Working with muliple AVCHD recordings on same SD card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working with muliple AVCHD recordings on same SD card

Hey there. I'm using the source browser to bring in files from SD card. Shooting multiple nights on same card and want to bring the previous night's recording into Edius to edit. Bringing in the first day of video into Edius was easy. Just copied the entire folder structure in. But what about the next day's footage. Do I have to copy the entire folder structure in again or can I simply bring in the new video (.mts) files into the existing copied folder? I tried this using Mync but it once transferred, Mync presented the limited-size video files instead of presenting them as one complete video... while the video shot the night before which was brought in by the complete folder transfer showed as one complete clip. Hope that makes sense.
    Eluktronics Max 17 Covert Laptop i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.

If you are asking about the actual files that are saved, they will be in the Transfered folder in the actual Project folder. If you are asking about what folder they appear in the Bin, the files will go in whatever folder is active when you start the copy. Also in relation to the files in the Bin, you can combine multiple clips into one, by highlighting them all, right click, and select Set Sequence. You can always break them back down by right clicking and Cancel sequence. The caveat to Set Sequence is that all of the files must be the same type.
    1: 3970X Threadripper, Asus ROG Strix TR40 E Gaming, G. Skill Trident Z Neo 128G DDR4 3600, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1T, Intel 660P M.2 2T (2), Seagate Ironwolf NAS 12T, Enermax TR4 360 AIO, Lian Li 011 DXL, AJA Kona 4, Asus ROG Thor 1200

2: i7 6950X OC to 4.5GHz, ASUS RAMPAGE V EDITION 10, Corsair Dominator Platinum 64G DDR4 2800, SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512G, GeForce GTX 1080ti SC Black, Corsair AX1200i, Phanteks Luxe, 16T RAID HGST Deskstar NAS 4T, Corsair H115i AIO, BM IP 4K

Comment

on day two, insert the card and you will see all clips on the card in sourcebrowser, now highlight only the clips you shot on day two and add/transfer to bin
      on day three, insert the card and you will see all clips on the card in sourcebrowser, now highlight only the clips you shot on day three and add/transfer to bin
      on day four, insert the card and you will see all clips on the card in sourcebrowser, now highlight only the clips you shot on day four and add/transfer to bin
      Anton Strauss
      Antons Video Productions - Sydney

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Thank you. Where do the video files go when add/transfer to bin is selected? I was originally moving the video files from the SD card to a Thunderbolt external drive. (D drive) Also, Is there a way to customize what drive the bin is located on?
        Eluktronics Max 17 Covert Laptop i7-10875H CPU @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz with 64GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design w/8GB VRAM.

Comment

I would always transfer and add to bin via source browser from a card, there is no need to copy the card to a HD in the first place

the files automatically go to a folder called Transferred inside the Project folder, this is great for house keeping and easy backup

you are in charge where you create the project, in my case I create my projects on my 8TB SSD Raid
          Anton Strauss

EDIUS X WG with BM Mini Monitor 4k and BM Mini Recorder, Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro, Intel Core i9 9960X 16 Core, 32 Threads @ 4.3Ghz, Corsair Water Cooling, Gigabyte RTX-2070 Super 3X 8GB Video Card, Samsung 860 Pro 512GB SSD for System, 8TB Samsung Raid0 SSD for Video, 2 Pioneer BDR-209 Blu-ray/DVD burners, Hotswap Bay for 3.5" Sata and 2.5" SSD, Phanteks Enthoo Pro XL Tower, Corsair 32GB DDR4 Ram, Win10 Pro

Comment

Very helpful. So, I have been unnecessarily copying cards to my external drive. I'm running out of space and can see why now. I want to get this process down so that I learn good habits at the front end here. So, I've backed-up/moved the video files I've unnecessarily copied (just in case I fail at this organization attempt) and then begun bringing video from SD cards in again with "Add and Transfer to Bin" method. I see that as I'm adding the files to the bin now with this new method I still have the old clips in the bin with the names that I gave them, "Cam-1, Cam-2", Cam-3" without the thumbnail now because I've removed the source files. Those clips are in the sequence timeline. Is there an easy way that I can replace the source file location for those clips so that I don't lose/mess up the sequence I've already completed? At the same time, new files are being added to the bin that I could rename "Cam-1", etc. How should I proceed from here?

Thanks!

Comment

Also, I notice bringing the files in from the same SD card that multiple folders are created under "transferred" starting with "D" - I'm guessing because that's the Card reader drive. Then there's "Private", 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... and under each of those folders, AVCHD. Lot's of drilling down to get to the video files. Is this normal and are there any tricks to managing the video clips easier?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by tosok View Post
                Also, I notice bringing the files in from the same SD card that multiple folders are created under "transferred" starting with "D" - I'm guessing because that's the Card reader drive. Then there's "Private", 1, 2, 3, 4, etc... and under each of those folders, AVCHD. Lot's of drilling down to get to the video files. Is this normal and are there any tricks to managing the video clips easier?

Thanks
                you don't need to drill down into these folders at all, go to sourcebrowser and you will see all clips, then drag what you need to the bin
                Anton Strauss

Comment

Originally posted by tosok View Post
                  Very helpful. So, I have been unnecessarily copying cards to my external drive. I'm running out of space and can see why now. I want to get this process down so that I learn good habits at the front end here. So, I've backed-up/moved the video files I've unnecessarily copied (just in case I fail at this organization attempt) and then begun bringing video from SD cards in again with "Add and Transfer to Bin" method. I see that as I'm adding the files to the bin now with this new method I still have the old clips in the bin with the names that I gave them, "Cam-1, Cam-2", Cam-3" without the thumbnail now because I've removed the source files. Those clips are in the sequence timeline. Is there an easy way that I can replace the source file location for those clips so that I don't lose/mess up the sequence I've already completed? At the same time, new files are being added to the bin that I could rename "Cam-1", etc. How should I proceed from here?

Thanks!
                  open the restore offline clip window and choose current sequence, then select all clips shown and relink (folder method) to the Transferred folder
                  https://www.videoproductions.com.au/...ne-restore.png
                  Anton Strauss

Comment

Working...
                  X