsung Galaxy S21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't see MP4 H.265 from Samsung Galaxy S21

After updating to the latest version, Edius X will no longer recognise files from my Samsung Galaxy S21.

The first video shows the problem. The second video is to an edit I done a few weeks ago using a previous version of Edius X with files from my S21. In fact, these files and video are in 8K, while Edius had problems playing them, they could at least be transcoded to HQX.

https://youtu.be/CwpY0Qv0bvQ

https://youtu.be/Mwvfufeujc8

"There's only one thing more powerful than knowledge. The free sharing of it"

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Is your Robot three laws safe?

can you please supply a 5sec clip from the Samsung Galaxy S21 so other users can test if they are having the same problem.

Comment

I don't now if the files from the S21 and S20+ are different..
      I tested 8 k [9:21] from an S20+ and it imports fine in to the latest version of EDIUS. The phone also has the latest update from Samsung.
      File from the S20+ is also H265.

Started on the Nvida GPU
      Plays fine in EDIUS with Preview resolution set to 1/2 (4k) Stutters in 8k
      Notebook: Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1505M v5 @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) with 16GB of ram

Started on the Intel GPU
      Is smooth in 8k and plays fine with Preview resolution set to 1/2

Here is a quick sample from the S20+
      https://www.filemail.com/d/xdhhozrtmbxqcfl
      available for a week

Maybe indeed we can get a sample file from the S21 to try on different systems.
      I will also check if I can find one on the Samsung website.
      Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-11-2021, 02:37 PM.
      Steve

Get the Latest version of EDIUS:
      EDIUS Download (grassvalley.com)

Please don't send me Private Messages for support. Contact Grass Valley support

Comment

I downloaded the 8K sample file from this site:

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra Review | Photography Blog

and checked it with media info and it appears to be an original 8K file from the phone.

I had no problems loading it into Edius 10 (Ver. 7620) but could not play it back at full framerate without transcoding to HQX no matter what my resolution was set to. I was working in an 8K 24P project. The HQX transcode was able to playback at full resolution without any issues.
        My System: Edius Workgroup 9.51 & 10.0, Intel I9-9900K 3.60GHz Liquid Cooling, MSI Z390-A PRO MB, 32-GB Mem, GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GPU, BM Intensity Pro 4K Card, Win 10 Pro

Comment

Liverpool tv.... can you please supply an sample clip ? thanks

Comment

Yes we would need a sample from David as the samples we have now. One from a s20+ and one from the link from Lew's S21 link open .
            If anyone has a S21 can you share a 5 second 8k clip so we can test? Also test if you can import the file in to EDIUS 10.20.7620
            Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-12-2021, 04:01 PM.
            Steve

Comment

its a bit disappointing that Liverpool tv wont assist with this issue. I mean if he want to find a solution.. you have to help man!.
              it would be SO interesting if the clip did work on other systems with the latest version of edius 10!

here is a question... what % of ppl are editing mp4 clips only (h.265 or and h.264) as their main footage? edius is more geared as a broadcast editor..

Comment

• 363596694@qq.com
                [email protected] commented
                Editing a comment
                China's TV stations are basically H264 265 as the mainstream video compression format, MPEG has been eliminated for many years.

So far we have not been able to reproduce this issue with the files we have at this time.
              Maybe this is a system specific issue. We hope to receive a file from to OP with which we can reproduce it.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_SL View Post
                We hope to receive a file from to OP with which we can reproduce it.
                16 minutes before you wrote this completely unnecessary request you responded to another post of mine. I say unnecessary because you were already fully aware of my reluctance to engage any further with this post. Yet you bring the same request up again and one that’s already been flogged to death by someone else. Seriously, Steve, do you want me explaining my point again, here on the main forum and do you really think that anything good will come of me engaging with others who don’t know what they are talking about and who are clearly looking for trouble. Honestly, asking the same thing three times is usually an indicator of a certain type of intent, especially when you and Pat are already aware of past form.

If you don't know the difference between Azimuth and Asimov, then either your tapes sound bad and your Robot is very dangerous. Kill all humans...... Or your tape deck won't harm a human, and your Robot's tracking and stereo imagining is spot on.

Comment

I am just asking for a sample file . Because the ones we have from the S21 open just fine. No need to explain. Just provide the sample that doesn't load so we can test. I think that is a fair request.

Because if we can reproduce this at will we can send the file to QA and aak for them to look at it.

We can only send issues to QA if we can reproduce them and have the exact steps. So far we have been unable to. SO we are asking for your help, provide the sample that does not load. So we can all see what happens on our systems.
                  Last edited by GrassValley_SL; 07-13-2021, 07:48 PM.
                  Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Liverpool TV View Post

16 minutes before you wrote this completely unnecessary request you responded to another post of mine. I say unnecessary because you were already fully aware of my reluctance to engage any further with this post. Yet you bring the same request up again and one that’s already been flogged to death by someone else. Seriously, Steve, do you want me explaining my point again, here on the main forum and do you really think that anything good will come of me engaging with others who don’t know what they are talking about and who are clearly looking for trouble. Honestly, asking the same thing three times is usually an indicator of a certain type of intent, especially when you and Pat are already aware of past form.
                    LiverpoolTV... it was a simple request..... I am not here to upset you or anyone else. Clearly, you have many issues with others on here including me.... and you need to stop it.... we are all here to help. it is clear you have years of experience, like everyone else on here, but now is the time to stop acting this way towards others and start helping and working with all.
                    and for the record.... this issue your having now was posted on the 7th of July. Its VERY new as you indicated, and to ask for an example of your cllip was NO type of intent what so ever but to check if I or others would have any issues as well.! I will leave it at that.
                    Last edited by ulyssesvideo; 07-13-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

So today I had a few seconds to run outside and shoot a quick clip from both the Samsung Galaxy S20 Note Ultra and the Galaxy S21 Ultra (we have both phones in the household) I only shot about 10-15 seconds of each to just see if I was having the same problem as David. I DID NOT. Both clips imported into EDIUS perfectly fine. 8K HEVC. When I preloaded the buffer it also played perfectly fine with only dropping a frame or 2 as it played. I compared the files in Media Info and they were the same.
                      Last edited by GrassValley_PS; 07-14-2021, 12:47 AM.
                      1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

Thanks for the update.
                        Steve

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
                          So today I had a few seconds to run outside and shoot a quick clip from both the Samsung Galaxy S20 Note Ultra and the Galaxy S21 Ultra (we have both phones in the household) I only shot about 10-15 seconds of each to just see if I was having the same problem as David. I DID NOT. Both clips imported into EDIUS perfectly fine. 8K HEVC. When I preloaded the buffer it also played perfectly fine with only dropping a frame or 2 as it played. I compared the files in Media Info and they were the same.
                          That’s interesting Pat. Was this test done on any of the systems in your signature? If not, what CPU was being used?

I’m using 11th Gen Intel. The takes we’re all over a few minutes long, mostly averaging about 4 minutes. They were on the front camera and using the Samsung app.

Didn’t your post originally say that Edius seen both files from the S21 and the S20 as two different frame rates? It would appear that you’ve edited your post and your now saying that both files are the same according to Media info, is that correct? Or am I mistaken?

Comment

Originally posted by GrassValley_PS View Post
                            BTW Pat. Any chance you could upload your examples for testing? Could you also supply screen shots of the Edius properties for the files and your Media info files. I only ask about the info details as I suspect you were originally correct, those files will have been VFR and are likely to have shown different frame rates, at least in Edius, this is normal for Edius regardless of the version. These types of recordings typically use frame rate as part of the mechanism for exposure, hence the differences between phones and even takes. Forcing frame rate in Edius will usually get around that.

Comment

Working...
                            X